Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Amazing applications that others may not be aware of

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Penguin Skinner

#201 Post by Penguin Skinner »

mirage - a nice, lightweight image viewer with some neat features; especially nice if you're not running one of the big, bloaty, integrated desktop environments ... and still pretty cool even if you are. :)

http://mirageiv.berlios.de/

julian67

#202 Post by julian67 »

Here's a DVD ripping tool that is both easy to use and not dependent on X. undvd
undvd is dvd ripping made *simple* with an easy interface to mencoder with sensible default settings that give good results. For those times you just want to rip a movie and not consider thousands of variables.
Installing it (from source or deb) also brings scandvd which is used before the rip, encvid and vidstat. encvid transcodes video files while vidstat offers information on video files.

To make a rip, first run scandvd. It offers some details about the DVD and suggests which options to use to rip and encode. You just choose the track number, language and subtitle language and go. As it works it shows you a few things like percentage completed, time remaining and so on:

It really is that simple and it works, you get a nice quality movie with h264 video, mp3 vbr audio in an avi container. Those are the defaults and can easily be changed. For example you can also choose 2 passes, different containers, target size and so on but if you just want something simple which works and which doesn't require you to remember/know anything (it's presented to you) the defaults are fine.

Another nice feature is that because it can dd/clone the DVD to the HDD and so work from .iso images it's very suitable for batching, scripting and for using remotely with screen, telnet, ssh etc.

encvid is even simpler:

Code: Select all

encvid somemovie.mp4 --vcodec xvid --cont avi --acodec copy
will convert the mp4 file to xvid in an avi container but leave the audio untouched.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

hazard

#203 Post by hazard »

I like this topic :P

This is my application, I hope its not posted yet because I havent read all the pages in here.

Jucy; A powerful dc++ client, really better than linuxdcpp that takes a lot of ram and doesnt suport right click commands in lua, it is made all in java so you need to have java 6 jre(suports multidownload too). This is the official site
Cheers!
Everything is relative!

matino

#204 Post by matino »

Slimrat: http://code.google.com/p/slimrat/
Very simple but yet very nice Rapidshare download manager for Linux :)
Last edited by matino on 2009-02-21 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Sid/Experimental with KDE 4.2

julian67

#205 Post by julian67 »

@hazard and matino It's better to use url tags for urls than quote or code tags:

http://code.google.com/p/slimrat/

http://www.jucy.eu/index.php/downloads.html

or

slimrat

jucy

which loooks like this before you submit:

Code: Select all

[url]http://code.google.com/p/slimrat/[/url]

[url]www.jucy.eu/index.php/downloads.html[/url]

or 

[url=http://code.google.com/p/slimrat/]slimrat[/url]

[url=www.jucy.eu/index.php/downloads.html]jucy[/url]

hazard

#206 Post by hazard »

Here another good soft I just descovered.

Chkrootkit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chkrootkit is a tool to locally check for signs of a rootkit. It
contains:
* chkrootkit: a shell script that checks system binaries for rootkit modification.
* ifpromisc.c: checks if the network interface is in promiscuous mode.
* chklastlog.c: checks for lastlog deletions.
* chkwtmp.c: checks for wtmp deletions.
* check_wtmpx.c: checks for wtmpx deletions. (Solaris only)
* chkproc.c: checks for signs of LKM trojans.
* chkdirs.c: checks for signs of LKM trojans.
* strings.c: quick and dirty strings replacement.
* chkutmp.c: checks for utmp deletions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian Package Here
Home site Here

Anyway I am searching a good firewall for my lenny 5, if anybody can sugest a good one it would be wonderful!
Everything is relative!

pcalvert

#207 Post by pcalvert »

hazard wrote: Anyway I am searching a good firewall for my lenny 5, if anybody can sugest a good one it would be wonderful!
FireHOL is an easy one that is quite powerful.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Rolling Stone

#208 Post by Rolling Stone »

Harold wrote:gqview
GQview is an excellent image browser / viewer!

http://gqview.sourceforge.net/ (also available in the repos)

Unfortunately it's not being actively developed at the moment but I look forward to http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/

lego

#209 Post by lego »

Some of my favourite utilities are:

ratpoison! The best and fastest X window manager that I have tried until now. Awesome!
screen, a terminal emulator that has been already described in this post.
iceweasel-vimperator, a useful plugin for iceweasel.
vim-latexsuite, to write LaTeX documents from vim.
ipe, to easily create graphics ready to include in LaTeX documents.
gnuplot, a very powerful plotting program.
wcalc, a very complete and powerful calculator.
zgv, image viewer from a terminal.

julian67

#210 Post by julian67 »

Here's something I stumbled across by chance: dwww
dwww is a web interface to all on-line documentation on a
Debian system. It builds some web pages that list all installed
documents, and converts all documents to HTML. The conversion
is done when the user requests the document.

dwww requires running a web server with CGI support (i.e. apache,
boa, roxen, wn, etc., but NOT dhttpd or fnord.)
If you don't already have a web server running then install dwww using apt-get and eveything is taken care of (apache is installed and configured).

