Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

lenny finds to low a resolution

Need help with peripherals or devices?
dreuzel

lenny finds to low a resolution

#1 Post by dreuzel »

I'm strugling to setup an s3 Virge MX video, where I seem to be stuck on 800x600 resolution. in Win98 and Debian Etch I was able to work in resolution 1024x700 wich is more adequate.

Is it possible to increase the max resolution abowe what lenny finds ?
It certainly was possible changing Xorg.conf in etch, but now lenny ignores the changes made.

Thank you

edbarx

#2 Post by edbarx »

I suggest you to boot as Single User [Root] and run this command:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Then, reboot:

reboot
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

karthikrg

#3 Post by karthikrg »

Else you can try forcing a resolution and refresh rate in the Monitor section of your xorg.conf (add it if it doesnt exist already) to override the default settings

BioTube

#4 Post by BioTube »

edbarx wrote:I suggest you to boot as Single User [Root] and run this command:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Then, reboot:

reboot
There's no need to reboot from single-user mode(or any other) for a change to X. Just

init 2
from single-user or CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE from X itself.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

edbarx

#5 Post by edbarx »

BioTube wrote:There's no need to reboot from single-user mode(or any other) for a change to X. Just

init 2
from single-user or CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE from X itself.
I reboot for security reasons because in Single User mode I am ROOT and I do not want to run X as root.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

BioTube

#6 Post by BioTube »

Changing runlevels logs you off.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

dreuzel

#7 Post by dreuzel »

did the reconfig , nothing changed considering resolution
no resolution reference in the monitoring section
how does that formulate ? keyword +space + qouted resolution ?

The user interface lenny does not allow a higher setting then 800x600
previous debian and win98 went up to 1024x700

dreuzel

lenny finds to low a resolution ? no solution? no bypass ?

#8 Post by dreuzel »

In etch there was a bypass for the os finding to tow a resolution
is there something like that in the chainged lenny ?

Lou

#9 Post by Lou »

Ok, IMHO, the Debian devs fucked up again.

They assume if your hardware is OK there is no need to manually configure. So if you have a buggy video driver or if the default resolution is not what you need, something is wrong with you.

I have a buggy video driver (SiS) and my resolution is too high, can i change it manually? NO!

Can i changed it with 'dpkg-reconfigure -phign -xserver-xorg' as in the past? Of course, NO!

The powers that be will not allow it, they know everything that matters with my box, so i'm outta luck. They should have the package 'xorgconfig' for us dummies with old cheap hardware.

I googled for an Etch xorg.conf example, being Etch the last version that allows to configure manually or with dpkg-reconfigure xorg-dev.

I pasted the parts about my video driver, which i changed to 'vesa' and the resolution to 1024x768, the frequencies of my monitor and the color depth to 16 instead of 24, i also wanted my screen to go blank in 3 minutes; then i saved/exit/logged out/logged in and everything was OK.

FWIW, here's my /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Sid:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "es"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "SiS"
Driver "vesa"
BusID ""
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 31-70
VertRefresh 50-160
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "SiS"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
Option "StandbyTime" "3" # Turn off screen in 3 minutes (DPMS)
Option "OffTime" "15" # Turn off DPMS monitor (DPMS)
EndSection
Last edited by Lou on 2009-03-25 14:22, edited 3 times in total.

Issyer

Re: lenny finds to low a resolution

#10 Post by Issyer »

dreuzel wrote:Is it possible to increase the max resolution abowe what lenny finds ?
No. Unless you install a better driver like nvidia, etc.

debianuser01

#11 Post by debianuser01 »

Lou wrote:Ok, IMHO, the Debian devs fucked up again.
[...]
I have a buggy video driver (SiS) and my resolution is too high, can i changed it manually? NO!

Can i change it with 'dpkg-reconfigure -phign -xserver-xorg' as in the past? Of course, NO!

The powers that be will not allow it, they know everything that matters with my box, so i'm outta luck. They should have the package 'xorgconfig' for us the dummies with old cheap hardware.

I googled for an Etch xorg.config example, being Etch the last version that allows to configure manually or with dpkg-reconfigure xorg-dev.
[...]
Lou for President. :twisted: I've had the same irritating, frustrating prob! And A LOT of people have this prob. I copied my Suse config file to Debian and voila: prob's gone. The question remains however, is it Xorg that does not include ye' ol config tools anymore, or is it Debian?

