Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

unable to enumerate usb devices

Need help with peripherals or devices?
shallpion

unable to enumerate usb devices

#1 Post by shallpion »

Hi, I just found that my portable hard-disk is not able to be mounted during the system booting.
[ 4263.491099] usb 8-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 41
[ 4263.547402] hub 8-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
The above message is in the dmesg constantly. I tried lsusb -v and cannot find my hard-disk. I also tried another kernel, but failed:(
This portable hard-disk is working fine now under windows XP so no hardware damage exists. I am on
Linux debian 2.6.26-1-amd64
So, what am I supposed to do, please? thank you.

hkoster1

Re: unable to enumerate usb devices

#2 Post by hkoster1 »

shallpion wrote:Hi, I just found that my portable hard-disk is not able to be mounted during the system booting.
It seems to be a timing problem during the boot process, you'll probably find that the HD works fine after booting has completed. It is a known problem, for example I have a similar problem with a newer USB mouse for which the manufacturer/product code is not yet known to the USB kernel drivers. If you don't like the error messages (or warning messages, really), then you could add the "nousb" kernel boot option: open /boot/grub/menu.lst in an editor (as root), scroll down to the line

Code: Select all

# defoptions=quiet
and change it to

# defoptions=quiet nousb
Next, still as root, run the command

# update-grub
but even that will not necessarily suppress those warning messages at the very start of the boot process. Grin and bear it, my advice. :?
Real Debian users don't do chat...

robinedgar

#3 Post by robinedgar »

I found that running

update-usbids

stopped the warnings from going nuts

enid

#4 Post by enid »

Hello,
I tried your solution but it didn't work for me.
Then I found this http://www.absolutelytech.com/2010/04/1 ... -ehci_hcd/ and it did solve this problem for me.

Regards

spsalsm

#5 Post by spsalsm »

robinedgar wrote:I found that running

update-usbids

stopped the warnings from going nuts
YES! Running Ubuntu 11.04, so far this exact command has worked for me. Whew, thanks so much. I don't even have any USB devices plugged in, and this message is spamming my kernel log! It's been a pain for a long time, and has interfered with so many distro installations. Finally, after running the "update-usbids" command, I don't see the message anymore. I wonder what it would take to just disable the specific port that it's griping about? I also wonder if I need to run this command every time I log on....

Thanks again.

maddy8600

#6 Post by maddy8600 »

Bro It May be silly to listen but what is do is opened my laptop clean it using smooth brush also all my port and when i start problem was solved i dont know how but it happened :o :o :o