It's very nice to have a package's documentation accessible via an easily navigable web page, much quicker than bashing through man pages, info pages, /usr/share/doc and so on. The best thing for me is that it makes all the docs easily searchable from with the browser and an Epiphany smart bookmark makes it incredibly efficient i.e. I type thunar in the address bar, choose Search Debian Local Docs (the label I chose for the smart bookmark) and I get this:

If you use Synaptic it integrates dwww into the Package menu like this:

A little searching suggests that dwww is used by Konqueror for displaying docs but I'm sure I can't be the only person using a gtk system who didn't even realise this facility was available.

BioTube

#211 Post by BioTube »

I don't have dwww, but Konqueror can handle man pages with the man kioslave. Konqueror's highly extensible, so it's possible that there's a dwww kioslave out there.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

hazard

#212 Post by hazard »

FireHOL is an easy one that is quite powerful.

I installaed it and it works fine. Thanks pcalvert !
Everything is relative!

Quantum

#213 Post by Quantum »

I've been keeping a wonderful little app resuscitated for years, called kdevmon.

It's a network monitor that sits in the KDE tray, showing network in and out in the same applet, with quality shading of the graph. Always know what's going on with the network. I always set In to green and Out red, as sending out info is more dangerous. My constant traffic here is due to NX (below), and the spike is a webpage reload.

For working with remote machines, Nomachine's NX. Far faster and more advanced than VNC, it has built-in SSH security, and is FREE. It's as if you're working on a local machine. I run it on Desktop 3.

For virtualization software, definitely VirtualBox. I'd used VMware for years, but this beats the pants off of it, and is FREE. About once a month I need to boot XP, and it comes up over Debian looking like just another machine on the network. With Folder Sharing make the whole root directory available to it. Works very well. I run it in Desktop 4.

And needless to say, MythTV. I record all my favorite HD TV shows OTA ATSC from a Hauppauge HPV-1250, and from Dish Network using an R5000-HD, in each case capturing the pure transport stream with no transcoding and its loss of quality. Pure digital straight from the provider, and completely (automatically) free of commercials, just as God intended. I run it in Desktop 2, and have the hotkey <Alt>D set to switch between desktops, so that even when I'm in fullscreen mode I can jump over and check the web for something; only thing I haven't fixed is that it then puts the taskbar over my TV show in Myth.

I run the Myth client on my remote laptop using the backend (server) on my HTPC. So the client reaches through the network to the HTPC and gets TV shows, does scheduling, etc remotely. But I don't do this non-securely, no sir. I first set up a reverse SSH tunnel. The remote machine contacts the HTPC and requests that an encrypted tunnel be set up from the HTPC to the remote machine, and that a service be served through that tunnel. So MySQL on the HTPC is served through that tunnel to the remote machine, and appears there at 127.0.0.1:3306. It looks to the remote machine like the MySQL service is right there local to it, but when an access is done it actually reaches into its own belly-button, through the encrypted tunnel, to the actual place where the MySQL service is running, on the HTPC. Highly secure, with military-grade encryption. I am serving my two Myth ports and MySQL port this way, so I have full MythTV, remotely and secure, and you can remotely serve any service this way. To set up reverse SSH tunnels, do a search on that and 'sleeper'.

Also, check out my thread on Monitoring System Health with Conky on Second Display.

And this isn't exactly an app, but in my laptop I have for Wifi an Intel 4965AGN card. I use this to connect to my DLink DIR-825 in 802.11n mode at 5GHz. Most ppl use wifi at 2.4GHz because it's the default and 802.11a has been poorly implemented in the past. But this particular router does well in 'a' and 'n' at 5GHz, which means I get faster speeds, my TV shows aren't interrupted when I'm microwaving dinner, and I am not polluting all my neighbors' wifi with my copious multimedia traffic. Kernels 2.6.27 and later have the iwlwifi drivers which do the trick for 'a', or you can go here for the latest drivers with 5GHz 'n' mode, not expected in the kernel until 2.6.30.

As I am old-school Debian, I use Shorewall for firewall. Rock solid, and I can make it do whatever I want.