All I know is that, on the Dutch forum, the first time Linux users are driving me crazy the last couple of months. Almost all of them use Ubuntu (= Debian based), due to 'Buntu's marketing madness. However, none of them seem to be able to configure their videocard/monitor the Windows or Suse/Yast way. None of the old solutions that I always use, which you mention in your post, work anymore for them. Is it Debian that stepped away from the configure tools, or Xorg itself? A lot of these usefull tools are still mentioned on the Xorg help site here.

Whats the matter?

fsmithred

#12 Post by fsmithred »

Issyer wrote:
dreuzel wrote:Is it possible to increase the max resolution abowe what lenny finds ?
Yes there is. I was able to do it on a machine that uses a Radeon 9200SE. Lenny autoconfigured and gave me 1024x768, then I edited xorg.conf to add ati driver (which I think it was already using), HorzSync and VertRefresh and some modes that included 1280x1024.

Issyer

#13 Post by Issyer »

fsmithred wrote:
Issyer wrote:
Yes there is. I was able to do it on a machine that uses a Radeon 9200SE. Lenny autoconfigured and gave me 1024x768, then I edited xorg.conf to add ati driver (which I think it was already using), HorzSync and VertRefresh and some modes that included 1280x1024.
I meant bigger than the one xrandr shows for the particular driver.

debianuser01

#14 Post by debianuser01 »

Is it Debian that stepped away from the configure tools, or Xorg itself?

Eck

#15 Post by Eck »

It's xorg. Most is automatically detected now. When resolution doesn't satisfy, we're supposed to use xrandr (or the grandr GUI tool for easier configuration) to adjust it.

Mine wasn't right at initial Lenny RC2 install. I installed grandr and used that. Once used, the KDE and Gnome display properties then listed what I had set with grandr as my default resolution, with all the others available as well.

So I think grandr (or xrandr from the terminal) is a permanent way, and something like the Krandrtray can be used for a temporary (this session) change on the fly.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

debianuser01

#16 Post by debianuser01 »

Eck wrote:It's xorg. Most is automatically detected now. When resolution doesn't satisfy, we're supposed to use xrandr (or the grandr GUI tool for easier configuration) to adjust it.

Mine wasn't right at initial Lenny RC2 install. I installed grandr and used that. Once used, the KDE and Gnome display properties then listed what I had set with grandr as my default resolution, with all the others available as well.

So I think grandr (or xrandr from the terminal) is a permanent way, and something like the Krandrtray can be used for a temporary (this session) change on the fly.
Thank you very much for the clarification. :) Are you sure that g/xrandr shows more resolution modes that one may have set (by hand) in xorg.conf? Anyway, I'm gonna test w/ a new xorg.config (after backing up my working one).

[Edit] Deleted my xorg.conf, rebooted, ran nvidia-xconfig, rebooted, ran xrandr. But no resolution above 800x600. Copied the back-up back. Resolution 1280x960 again.

I still thnk Xorg/Linux needs an X configuration utility really, really, really bad!

Issyer

#17 Post by Issyer »

debianuser01 wrote: I still thnk Xorg/Linux needs an X configuration utility really, really, really bad!
No it doesn't. Do

man xorg.conf

Lou

#18 Post by Lou »

I read it, couldn't find an answer, perhaps you did?

Issyer

#19 Post by Issyer »

If the question was referred to me, I don't do anything. My xorg.conf magically appears by itself with the right configuration in the right directory.

Lou

#20 Post by Lou »

Issyer wrote:If the question was referred to me, I don't do anything. My xorg.conf magically appears by itself with the right configuration in the right directory.
But you said to "man xorg.conf" as if that was the answer when debianuser01 expressed the need for Debian to have an "X configuration utility", he already tried xrandr and grandr and those two failed miserably. Am I misreading your answer?

So, if you don't have the need to reconfigure your xorg.conf because Debian does it automatically with the kind of hardware you got, what's the point of recommending to 'man xorg.conf' as an answer to solve the problem when the answer is not there?

Debian does need an X configuration utility as they had before with 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg', IMHO.