Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to find the installed software in the Menu

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
nayoo

How to find the installed software in the Menu

#1 Post by nayoo »

Is there any command in Linux to find the installed software in the menu system?

Just now, I have installed Kivio and Dia in order to draw some blocks and flow charts for a report. My problem is that after the installation, I still could not find the softwares in the menu. I launched the softwares from command prompt.

That will be great if I could type some commands to find out under which menu those softwares were placed without going into the menus one by one checking.

Thank you. :roll:

Lou

#2 Post by Lou »

$ update-menus

as long as you're there:

# updatedb

nayoo

#3 Post by nayoo »

I did

Code: Select all

update-menus
followed by

Code: Select all

updatedb
as you mentioned.

But I still could not find Kivio and Dia in menus.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Big nuisance problem. I hate it when that happens. :) Try locate Kivio to see what's installed and where it went. Ditto Dia. Also, try man for each of them. You might find that the name you are looking for is not what's on the menu or it's not where you expect it. Some programs don't do into the menu unless you manually put it there; I don't know why.

nayoo

#5 Post by nayoo »

Bulkley wrote:Big nuisance problem. I hate it when that happens. :) Try locate Kivio to see what's installed and where it went. Ditto Dia. Also, try man for each of them. You might find that the name you are looking for is not what's on the menu or it's not where you expect it.
Ok, I'll try it tonight.
Bulkley wrote:Some programs don't do into the menu unless you manually put it there; I don't know why.
Then, how shall I manually add the programs into the menu?

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#6 Post by domecq »

nayoo wrote:
Bulkley wrote:Some programs don't do into the menu unless you manually put it there; I don't know why.
Pick any entry from the menu you want to add, right-click and the rest is easy. ;)

nayoo

#7 Post by nayoo »

domecq wrote: Pick any entry from the menu you want to add, right-click and the rest is easy. ;)
I see. Thanks domecq.

May I know:
  1. whether it is possible to add the program into the menus from command prompt? (I'm just being curious. I know your hint will definitely work.)
  2. I wonder how the Debian Systems menu system is contructed. Any menu database or configuration scripts? Possible to edit those files by hand?
BTW, I'm using Gnome.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#8 Post by domecq »

I'm curious too so, I'll pass it on. But before, one comment... I know that versions of Gnome that are newer than the one Sarge has, and from other distributions (I didn't touch Debian testing or unstable so far), they don't have a menu editor and there are a couple of menu editors that were created to do the menu edition job. So, taking that into account, I assume (and I might be wrong) that edit the Gnome menu from command line is not a simple task.

nayoo

#9 Post by nayoo »

domecq wrote:I'm curious too so, I'll pass it on.
I respect your frankness and honesty.
domecq wrote: But before, one comment... I know that versions of Gnome that are newer than the one Sarge has, and from other distributions (I didn't touch Debian testing or unstable so far), they don't have a menu editor and there are a couple of menu editors that were created to do the menu edition job. So, taking that into account, I assume (and I might be wrong) that edit the Gnome menu from command line is not a simple task.
Ok, I'll explore more when I'm free and post some findings here later on for the benefit of community. Also, if someone who knows how to do it, pls kindly post some hints or info. I'll appreciate any.

Domecq, thanks again, for your answers.

brian

#10 Post by brian »

Q.
A.
Pick any entry from the menu you want to add, right-click and the rest is easy.
My Q. If it doesn't exist in the menu to begin with, how shall I "Pick any entry from the menu..." ?

What am I not getting? :?

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#11 Post by domecq »

brian wrote:My Q. If it doesn't exist in the menu to begin with, how shall I "Pick any entry from the menu..." ?
Right-click on any entry and you'll see an option to add a new entry.