Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem installing Debian Etch

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Christmas

Problem installing Debian Etch

#1 Post by Christmas »

I currently have installed Debian 3.1r1. I downloaded Debian Etch Beta 2 and decided to install it. I have a problem: to connect to the internet, my ISP gives me a program, so I have to use that program and a username and a password to actually get connected, even if I have my network configuration (IP, SM, GW, DNS, DNS) done. So after the installation of the base system appears "Configuring APT" and then the installer is trying to access Debian Updates site, but no connection is present. So the installation blocks, because even if my IPs are correct, the program needed to access the internet doesn't work. How can I install it? I mean if someone with no internet connection tries to install Etch it will fail?

LE: Sorry for posting this here, even if the section is for Debian Sarge I couldn't find another better section to post this.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

First question - is this program a Windows program?

Christmas

#3 Post by Christmas »

No, it is a Linux program. I don't have to run it with Wine. It runs in console through this command "NetAccess user password". Actually not the program is the problem here, but the fact that the installer keeps trying to configure apt connecting to the debian updates site. The internet connection is not working, but it won't give a message error, it just stops and tries to connect endless... The same problem I had trying to install Kubuntu 6.06 Flight 7.
TuxArena

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

Christmas wrote:I currently have installed Debian 3.1r1. I downloaded Debian Etch Beta 2 and decided to install it. I have a problem: to connect to the internet, my ISP gives me a program, so I have to use that program and a username and a password to actually get connected, even if I have my network configuration (IP, SM, GW, DNS, DNS) done. So after the installation of the base system appears "Configuring APT" and then the installer is trying to access Debian Updates site, but no connection is present. So the installation blocks, because even if my IPs are correct, the program needed to access the internet doesn't work. How can I install it? I mean if someone with no internet connection tries to install Etch it will fail?

Usually that works very well when one has an Internet connection like cable or LAN.
It could be possible to make your ISP program to work at the installation but that could be very complex of a task.
An easier way is to install the base and get apt from cds/dvds and configure your ISP connection when the system is fully installed.
By the way, what kind of connection you have and what nice ISP is that which gave a program for Linux? ;)
Christmas wrote:LE: Sorry for posting this here, even if the section is for Debian Sarge I couldn't find another better section to post this.
OK, good point. So I move to this forum, since it's the one recommended when not sure where to post.

Christmas

#5 Post by Christmas »

domecq wrote:An easier way is to install the base and get apt from cds/dvds and configure your ISP connection when the system is fully installed.
By the way, what kind of connection you have and what nice ISP is that which gave a program for Linux?
I tried this way too, but for some reason the base system instalation... just doesn't work. After a reboot i get "GRUB error 15". The ISP is a romanian one (as I'm from Romania) and yes, it was a surprise even for me to see a program for Linux too. I was using Windows before and after I installed Linux I was afraid they don't provide a Linux program for connecting but I was lucky.

Back to my problem, I think I tried every way possible. Now I'm on Sarge. Should the installation work if I choose "Do not configure the network at this time" and then replacing the /etc/hosts and /etc/network/interfaces files with the ones I have now on Sarge? They include all the IPs needed for connection, this is the only thing I didn't tried yet.

Thanks for your answers and, please, keep them coming.
TuxArena

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#6 Post by domecq »

Christmas wrote:Back to my problem, I think I tried every way possible. Now I'm on Sarge. Should the installation work if I choose "Do not configure the network at this time" and then replacing the /etc/hosts and /etc/network/interfaces files with the ones I have now on Sarge? They include all the IPs needed for connection, this is the only thing I didn't tried yet.
Yes, the installation would work if you choose "do not configure the network at this time" and configure it after the system is installed. That's what I suggested before but with other words.

And what connection you have? ADSL?

Christmas

#7 Post by Christmas »

Ok thanks so I will make it without network configuration from the installation process. I hope that I will be able to configure it from the GUI or copying those files. Thanks a lot.

My connection is cable, internal speed up to 1-2, even 3 MB and external a maximum of 1 MB.
TuxArena

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#8 Post by domecq »

Christmas wrote:My connection is cable, internal speed up to 1-2, even 3 MB and external a maximum of 1 MB.
Cable? That's interesting... mine is too and it doesn't require any program, just to configure network to automatically get things from a DHCP...
Is the program your ISP provided you with some sort of authentication program?

Christmas

#9 Post by Christmas »

Yes well at the beginning we didn't need a program for the connection. But TU-Net has a growing network which includes people who... just don't pay for the connection and actually stole IPs. So this was a security measure to prevent such things happen.
TuxArena