Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What's the smallest Debian based distribution that has GNOME

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Soul Singin'

#21 Post by Soul Singin' »

Panarchy wrote:Ubuntu's winning, not losing.

Hahahahahah
"Gee ... all those teenage boys are masturbating over Ubuntu. Damn, I better get my act together and run with that crowd."

Panarchy wrote:Although my rant about the usability of Debian is still valid.
Did you miss my rebuttal of your "rant" in the other thread? Here it is again, just in case you missed it.

You complained that Debian is not "useable" because:
Panarchy wrote:The Firefox version that was installed was something like version 2.0.0.19. Not the latest version (3.0.5) and not even the most recent version 2 (2.0.0.20).

Which is the last security update for the version 2 of Firefox...

So there's my first hassle. I change Debian repostiories to Ubuntu's, update the repositories. Apt-get remove firefox, apt-get install firefox, was still getting version 2.0.0.19. So I did a sudo apt-get clean, followed by a, sudo apt-get autoclean. Then I ran sudo apt-get update once more.

Apt-get remove firefox, apt-get install firefox. Still getting 2.0.0.19.
Yes. Let's install a distribution that was released back in April 2007 and complain that it doesn't have a browser that was released 14 months later (June 2008). What were those Debian developers thinking anyway? Why didn't they just "foreport" the software?

And while we're at it, let's ignore Debian Backports and jeopardize the stability of our systems by mixing Debian and Ubuntu repositories. No need to worry. When APT complains that a package isn't installable, we'll just blame Debian.

Blaming Debian will solve all of our problems.

pcalvert

#22 Post by pcalvert »

Panarchy wrote:The Firefox version that was installed was something like version 2.0.0.19. Not the latest version (3.0.5) and not even the most recent version 2 (2.0.0.20).

What you wrote right there is a strong clue that you really don't know what you are doing. Since you seem to prefer GNOME, I recommend that you just use Ubuntu. Although most people probably take the easy path and install Ubuntu from the liveCD, it is possible to install a minimal (text-only) Ubuntu system and then add only the software that you want.

BTW, Debian developers update software to patch security holes on a regular basis, so you don't need the latest version of Iceweasel (Firefox) to get the security updates. Assuming that the security repository is enabled in sources.list, of course.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

julian67

#23 Post by julian67 »

Out of all the hundreds of distros out there the one I could never recommend, the one that's bound to be complete screw up, the one "created" by a clueless troll, the one with the elegance and integrity of a lego house built by chimpanzees, is PanarchyBandwagonDoofusLinux.

I have an idea for its desktop graphic though.....

Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Panarchy

#24 Post by Panarchy »

^Wow, one thousand posts. Have all your posts been so crappy?
pcalvert wrote:

What you wrote right there is a strong clue that you really don't know what you are doing. Since you seem to prefer GNOME, I recommend that you just use Ubuntu. Although most people probably take the easy path and install Ubuntu from the liveCD, it is possible to install a minimal (text-only) Ubuntu system and then add only the software that you want.

BTW, Debian developers update software to patch security holes on a regular basis, so you don't need the latest version of Iceweasel (Firefox) to get the security updates. Assuming that the security repository is enabled in sources.list, of course.

Phil
Thanks for your recommendations.

I have attempted installing from the MinimalCD, the ServerCD, the AlternateCD and... of course, the original.

I hear something about the Debian I downloaded not being the latest (14 months old). In that case, could someone please direct me to a very minimal, but up-to-date Debian installation, as I don't want to lose hope on a distribution that's been around since '93.

Panarchy

Absent Minded

#25 Post by Absent Minded »

Ubuntu gets most of their stuff from the Sid repository, however if you are seroius about it I would recomend that you take your stuff from the Lenny repo.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

infinitycircuit

#26 Post by infinitycircuit »

Panarchy wrote: So there's my first hassle. I change Debian repostiories to Ubuntu's, update the repositories. Apt-get remove firefox, apt-get install firefox, was still getting version 2.0.0.19. So I did a sudo apt-get clean, followed by a, sudo apt-get autoclean. Then I ran sudo apt-get update once more.

Apt-get remove firefox, apt-get install firefox. Still getting 2.0.0.19.

So I went back into my sources.list file, and it had reverted back to Debian's default.
This might be the funniest thing I have ever read. "It had reverted back to Debian's default." That just means that you forgot to save your changes.

Incidentally, the newest version of firefox version 2 in Ubuntu is 2.0.0.19 as well.

