Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HowTo Install a Flash Player

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
EMD

HowTo Install a Flash Player

#1 Post by EMD »

A member of these forums PM'd me to ask how to install Flash player, so I thought I'd make a HowTo out of my answer.

First, remember that there are Free/Open-Source alternatives to Adobe's Flash Player, such as Gnash and Swfdec. Personally, I use the latest version of Gnash 0.8.3. It plays YouTube videos and a lot of other SWF videos, but it's not a complete replacement for Adobe Flash in the way that OpenOffice is a complete replacement for MS Office.

The Swfdec and Gnash instructions below assume that you are running Debian Lenny. There are versions of Swfdec and Gnash for Debian Etch, but they are pretty poor substitutes for Adobe Flash. I encourage you to use Free/Open-Source Software, but if you're running Debian Etch, please do NOT jeopardize the stability of your system by installing the versions of Swfdec or Gnash for Debian Lenny/Sid.

Swfdec instructions
=============

To install Swfdec on Debian Lenny, you would run:

# apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree
# apt-get install swfdec-mozilla libswfdec-0.6-90 libsidplay1 gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

Restart Iceweasel and enjoy.

Gnash instructions
============

To install the latest version of Gnash (0.8.3) in Debian Lenny, you'll have to choose whether you want to use AGG (Antigrain) or OpenGL as the rendering backend. If in doubt, choose AGG, but if you have hardware-acceleration you may want to use OpenGL.

I'll come back to that point in a minute, but first run:

# apt-get install gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

Now, if you want AGG to do the rendering, run:

# apt-get install gnash
gnash-common gnash-common gnash-cygnal gnash-tools konqueror-plugin-gnash klash mozilla-plugin-gnash

Alternatively, if you want OpenGL to do the rendering, run:

# apt-get install gnash
gnash-common-opengl gnash-common gnash-cygnal gnash-tools konqueror-plugin-gnash klash mozilla-plugin-gnash

In either case, finish by restarting Iceweasel. Enjoy.

Adobe Flash instructions
================

As I mentioned above, Gnash or Swfdec is not as compatible with Adobe's proprietary format as Adobe's own software. It has taken a lot of time, but I have learned not to care when a SWF video doesn't play. In fact, I even block most of them with the Mozilla NoScript plugin. Nonetheless, there are occasions when I want to watch Flash videos and I am tempted to go back to Adobe.

So far the bug hasn't gotten me, but if it gets you, you can install Adobe Flash either the Sid repository or the Etch-Backports repository. I recommend Etch-Backports.

To install from Etch-Backports, add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

and run:

# wget -O - http://backports.org/debian/archive.key | apt-key add -
# apt-get update
# apt-get -t etch-backports install flashplugin-nonfree

Last edited by EMD on 2008-07-14 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Q.: "I typed mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n usb /dev/sda1 just like you told me to and now Windows won't start. What happened?"
A.: "You forgot to think!"

El1iP3S01D

Emd, this is my way of installing Flash Player...

#2 Post by El1iP3S01D »

I create a folder named Flash on my /home/el1ip3s01d/Flash Once created i cd on the folder and then you type su afterwards type your password.

Then type this line into your /etc/apt/sources/list

echo deb http://www.dipconsultants.com/debian etch main >> /etc/apt/sources.list
type apt-get update once update has updated you type apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk nspluginwrapper Once that's installed you as root you type

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... nux.tar.gz
Then you type
tar -xvzf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz once that command is completed you should see 3 files.

Afterwards, you cd into install_flash_player_9_linux . Now you copy two files into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ Like this: remember this is the command you are using.
cp flashplayer-installer libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Finally the final step is this you cd.. back to /home/el1ip3s01d/Flash and you type
nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so Hit enter and your done...

Now start Iceweasel and go into youtube.com and type TDU Drift and Flash player should playi my favorite videos from TDU... 8) :)
By the way, Ryoko my Turtle and Saleen s7 TT rule my world...:-p

dinesh

#3 Post by dinesh »

Installed it and works great. thanks for the tut.

Arthur Archnix

#4 Post by Arthur Archnix »

You know what you might want to do, for those moments when gnash fails you, is download the tar.gz of adobe's flash plugin. Extract it and you get a .so file. Delete everything else. Now, anytime you come across a video or something that you absolutely need flash on, just move the .so file (it's the flash extension) to your iceweasel plugin folder. Restart iceweasel.

Would this work? I don't know. I've not tested this myself with gnash installed. It could be that they fight, or that you may need to move gnash's plugin out of there first. This is how I run flash though, to keep adobe's dirty little fingers out of my apt.

