Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Graphics, Internet problems

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
twiggymoo

Graphics, Internet problems

#1 Post by twiggymoo »

Problems - problems! I guess I'll begin with the graphics - gigantic KDE/Gnome desktop - can't fit the screen - one icon takes up a good portion of viewing area (resolution?). I can't supply the XFConfig data because I'm not at my Debian box right now. I have an SIS6326 graphics card (PCI, 8MB) and just can't get it configured right - I installed Kernel 2.6 hoping this would resolve it.

I still can't access the net either! I've done the pppconfig thing too many times. I have an external modem hooked up that works with winslows.

I must admit, I am having fun with it and anticipate dumping winslows hopefully soon!:)

Twig

dawgie

Re: Graphics, Internet problems

#2 Post by dawgie »

twiggymoo wrote:Problems - problems! I guess I'll begin with the graphics - gigantic KDE/Gnome desktop - can't fit the screen - one icon takes up a good portion of viewing area (resolution?).
In your X config file look for the "Subsection Display" there should be 1,4,8,16,24 (or 16)
It sounds like you are only displaying 640X480.

SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

You could also test the generic "vesa" driver for your graphics card to see if that helps.
Chenge something like this:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
        Driver          "ati"
EndSection

to this:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
        Driver         "vesa" ## "ati"
EndSection

Before you edit the file, make a backup.
# cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-back

Then if you mess everything up and you want your old file back again, just reverse it:
# cp XF86Config-back XF86Config-4

You need to restart your xserver for any changes to take effect.
ctrl+alt+bkspace

twiggymoo wrote: I still can't access the net either! I've done the pppconfig thing too many times. I have an external modem hooked up that works with winslows.
Have you tried testing the connection as root:

# pon
and
# poff

twiggymoo

Internet...

#3 Post by twiggymoo »

Have you tried testing the connection as root:

# pon
and
# poff
dawgie,
I fixed the graphics problem - thanks - I also did the # pon, # poff thing in root and nothing happened.

So, when I want to get into the internet, what do I do? I have dialup with Netzero. What is the command to access the net? I also downloaded Netzero's lindows file (Netzero.deb) and installed it. Sometimes I see the Netzero icon when I boot into Debian and sometimes it's not there. Where did it go?