Panarchy

#27 Post by Panarchy »

Ahh... nope. I saved my changes. Was using gedit, so it was very easy to save, wouldn't of made such a mistake.

julian67

#28 Post by julian67 »

Panarchy wrote:Ahh... nope. I saved my changes. Was using gedit, so it was very easy to save, wouldn't of made such a mistake.
It must be truly puzzling to be so infallible and yet so prone to failure.

btw it's "wouldn't have", not "wouldn't of".

anticapitalista

#29 Post by anticapitalista »

julian67,
btw it's "wouldn't have", not "wouldn't of"
c'mon no need to be so picky here ;)

Look, the guy wants to make his own distro, let him do so for better or worse.

julian67

#30 Post by julian67 »

anticapitalista wrote:julian67,
btw it's "wouldn't have", not "wouldn't of"
c'mon no need to be so picky here ;)

Look, the guy wants to make his own distro, let him do so for better or worse.
If someone asserts they are unable to make a simple error, which we all make, they had better expect any to be pointed out. To make a simple error while asserting that one doesn't make them is too good to pass up.

That utterly misplaced self-assurance, and the confidence that experience measured in weeks is a good foundation for criticising a project like Debian and rejecting all the good advice offered is breathtakingly stupid and arrogant. But of course the failure of the package manager to behave as expected must be down to some as yet unidentified and unique bug, not because he either forgot to save the changes or edited the sources without root privilege. Most people would just say "Oh I must have made a mistake or misunderstood something", but to someone like panarchy the event is proof of a defective product and others' inadequacies in doing the work for him.

So I'm being picky.

I don't think you'll be getting any serious competition in the super light Debian derived distro space quite yet......

Soul Singin'

#31 Post by Soul Singin' »

anticapitalista wrote:Look, the guy wants to make his own distro, let him do so for better or worse.
@ Panarchy -- Take note. When the topic of conversation shifts away from the technical details of the project and shifts towards the personality of the project manager, the project is doomed and the manager should/will be fired.

Panarchy

#32 Post by Panarchy »

^*cough*Not for profit*/cough*^
^*cough*No corporate sponsor*/cough*^

julian67 wrote:I don't think you'll be getting any serious competition in the super light Debian derived distro space quite yet......
Oh, well that's good to know.

:roll:

Panarchy

Re: What's the smallest Debian based distribution that has G

#33 Post by Panarchy »

Back on topic now
Panarchy wrote:Hi

What's the smallest Debian based distribution which uses GNOME as it's default desktop environment?

Or, what's the smallest Debian based distribution? (one that I can add GNOME to)

As I've been working on a distribution built on Ubuntu, but I don't know for sure if I'll be able to fit everything on a CD (702MB).

Are there any 'smaller' distributions out there, which are built on debian, and uses/can use GNOME as it's desktop environment?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Panarchy

jalu

#34 Post by jalu »

Panarchy wrote:
Back on topic now...

AbsentMinded:
Why are you over looking the obvious? Just use a customized version of Debian. You can make it as small as you want. take a businesscard install and add what you want of Gnome to it. if you want a live CD then you can use squeeze(i think it is) to compress the disk
Lou:
how about a minimal install and then add:

apt-get install xorg gnome-core ??
Kats:
The best way is to start with a minimal debian, then do

Code:
# aptitude install gnome-desktop-environment -R

Will install gnome without any recommends.
Cope57:
Lou wrote:

I would agree with this completely.
and all others who, in my opinion, tried to help,
even if it doesn`t sound like that.

The question is answered, isn`t it?
I`m serious, Panarchy, i see no question which is left.

Soul Singin'

#35 Post by Soul Singin' »

Soul Singin' wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:Look, the guy wants to make his own distro, let him do so for better or worse.
@ Panarchy -- Take note. When the topic of conversation shifts away from the technical details of the project and shifts towards the personality of the project manager, the project is doomed and the manager should/will be fired.
Panarchy wrote:^*cough*Not for profit*/cough*^
^*cough*No corporate sponsor*/cough*^
I was a competitive swimmer from my early childhood straight through college. In practice, our coaches yelled at us if we didn't sprint through our pain. They yelled at us if we didn't reach for the wall at the end of a long set. They made us take every part of practice seriously because "what you do in practice is what you do in a race."

Right now, you're practicing. You're in career training. And what you do in practice, you'll do on the job.

So take this project seriously, Panarchy. Treat this project as if it had a "corporate sponsor." Listen to what people on this forum are saying to you. Imagine that they are your bosses and ask yourself: "If forum member X was my boss, would he/she be pleased with my work?"

For what it's worth, if I were your boss, I would have fired you by now.

