Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnomenu

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
arun.a

Gnomenu

#1 Post by arun.a »

Hai,
I recently came to know about Gnomenu. I think it is a good work and i tried to install on my Lenny(amd64).Installation failed because the repo do not contain python-gconf.
I wonder to know that Ubuntu's repo contain this package but Debian do not.How can i install Gnomenu ? Is it possible without python-gconf ? what is about using the package from ubuntu?
aru

BioTube

#2 Post by BioTube »

Ubuntu and Debian are not binary compatible; any instances of this are mere happy coincidence. That being said, Ubuntu creates the occasional package that doesn't always get into Debian. What's this "gnomenu" package do, anyway?
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

arun.a

#3 Post by arun.a »

Gnomenu is a menu for gnome looking similar to vista.What is about python-gconf?
aru

cortiver

#4 Post by cortiver »

It looks like the python-gconf library is provided as part of the python-gnome2 package in Debian. Installing this should allow you to run the program, but if you're trying to install the binary package for gnomenu it still won't install because you're missing the dependency. You can try installing it with

Code: Select all

dpkg --ignore-depends=python-gconf <package_file>.deb
I've never tried this myself so I don't know if it will cause problems.
(Note that, even though Ubuntu packages are certainly not binary-compatible with Debian, this is just a Python script and so is more likely to work)

bugsbunny

#5 Post by bugsbunny »

If python-gconf is, indeed, part of python-gnome2 then you can resolve the dependency problem by using equivs
Circumvent Debian package dependencies

This package provides a tool to create Debian packages that only contain dependency information.
name the package python-gconf and have it depend on python-gnome2.

After installing equivs see man pages for equivs-build and equivs-control Also APT HOWTO - Very useful helpers