Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Adobe Flash

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
craigevil

Installing Adobe Flash

#1 Post by craigevil »

There have been a lot of posts lately about people having problems installing Flash, the following both work with no issues that I have seen.

If you run Stable/Etch you will want to use backport.org

Use whatever text editor you prefer as root add the backports.org repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list. I run KDE and prefer kedit so I would do kdesu kedit /etc/apt/sources.list in konsole.

[quote] 1. Add this line

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

2. Run apt-get update

3. All backports are deactivated by default. If you want to install something from backports run:

apt-get -t etch-backports install “packageâ€
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

mase

#2 Post by mase »

The flashplugin-nonfree package from backports currently doesn't install, because it
wants to download the plugin from an invalid url.

Only the multimedia package works.

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

Here's one other way to install flashplayer:

1) Click here and download the tgz:
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...0_linux.tar.gz

2) Extract it and you should see a file called 'libflashplayer.so'

3) Go into your home directory and view hidden files, you should see a '.mozilla' directory. Go into there. In this directory, if it doesn't already exist make a directory called 'plugins', then into this directory copy in the 'libflashplayer.so'. So in the end you'll have a path of:

~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

where ~ is your home directory

4) Restart firefox and it should work.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

rickh

#4 Post by rickh »

I use flashplugin-nonfree. Today on my 32-bit Sid system, the new version 10 came on my weekly full-upgrade from normal Debian repositories (contrib). I assume that it will be in Lenny in a week or so. I don't know about 64-bit since I use Gnash there. Of course that's with Epiphany ... Who knows about FireWeasel?

# aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
... is always superior to complicated instructions.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

alpha-X-geek

#5 Post by alpha-X-geek »

I'd have to agree that the instructions in the first post are over-complicating a simple procedure. If using the flashplugin-nonfree package doesn't work as it should, then grabbing the Tar from Adobe.com and installing it manually is far from difficult, especially now that Adobe have released an alpha 64-bit build of Flash Player.
Last edited by alpha-X-geek on 2008-12-18 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

AdrianTM

#6 Post by AdrianTM »

rickh wrote:I use flashplugin-nonfree. Today on my 32-bit Sid system, the new version 10 came on my weekly full-upgrade from normal Debian repositories (contrib). I assume that it will be in Lenny in a week or so. I don't know about 64-bit since I use Gnash there. Of course that's with Epiphany ... Who knows about FireWeasel?

# aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
... is always superior to complicated instructions.
It's the same, it's available in Sid 64 bit too, they added the 64 bit from adobe.com (not the latest version though but that will probably come soon)
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

edrozim

#7 Post by edrozim »

is there any chance to get flash working in stable etch? :roll:
because every post that I found about flashplugin install starts with "enable sid/backports", but I don't want to do this

mike102282

#8 Post by mike102282 »

You can install it from source from adobe.com
Debian Linux Geek

AdrianTM

#9 Post by AdrianTM »

mike102282 wrote:You can install it from source from adobe.com
By "from source" you mean binary package, right? Because there's no code source for adobe flash.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

edrozim

#10 Post by edrozim »

after digging a little a find this page :

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... in-nonfree

acording list of bugs in it I can forget about flashplayer .... let's say for a while :D

edrozim

#11 Post by edrozim »

about getting "from source" it won't work normal in this way :
as I said I leave in "stable" branch ==> so a lot of depencies will be broken and it won't work normal anyway ( I think when programmer said that he need libc6 >= 2.6 he said this not just for fun , he said this because he need some functions that supported only in version upper than 2.6).

yonnie

#12 Post by yonnie »

FlashPlayer quit working after an update around a month ago. Now I get this humongus damn play button again that rarely plays crap and blocks up the view of websites it shows up on! Whoever invented this obnoxious pathetic thing should have been shot! I went through the exercise of removing gnash and installing Flash several months ago, caused a lot of grief and lost time.
Problem is FlashPlayer 10 is still installed, it's located exactly where it's supposed to be in the .mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so. For unknown reason, it doesn't work all the time.

I don't know how IceApe calls it up. Does IceApe decide when to use Flash and when to use Gnash? Or is Gnash just going to supercede Flash all the time?

Rather than removing Gnash, which really screwed things up before, is there a simple way of disabling it so IceApe will use flash instead?
Penguin Herder

Carlosinfl

#13 Post by Carlosinfl »

Since the Gnome meta package installs swfdec (sp?) flash browser plugin, how do I remove it since being kicked in the face is more productive that this plugin? I much prefer the Adobe (non-free) plugin however I understand the Debian social contract. I just prefer they leave the decision up to me...

Telemachus

#14 Post by Telemachus »

Carloswill wrote:Since the Gnome meta package installs swfdec (sp?) flash browser plugin, how do I remove it since being kicked in the face is more productive that this plugin? I much prefer the Adobe (non-free) plugin however I understand the Debian social contract. I just prefer they leave the decision up to me...
You have a very short memory: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=184344
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Carlosinfl

#15 Post by Carlosinfl »

Ah - I thought I asked that on the Arch forums a few months ago. I need to stop switching distros...

plugwash

#16 Post by plugwash »

rickh wrote: I assume that it will be in Lenny in a week or so.
Seems highly unlikely to me, flashplugin-nonfree was kicked from lenny due to the instability of adobe's download URLs. Even if it wasn't for that issue the chances of a major new upstream version of anything making it into lenny at this point is extremely low.

It may make it into lenny-backports or lenny-volatile at some point though.

yonnie

#17 Post by yonnie »

My previous post in this thread was in error, sorry. According to my package manager I don't have gnash installed. So the hugemongous play button is not being generated by gnash. According to the IceApe installed plugins, I have flashplayer and futuresplash installed.

So does anybody have a clue as to what is generating the big pathetic play button?
Penguin Herder

qpieus

#18 Post by qpieus »

yonnie wrote:So does anybody have a clue as to what is generating the big pathetic play button?
yonnie - I just came across this article:
http://www.deviceguru.com/adding-real-f ... ian-lenny/

Near the end of the article the author talks about a large play button:
"Incidentally, on my installation, the default flash plugin that came with Lenny (flash-mozilla.so) required me to click a large play button..."

Maybe the info can be of help to you...