Kats

#36 Post by Kats »

"Hi guys! Your distro SUCKS, but I still want to base my own distro on it, which will mostely be the same thing without the security!"

Anyway, have to agree with Lou on gnome-core, alot more minimal than gnome-desktop-environment.
~ I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

Panarchy

#37 Post by Panarchy »

jalu wrote:Panarchy wrote:
Back on topic now...
AbsentMinded:
Why are you over looking the obvious? Just use a customized version of Debian. You can make it as small as you want. take a businesscard install and add what you want of Gnome to it. if you want a live CD then you can use squeeze(i think it is) to compress the disk
Lou:

Kats:
The best way is to start with a minimal debian, then do

Code:
# aptitude install gnome-desktop-environment -R

Will install gnome without any recommends.
Cope57:
Lou wrote:

I would agree with this completely.
and all others who, in my opinion, tried to help,
even if it doesn`t sound like that.

The question is answered, isn`t it?
I`m serious, Panarchy, i see no question which is left.
Thanks for listing some of the valid replies to my first post.

However, I am looking for more things, such as Debris which has been built from Debian at some point.

So if you have any suggestions like that, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

dede

#38 Post by dede »

The smallest is Debris. There is no other known distro with Gnome & Debian with less than approx 640MB.

Suggestions:
-Remastersys (http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/)
Go to the above page and forum, you will find people doing bootable dist and backups of Debian and Ubuntu systems.
It is very easy to make your installed system a bootable live-cd or live-dvd with Remastersys, really, i've already done, 30 minutes to put my 3.5GB Debian Gnome in 1.2GB live-dvd.

-Debian (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/)
Install the Debian Testing iso cd-1 only and make it the way you want. Then, Remastersys.

-Debian Live Project (http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/)
Maybe you can strip down a Debian live cd of Lxde (481MB) or Gnome (+700MB) and make your own flavour. See the Download section.

-CrunchBang (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05288)
An easy to use Openbox distro based on Ubuntu. The design is a must, doesn't need to be changed. (crunchbang-lite-8.10.02.i386.iso 448MB)

-sidux (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05259)
Excellent distro and the fastest installer I've ever saw. Only KDE or Xfce versions, but you can make your own Gnome version starting from Xfce because it is smaller and Xfce is very compatible with Gnome.
Download the Xfce version, install on hdd, install the Debian Lenny kernel, install Gnome, install Remastersys and make your live cd.
(sidux-2008-04-xfce-i386.iso 385MB) new with 2.6.27 kernel
(sidux-2008-03-xfce-i386.iso 391MB) 2.6.26 kernel, maybe more more compatible with Debian Lenny.

Kats

#39 Post by Kats »

Actually, using live-helper and installing just gnome-core, you get a 420+ mB image of Debian with gnome, if you flag aptitude to don't install recommends.
~ I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

Panarchy

#40 Post by Panarchy »

dede wrote:The smallest is Debris. There is no other known distro with Gnome & Debian with less than approx 640MB.

Suggestions:
-Remastersys (http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/)
Go to the above page and forum, you will find people doing bootable dist and backups of Debian and Ubuntu systems.
It is very easy to make your installed system a bootable live-cd or live-dvd with Remastersys, really, i've already done, 30 minutes to put my 3.5GB Debian Gnome in 1.2GB live-dvd.

-Debian (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/)
Install the Debian Testing iso cd-1 only and make it the way you want. Then, Remastersys.

-Debian Live Project (http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/)
Maybe you can strip down a Debian live cd of Lxde (481MB) or Gnome (+700MB) and make your own flavour. See the Download section.

-CrunchBang (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05288)
An easy to use Openbox distro based on Ubuntu. The design is a must, doesn't need to be changed. (crunchbang-lite-8.10.02.i386.iso 448MB)

-sidux (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05259)
Excellent distro and the fastest installer I've ever saw. Only KDE or Xfce versions, but you can make your own Gnome version starting from Xfce because it is smaller and Xfce is very compatible with Gnome.
Download the Xfce version, install on hdd, install the Debian Lenny kernel, install Gnome, install Remastersys and make your live cd.
(sidux-2008-04-xfce-i386.iso 385MB) new with 2.6.27 kernel
(sidux-2008-03-xfce-i386.iso 391MB) 2.6.26 kernel, maybe more more compatible with Debian Lenny.
CrunchBang's terminal emulator: terminator 8)

Thanks for your reply.

The only issue I have against using debris, is that I have been having a lot of trouble with installing it. I've only tried with VMware Workstation 6.5.1.

If you'd recommend me some way to install it, I'd appreciate it (or a premade VMware image).

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy