Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The update on Feb 10 2009 made my system extremely unstable

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Fede.Campana

The update on Feb 10 2009 made my system extremely unstable

#1 Post by Fede.Campana »

I installed the update on Feb 10 and since most of times Debian crashes (freezes, nothing moves) after 5 to 15 minutes of normal use. Sometimes while on Iceweasel, sometimes when modelling in Blender 3D.

Is there any way I can go back to the version before Feb 10 2009?

Please Help! :o)

mike102282

#2 Post by mike102282 »

I don't think there is, however I seriously doubt that the updated did this since it was mostly just security fixes.
Debian Linux Geek

pcalvert

#3 Post by pcalvert »

I am running Etch.

Code: Select all

# aptitude upgrade -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  gnumeric gnumeric-common libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 libgnutls13
  linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 locales
8 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 36.6MB of archives. After unpacking 1524kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
It looks like a fairly major upgrade. That's why I haven't upgraded yet. I hesitate to upgrade if aptitude wants to upgrade a bunch of things and I don't know why.

I am subscribed to the debian-security-announce mailing list. Of the above packages, I have only received a notice about one of them-- libgnutls13.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

I just had some thoughts about your problem. Are you using a standard Debian kernel, or did you compile the kernel yourself? What kind of video card is in your computer, and did you have to do anything special to get it working?

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Fede.Campana

#5 Post by Fede.Campana »

pcalvert wrote:I just had some thoughts about your problem. Are you using a standard Debian kernel, or did you compile the kernel yourself? What kind of video card is in your computer, and did you have to do anything special to get it working?

Phil
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the kind reply. I am using a standard Debian Kernel (I am beginner, so no self-compiling yet ;o).

The video card has always been somewhat of a problem in my PC, so maybe you are asking the right question. It is a "Radeon 9500 120M DDR VO DVI-I" (written on barcode sticker) and says "powered by ATI" on its fan. I didn't do anything special to get working, it was recognised automatically when I installed Debian.

My PC is 2005, so perhaps it is simply too old for the latest OSs? Coming from WinXP, in January I wanted to switch to Linux so I first tried Ubuntu, which froze always in 5-15 minutes of installation from live CD. Then I tried OpenSUSE, which worked reasonably OK but when opening too many windows (say a OpenOffice Writer, Firefox and something else) it froze. Then I moved to Debian Etch which worked perfectly, never froze, until the update I installed on Feb 10. Now it always freezes (I am writing from Puppy Linux booted from CD).

I have two ports for the monitor plug, one from the video card and one directly from the mother board. I will now try removing the video card and plugging directly on mother to see what happens.

emariz

#6 Post by emariz »

If the kernel was updated you can boot the previous ones by pressing ESC when loading GRUB. Use an older kernel till you know what causes the constant freezes.
Search for related problems in the Debian Bug list. As your machine is not new, there's a high chance that other users have the same issues.

Fede.Campana

#7 Post by Fede.Campana »

Thanks for the ESC-tip and the Debian Bug list.

What I did right is simply remove the video card. Now Debian -with the new update- runs perfectly. I don't seem to need the video card for the moment, since Blender 3D (the most graphic-demanding program I use) works perfectly and shows very smooth movements. Also, my only son is 3 so by the time he starts playing flashy games we will probably have a new computer. :o)

Fede

jheaton5

#8 Post by jheaton5 »

Tell us what your video card is. Perhaps someone here has experience with that card.

bugsbunny

#9 Post by bugsbunny »

jheaton5 wrote:Tell us what your video card is. Perhaps someone here has experience with that card.
He answered that a few posts up;
It is a "Radeon 9500 120M DDR VO DVI-I"