Eck

#5 Post by Eck »

Not mentioned was that debian-multimedia.org still has the latest Adobe Flash in their flashplayer-mozilla package. Easier to just install that if one has that repo active anyway.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

diver858

#6 Post by diver858 »

Removed - no longer relevant.
Last edited by diver858 on 2008-07-13 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

diver858

Re: HowTo Install a Flash Player

#7 Post by diver858 »

EMD wrote:
Adobe Flash instructions
================

As I mentioned above, Gnash or Swfdec is not as compatible with Adobe's proprietary format as Adobe's own software. It has taken a lot of time, but I have learned not to care when a SWF video doesn't play. In fact, I even block most of them with the Mozilla NoScript plugin. Nonetheless, there are occasions when I want to watch Flash videos and I am tempted to go back to Adobe.

So far the bug hasn't gotten me, but if it gets you, you can install Adobe Flash either the Sid repository or the Etch-Backports repository. I recommend Etch-Backports.

To install from Etch-Backports, add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

and run:

# apt-get update

Just upgraded from Etch to Lenny, attempted the above, and received the following:

Code: Select all

familyroom1:/home/ginger# apt-get -t etch-backports install flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package flashplugin-nonfree has no installation candidate
Please comment.

EMD

#8 Post by EMD »

diver858 wrote:Please comment.
You didn't follow my directions.
EMD wrote:To install from Etch-Backports, add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

and run:

# apt-get update
Q.: "I typed mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n usb /dev/sda1 just like you told me to and now Windows won't start. What happened?"

diver858

#9 Post by diver858 »

Apologies in advance for being such a noob - guess I don't understand what is meant by the vertical line

Code: Select all

familyroom1:/home/ginger# nano /etc/apt/sources.list
familyroom1:/home/ginger# wget -O - http://backports.org/debian/archive.key
--2008-07-13 19:50:20--  http://backports.org/debian/archive.key
Resolving backports.org... 194.8.57.6
Connecting to backports.org|194.8.57.6|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1933 (1.9K) [application/pgp-keys]
Saving to: `STDOUT'

0% [                                       ] 0           --.-K/s              -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (GNU/Linux)
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==
=fBrI
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
100%[======================================>] 1,933       --.-K/s   in 0.002s  

2008-07-13 19:50:20 (867 KB/s) - `-' saved [1933/1933]

familyroom1:/home/ginger# sudo apt-key add -
Got this far, and simply have a flashing cursor - no # symbol.

Some further guidance, please?

EMD

#10 Post by EMD »

diver858 wrote:Apologies in advance for being such a noob - guess I don't understand what is meant by the vertical line
Just above the "Enter" button on your keyboard, there's a button with a vertical line (called a "pipe"). Find it.

diver858

#11 Post by diver858 »

EMD wrote:
diver858 wrote:Apologies in advance for being such a noob - guess I don't understand what is meant by the vertical line
Just above the "Enter" button on your keyboard, there's a button with a vertical line (called a "pipe"). Find it.
Thanks, EMD.

Flash seems to run, but only video. I am able to perform system sounds, and play mp3 files from another computer on the network.

Any suggestions.

diver858

#12 Post by diver858 »

diver858 wrote:
EMD wrote:
Thanks, EMD.

Flash seems to run, but only video. I am able to perform system sounds, and play mp3 files from another computer on the network.

Any suggestions.
SOLUTION found http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=28893

adam933

#13 Post by adam933 »

Just wanted to say thanks to EMD.

I followed the instructions and iceweasel and epiphany show flash videos like a charm.

I have Lenny (testing).

Really appreciate the help.

vinoman

#14 Post by vinoman »

EMD wrote:A member of these forums PM'd me to ask how to install Flash player, so I thought I'd make a HowTo out of my answer.

First, remember that there are Free/Open-Source alternatives to Adobe's Flash Player, such as Gnash and Swfdec. Personally, I use the latest version of Gnash 0.8.3. It plays YouTube videos and a lot of other SWF videos, but it's not a complete replacement for Adobe Flash in the way that OpenOffice is a complete replacement for MS Office.

The Swfdec and Gnash instructions below assume that you are running Debian Lenny. There are versions of Swfdec and Gnash for Debian Etch, but they are pretty poor substitutes for Adobe Flash. I encourage you to use Free/Open-Source Software, but if you're running Debian Etch, please do NOT jeopardize the stability of your system by installing the versions of Swfdec or Gnash for Debian Lenny/Sid.