To mount the disk file systems on remote machines I use sshfs, which is a plugin for the FUSE project. Put away Samba and NFS, they're old and busted. FUSE is a new paradigm in accessing remote resources; you can mount anything from NTFS to Torrent resources to music libraries, remotely and transparently. I mount a full disk on a remote machine simply by 'mount /media/hex'. (of course I am using SSH public key authentication, a whole 'nother bag of potatoes) My fstab entry looks like this:
sshfs#bill@hex:/ /media/hex fuse noauto,owner,uid=1000,umask=007,cache=no,ServerAliveInterval=15,reconnect,comment=sshfs 0 0

For web surfing I always use Konqueror through the Squid proxy for web object caching, anonymizing headers, and masquerading as a Google spider. Everywhere I go I look like a googlebot. Thanks Squid!

kce

#214 Post by kce »

cgmail - A python program that checks your gmail account for new email and then informs you via the notification area of gnome-panel (or presumably xfce's panel as well)

galculator - A full featured scientific/engineering calculator with support for RPN and binary/hexadecimal. Very handy for CS homework.

bc - GNU's command line calculator. Artificial precession and support for multi-character variable names. Quite handy for a quick calculation, particularly when programing.

gdb - Everyone already knows this one but it's insanely useful if you take the time to learn a lot the features. My favorite include the ability to print the value of any C expression(i.e, using it as a calculator), the value of any of variables and of course the lovely backtrace.

eclipse - Previously mentioned but its worth being seconded. If I leave the comfort of vim it's only for eclipse (and java!).

deskbar - A single entry point for your gnome's menu-system and file manager. Incredibly powerful when paired with a search tool like beagle. Instead of going Menu->Places->Home->"navigate to directory"->"open document", you just search for it with deskbar.

gnome2-globalmenu - For those of us that like a global menu here's the current effort. Still beta but decent. I believe there's work on an xfce version as well. Quite handy when paired with deskbar.

audacious - Remember when music players just played music? A classic.
More paranoid than AMLJ!

Raffles10

#215 Post by Raffles10 »

Guake, a drop down terminal for GTK like Yakuake, invaluable.

http://guake-terminal.org/

julian67

#216 Post by julian67 »

Raffles10 wrote:Guake, a drop down terminal for GTK like Yakuake, invaluable.

http://guake-terminal.org/
Very similar is tilda, which doesn't rely on Gnome so is ideal for non-Gnome GTK desktops. I believe the feature set is similar (transparency, size, location, hidden, border, font, key combo, animated hiding, stickying on/off etc etc). I use 3 instances of it in Xfce to support one drop down terminal, moc full screen on a keypress and mc fullscreen on a keypress. Here's my terminal dropped down:

http://tilda.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Tilda is a Linux terminal taking after the likeness of many classic terminals from first person shooter games, Quake, Doom and Half-Life (to name a few), where the terminal has no border and is hidden from the desktop until a key is pressed.
It's in Debian main.

Raffles10

#217 Post by Raffles10 »

I tried Tilda whilst using Xubuntu and I found it to be buggy, not always appearing on its keypress and sometimes not hiding again. Since switching to Debian Lenny + Xfce I've found certain applications run better than on Xubuntu, like Thunar which was always crashing but hasn't crashed once with Lenny, so I'll give Tilda another try. :wink:

Edit: can't spell :roll:

julian67

#218 Post by julian67 »

Raffles10 wrote:I tried Tilda whilst using Xubuntu and I found it to be buggy, not always appearing on its keypress and sometimes not hiding again. Since switching to Debian Lenny + Xfce I've found certain applications run better than on Xubuntu, like Thunar which was always crashing but hasn't crashed once with Lenny, so I'll give Tilda another try. :wink:

Edit: can't spell :roll:
Never had a problem with it not appearing or hiding on cue. If you kill X it can leave a lock file behind but you just delete .tilda/locks/<a_lockfile> . If you log out from the session via your display manager and not <Ctrl><Alt><backspace> it should be fine.

anxious

#219 Post by anxious »

Bleachbit. To help keep your system clean.

Hardinfo - system information dialog that kind of replaces trying to understand lsusb/lspci.
For an idea that does not at first seem insane, there is no hope - Albert Einstein

julian67

#220 Post by julian67 »

anxious wrote:Bleachbit. To help keep your system clean.
Bleachbit might be useful but treat it with some caution.

http://lwn.net/Articles/313679/

It seems to be aimed at novice users (because any non-novice can do all this very easily anyway) but a novice user is quite likely to unknowingly erase an awful lot of useful/valuable data using this tool.