Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Adept 3.0 alpha (!) 5 is out

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Telemachus

Adept 3.0 alpha (!) 5 is out

#1 Post by Telemachus »

I don't use KDE or Adept, but I saw this in my most recent Debian Project News email: http://web.mornfall.net/blog/adept_3.0_alpha_5.html.

I know some folks will be happy to see it coming along, but note the Known Issues (especially the first two - super especially the first one) carefully.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

craigevil

#2 Post by craigevil »

Just curious what does adept offer that synaptic doesn't?
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Telemachus

#3 Post by Telemachus »

craigevil wrote:Just curious what does adept offer that synaptic doesn't?
I couldn't really say. I posted the note back in August because so many people had been complaining so much about Adept being taken out of Lenny. I use aptitude pretty much exclusively for package management. As far as I know, some people like it because it's KDE native. Beyond that, I don't know what's good (or bad) about it.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

infinitycircuit

#4 Post by infinitycircuit »

Although it is a GTK+ application like Synaptic, I'm personally more excited for the Aptitude GUI that was worked on during the Google Summer of Code (http://www.milliways.fr/). It has an extensively tabbed interface that looks pretty accessible and powerful.

infinitycircuit

#5 Post by infinitycircuit »

Well, it's the end of Adept. That's a shame.

http://web.mornfall.net/blog/farewell__44___adept.html

rickh

#6 Post by rickh »

Why is that (a shame). Good riddance from everything I've ever read about it.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

BioTube

#7 Post by BioTube »

Never used it, at least not at a time it actually did anything.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

AdrianTM

#8 Post by AdrianTM »

rickh wrote:
Why is that (a shame). Good riddance from everything I've ever read about it.
Never liked it, when I tried it in Kubuntu was buggy and I much rather prefer CLI tools, but I see the situation this way: for people who don't want to use it it's not a gain or loss either way, for people who like it it's a loss... so it's net loss. But I've heard that common sense can't be taught to old dogs.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

Jackiebrown

#9 Post by Jackiebrown »

craigevil wrote:Just curious what does adept offer that synaptic doesn't?
If you use those tools (I use synaptic and aptitude and they seem to coexist fine even as far as removing no longer required dependencies,) you might want a version written in the toolkit to match your DE.

It's a little annoying that installing synaptic brings in a lot of gnome. I tried installing it with no recommends on a clean install a few weeks ago and realized I needed an icon set. The icon-set led to more and more junk. And without it, I couldn't tell what was installed and what wasn't.