Swfdec instructions
=============

To install Swfdec on Debian Lenny, you would run:

# apt-get install swfdec-mozilla libswfdec-0.6-90 libsidplay1 gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

Gnash instructions
============

To install the latest version of Gnash (0.8.3) in Debian Lenny, you'll have to choose whether you want to use AGG (Antigrain) or OpenGL as the rendering backend. If in doubt, choose AGG, but if you have hardware-acceleration you may want to use OpenGL.

I'll come back to that point in a minute, but first run:

# apt-get install gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

# apt-get install gnash
gnash-common gnash-common gnash-cygnal gnash-tools konqueror-plugin-gnash klash mozilla-plugin-gnash

Alternatively, if you want OpenGL to do the rendering, run:

# apt-get install gnash
gnash-common-opengl gnash-common gnash-cygnal gnash-tools konqueror-plugin-gnash klash mozilla-plugin-gnash

In either case, finish by restarting Iceweasel. Enjoy.

Adobe Flash instructions
================

and run:

# apt-get update

when running the first command I get this error:

debian:/home/davek# apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package flashplugin-nonfree is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
debian:/home/davek#

what am I doing wrong?

mase

#15 Post by mase »

That is no error. It is supposed to look like that if you
didn't have flashplugin-nonfree installed previously.

Go ahead with the instructions.

fullmetalgerbil

#16 Post by fullmetalgerbil »

Uhm, I've found it much easier to load Adobe Flash 10 by simply deselecting swfdec from synaptic, going to the Adobe site, downloading the Flash 10 .deb (it says for Ubuntu but it still works perfectly) and then running dpkg -i to install it. It works fine, at least on Lenny.

craigevil

#17 Post by craigevil »

Too bad swfdec and gnash both suck. When they work as well as Adobe Flash then they will be worth using. As it is there are too many sites neither one will work on. If you do not believe hang out in #debian for a few days and look at all the people that have issues with swfdec/gnash.

apt-get install flashplayer-mozilla or apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree works on any flash site.

I run debian because it works and is easy to install/maintain not because I am a "free" zealot.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Soul Singin'

#18 Post by Soul Singin' »

craigevil wrote:Too bad swfdec and gnash both suck. When they work as well as Adobe Flash then they will be worth using. ...

I run debian because it works and is easy to install/maintain not because I am a "free" zealot.
I can see both sides of the coin. On the one hand, you're right. Swfdec and Gnash do suck. They don't work as well as Adobe Flash, so -- if your only objective is to have a good web browsing experience -- then it's hard to justify running Swfdec or Gnash.

On the other hand, Adobe Flash works better because Flash is Adobe's proprietary file format, which Swfdec and Gnash have to reverse engineer. So the Swfdec and Gnash developers need people to test their product and contribute to its development.

If you don't want Microsoft to control your office documents, then contribute to the development of Free/Open Source alternatives, so that they can better convert MS Office file formats. Similarly, if you don't want Adobe to control your web browser, then contribute to the development of Swfdec and Gnash, so that they can better convert Adobe Flash.

Am I a Free/Open Source Software Zealot? Perhaps. Am I anti-capitalist? Absolutely NOT! I believe that a more competitive market is a healthier market, so I want competition in computer software. I love the way GNOME, XFCE and KDE battle it out to produce a better desktop. I love the competition between AbiWord, Gnumeric and OpenOffice.

In computer software however, the fastest way to crush your competition is to quickly develop a proprietary file format (of any quality) and distribute it widely, so that it becomes the "de facto standard." Then -- once everyone coalesces around your format -- sell developer kits for thousands of dollars per seat and leave your competition out in the cold. Technological development will grind to a halt under the oppressive weight of your monopoly, but what do you care? You're making big money!

I don't want monopolies Microsoft and Adobe to control my office documents and my web browser. I want technological progress. I want a competitive market. And if I have to subsidize a weaker product to help restore competition and progress, then so be it.

Frannie

#19 Post by Frannie »

EMD Hi,

I presume, the red and green print in the following code you supplied earlier, means you only type ini the green or red wording or do you type in both the green and red wording?

Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------

# apt-get install gnash gnash-common gnash-common gnash-cygnal gnash-tools konqueror-plugin-gnash klash mozilla-plugin-gnash

Frannie

#20 Post by Frannie »

At last, I managed to get Adobe Flash to install.

I'ts the .deb version. The tr. version didn't want to know.

I've no idea what piece of advice helped, but lots of thanks to everyone who offered solutions.