Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Daylight savings time

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
BioTube

Daylight savings time

#1 Post by BioTube »

Are there any plans to support this?
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

mike102282

#2 Post by mike102282 »

Support what?
Debian Linux Geek

BioTube

#3 Post by BioTube »

Automatic switching to DST.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

bugsbunny

#4 Post by bugsbunny »

$date
Sun Mar 8 15:40:23 EDT 2009

Already there for me

mike102282

#5 Post by mike102282 »

BioTube wrote:Automatic switching to DST.
All ready there :D
Debian Linux Geek

bugsbunny

#6 Post by bugsbunny »

Unless you meant within the forum. Pretty much all forums I've seen have had this problem.

Telemachus

Re: Daylight savings time

#7 Post by Telemachus »

BioTube wrote:Are there any plans to support this?
What's your timezone setting? As folks have said, I get this automatically simply by saying that I want America/New_York as my timezone.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

didi

#8 Post by didi »

And there's the issue that the US and Europe don't switch to DST at the same time ...

BioTube

#9 Post by BioTube »

I was talking about within the forum software, hence the placement in "Forum stuff & feedback".

mike102282

#10 Post by mike102282 »

BioTube wrote:I was talking about within the forum software, hence the placement in "Forum stuff & feedback".
That time is also right for me :D
Debian Linux Geek

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#11 Post by Lavene »

BioTube wrote:I was talking about within the forum software, hence the placement in "Forum stuff & feedback".
AFAIK we do handle DST automatically but as pointed out above our server is in Europe. So I would assume that it doesn't switch until 29th of March.

Edit: And as the caffeine started working I see that the question is about the software. To answer that: I don't know... I kinda thought it did as long as you selected the correct timezone in your profile. Then again, I didn't even know you guys were out of sync with the rest of the world...

ghostdawg

#12 Post by ghostdawg »

Seems like I remember having to reset time in my profile...
Lavene wrote:Then again, I didn't even know you guys were out of sync with the rest of the world...
We are Borg, Resistance is Futile...

Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Pick2

#13 Post by Pick2 »

The way it works here in the good old US of A , a government BY the people and FOR the people is this:
The clock manufacturers wanted more money , so they greased the palms of a few politicians who passed a law changing when DST changed , thereby BORKing most of our clocks , and after we throw them away in aggravation , We the People went out and bought new ones ! :)
And , rest assured , that just as soon as the sale of clocks falls off again , they'll probably change it Back ! :lol:
GOD DAMN , I'm proud to be a broke American ! :shock:

mike102282

#14 Post by mike102282 »

Pick2 wrote:The way it works here in the good old US of A , a government BY the people and FOR the people is this:
The clock manufacturers wanted more money , so they greased the palms of a few politicians who passed a law changing when DST changed , thereby BORKing most of our clocks , and after we throw them away in aggravation , We the People went out and bought new ones ! :)
And , rest assured , that just as soon as the sale of clocks falls off again , they'll probably change it Back ! :lol:
GOD DAMN , I'm proud to be a broke American ! :shock:
If you bought a new clock because you dont know how to change it you deserve to be broke.
Debian Linux Geek

BioTube

#15 Post by BioTube »

I have no idea why it starts earlier now, but I do remember that an argument for extending it on the other end involved Halloween.

Pick2

#16 Post by Pick2 »

mike102282 wrote:If you bought a new clock because you dont know how to change it you deserve to be broke.
I have two alarm clocks that the manufacturers were thoughtful enough to include automatic DST ! there is no way to turn it off and no way to change the date that it kicks in and out. so now I have to add an hour and a few weeks later subtract an hour , and do the exact opposite in the fall !

( You really know how to ruin a good Rant , don't you :) )

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#17 Post by Lavene »

So, if I have got this right; the US has suddenly decided to move the date for DST. This of course breaks everything. Do we plan to fix it for you? (Ok... that was a cheap shot ;) )

Seriously though... I honestly don't know. If the maintainer of phpbb fixes the packages and if we upgrade I guess it will be fixed. Also if we decide to move to phpbb3 I'd expect it to be fixed. In any case I doubt much will be done about it before we move to DST anyway so you'll probably have to live with it for a couple of weeks until we catch up.

bugsbunny

#18 Post by bugsbunny »

DST is a local thing everywhere. Someplaces use it, someplaces don't. It's not simple. I doubt that phpbb3 would fix it. The correct way to do it would be to display time based on the settings of the computer the user is sitting at.

Right now there aren't any timezones, as such, in the profiles. There's just a +/- from UTC. Which is about all it can do. To handle it correctly it would need to know the persons desired location (as in city/country at a minimum) and then apply the correct DST rules for that locality (if any). Most of the world doesn't use DST.

Wiki has a good article.
Daylight saving time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BioTube

#19 Post by BioTube »

Really all that's needed is the option to select a real time zone. As long as the zones were kept current, then everybody could move into and out of DST at will without anybody else being fscked with.

coolsen

Re: Daylight savings time

#20 Post by coolsen »

If DST do not work, it maybe because you have not installed ntpdate packed.

In supperuser mode do this:
#apt-get install ntpdate (and [ENTER])

That solved my problem