Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"No disk drive was detected." in virtualbox

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
SOCwithoutHeart

"No disk drive was detected." in virtualbox

#1 Post by SOCwithoutHeart »

I want to install debian testing in Virtualbox.

During my installation, it shows "No disk drive was detected." and ask me to select a drive for the hard disk. I checked the setup of hard disk in virtualbox, the hard disk is created as an IDE hard disk. When I selected the IDE driver, it didn't work. So I cannot continue the installation.

The version of my virtualbox is 2.1.4. The version of debian installer is built on Fri Mar 6 21:13:28 UTC 2009. I've tried the business card and net-inst.

My real computer is Toshiba M800, but I don't know the detail of the hard disk.

Thanks for your help.

bugsbunny

#2 Post by bugsbunny »

In your virtual machine definition, under hard disk, it has "IDE Primary Master" in the left hand column - correct? What does it say in the right hand column?

SOCwithoutHeart

#3 Post by SOCwithoutHeart »

Yes, it is "IDE Primary Master". In the right hand side column is "Debby.vdi (Normal, 4.00 GB)" Debby is the name of the file. I am not sure what the exact word of "Normal" is, because the language of my virtualbox is not English. In my language, it means "normal, there is no problem". And I don't see any error messages, but it still can not find any driver of disk device.

Thanks for your reply.

thevoice

#4 Post by thevoice »

*bump*

I'm having the exact same problem, I've tried both dynamically expanding and static sized virtual drives, with no success.

I've tried selecting the generic IDE driver in the installer to no avail.

Windows works fine under the same install of virtualbox.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

fk

#5 Post by fk »

any ideas?
Yes :D virtualbox allow change IDE to SCSI ? May be try this one virtual hardware?
Also try ask about this one at http://forums.virtualbox.org section VirtualBox on Linux Hosts
Last edited by fk on 2009-03-10 09:53, edited 2 times in total.

kabniel

#6 Post by kabniel »

I just tried the latest daily testing netinst (Mar 10 09:23:19 UTC 2009) on my machine and its the same here, no drive is found.. i also tried with an old iso from back when Lenny was testing (downloaded in dec 2008) and that one works fine with Vbox 2.1.4
Last edited by kabniel on 2009-03-10 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

bugsbunny

#7 Post by bugsbunny »

I'm assuming that you're both using a recent daily image to attempt to install testing. In that case there may well be a problem with the current versions of the installer - which you should report as a bug.

In the meantime I suggest a minimal install (just leave out the desktop environment) of lenny using the stable installer, followed by an upgrade to squeeze, after which you can install the desktop of your choice.

SOCwithoutHeart

#8 Post by SOCwithoutHeart »

Finally, I used the testing CD1 to install debian,
and I installed it. Now it worked fine.

Should I report it as a bug?

cb474

#9 Post by cb474 »

I just tried the most current testing netinst iso and had the same problem.

bugsbunny

#10 Post by bugsbunny »

To anybody that's using a "most current testing netinst" if you get this problem then please make sure that you either file a new bug report, or add comments to an existing one (which I suspect is more likely to be the case).

Just make sure that it is actually the latest version that you're trying.

If you don't file bugs it makes it very difficult for things to get fixed :)

cb474

#11 Post by cb474 »

I can't even figure out what package I would file the bug report against.

I have to say, I find the Debian bug reporting system totally confusing and cumbersome. I often give up halfway through trying to file a bug report. There's not even a generic way to search for bugs, as far as I can tell, in this case on the term "netinst." One seems to half to know in advance what package is causing the problem, which I do not always know. And the command line bug reporting system doesn't work for me because at the end of the process it's unable to actually send the bug report I generate, so I have to copy the text into a separate email, format that properly, and send it that way. I wish there were just a web form to fill out.

plugwash

#12 Post by plugwash »

If you have an installation problem and are unsure of the source your best bet is to file an installation report ( http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en. ... submit-bug ) the installer team (unlike some other teams) seem quite happy to deal with working out whether something is a duplicate and which part of the installer it belongs to.

bugsbunny

#13 Post by bugsbunny »

cb474 wrote:I can't even figure out what package I would file the bug report against.

I have to say, I find the Debian bug reporting system totally confusing and cumbersome. I often give up halfway through trying to file a bug report. There's not even a generic way to search for bugs, as far as I can tell, in this case on the term "netinst." One seems to half to know in advance what package is causing the problem, which I do not always know. And the command line bug reporting system doesn't work for me because at the end of the process it's unable to actually send the bug report I generate, so I have to copy the text into a separate email, format that properly, and send it that way. I wish there were just a web form to fill out.
Sounds like you just need to tweak the config file to use an smtp host. Just edit ~/.reportbugrc
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=212000#212000

If you're not sure of the correct package come as close as you can. The developer will forward it to the correct place if you get it wrong (or at least he should).

For installer do as mentioned above and file installation report. This works:

Code: Select all

reportbug installation-reports
(Once you get the config working)

cb474

#14 Post by cb474 »

I added an smtphost to .reportbugrc but still had a problem with it. At the first step, "Querying Debian BTS for reports on installation-reports," it just got stuck. [Update, after waiting for ten minutes it finally worked and got past this point.]

So I filed a bug report via email as outlined here:

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en. ... submit-bug

This all is more evidence to me that the Debian bug reporting process is too complicated and cumbersome and likely to just lead to people not reporting bugs. It is much simpler with Ubuntu or Gnome or Firefox. Debian is the only project I feel this way about. Maybe the system is fine for developers and programmers, but for a semi-linux-literate enthusiast like myself it's not worth the trouble (and I'm a pretty persistent person who doesn't give up easily, so I have no doubt lots of other people aren't filing bug reports for the same reason).

cb474

#15 Post by cb474 »

My bug report on this was closed. It's considered a known issue, as of March 7:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Today