Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VLC 0.9.8 in Lenny -- without mixing system!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Soul Singin'

VLC 0.9.8 in Lenny -- without mixing system!

#1 Post by Soul Singin' »

After reading this thread, I decided to try -- once again -- to install the latest version of VLC on my (mostly) pure Lenny system.

The build is currently progressing nicely, but it's taking a long time, so -- while I wait -- I thought I'd create this thread and keep you all posted on my progress. Maybe some of you can add your own tips and tricks.

As a first step, I had to remove all of the codecs and libraries that I installed from Debian Multimedia. That removal took out a heck of a lot of packages. Here's the list:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg kaffeine libavcodec51 libavdevice52 libavformat52 libavutil49 libpostproc51 libswscale0 libvlc0 libxine1-ffmpeg libxine1-plugins mozilla-plugin-vlc vlc vlc-nox wengophone
I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to reinstall them later, but -- for now -- they're gone.

The next step was to satisfy all of the build dependencies. Most of the necessary packages can be obtained from Lenny's repositories, but some I had to build from Sid source. Here's the list that I installed from Lenny's repositories:

dh-buildinfo iceape-dev iceape-dev-bin liba52-0.7.4-dev libaa1-dev libarts1-dev libartsc0-dev libasound2-dev libatk1.0-dev libaudiofile-dev libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev libavcodec51 libavcodec-dev libavformat52 libavformat-dev libavutil49 libavutil-dev libcaca-dev libcairo2-dev libcdio-dev libcucul-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libdc1394-22-dev libdirectfb-dev libdvbpsi4-dev libdvdnav-dev libdvdread-dev libebml-dev libenca-dev libesd0-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libfribidi-dev libggi2-dev libgif-dev libgii1-dev libglib2.0-dev libgsm1-dev libgtk2.0-dev libhal-dev libid3tag0-dev libimlib2-dev libiso9660-dev libjack0.100.0-dev libjack-dev liblircclient-dev libltdl3-dev liblua5.1-0 liblua5.1-0-dev libmad0-dev libmatroska-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmpeg3-1 libmpeg3-dev libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev libnotify-dev libnspr4-dev libogg-dev liboil0.3-dev libpango1.0-dev libpixman-1-dev libpostproc51 libpostproc-dev libpulse-browse0 libpulse-dev libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libqt4-assistant libqt4-dev libqt4-help libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xmlpatterns libraw1394-dev libreadline5-dev libschroedinger-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libshout3-dev libslang2-dev libsmbclient-dev libspeex-dev libsvga1-dev libswscale0 libswscale-dev libsysfs-dev libtag1-dev libtar-dev libtheora-dev libtiff4-dev libtiffxx0c2 libtwolame-dev libvcdinfo-dev libvorbis-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-render-util0-dev libxcomposite-dev libxdamage-dev libxml2-dev libxpm-dev libxv-dev libxxf86dga-dev libxxf86vm-dev nasm qt4-dev-tools qt4-qmake x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xf86dga-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev
Then I had to build some packages from Sid source. To do that I added:

deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main
to my /etc/apt/sources.list and ran apt-get update.

Next, I created a directory called vlc in my home directory cd'd to it and ran as normal user:

apt-get source libass libdca liblivemedia libv4l vlc
I then built the packages in the following order:
  1. libass
  2. libdca
  3. liblivemedia
  4. libv4l
  5. vlc
by cd'ing to the directories and running as normal user:

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
Between each build, I installed the DEBs that the builds created.

The build of vlc just finished, so now I'm going to install it and see how it works.

I'll keep you posted.

Soul Singin'

#2 Post by Soul Singin' »

SUCCESS !!! VLC 0.9.8 is up and running on Debian Lenny! :D

I also managed to reinstall the codecs and libraries from Debian Multimedia. Now I can use VLC to watch an FLV video and then encode it to MP3, MP4 or MPG for use with portable media devices.

With a standard Lenny installation, you can watch video on VLC, but if you want to encode, you have to install packages from Debian Multimedia that break VLC's ability to play video.

I can now do both! :lol:

If you follow my directions above and if Debian-Multimedia is in your /etc/apt/sources.list, then after building and installing VLC, simply run the following command to restore the lost packages:

apt-get -t debian-multimedia install ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg kaffeine libavcodec51 libavdevice52 libavformat52 libavutil49 libpostproc51 libswscale0 libvlc0 libxine1-ffmpeg libxine1-plugins wengophone
To save disk space, I also removed all but 9 of the 133 packages that I built and/or installed to build VLC. Here are the only ones you need:

libass1
libavcodec51
libavformat52
libavutil49
libdca0
liblua5.1-0
libpostproc51
libswscale0
libv4l-0
Have fun!

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

Soul Singin' wrote:SUCCESS !!! VLC 0.9.8 is up and running on Debian Lenny! :D

I also managed to reinstall the codecs and libraries from Debian Multimedia. Now I can use VLC to watch an FLV video and then encode it to MP3, MP4 or MPG for use with portable media devices.

With a standard Lenny installation, you can watch video on VLC, but if you want to encode, you have to install packages from Debian Multimedia that break VLC's ability to play video.

I can now do both! :lol:

If you follow my directions above and if Debian-Multimedia is in your /etc/apt/sources.list, then after building and installing VLC, simply run the following command to restore the lost packages:

apt-get -t debian-multimedia install ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg kaffeine libavcodec51 libavdevice52 libavformat52 libavutil49 libpostproc51 libswscale0 libvlc0 libxine1-ffmpeg libxine1-plugins wengophone
To save disk space, I also removed all but 9 of the 133 packages that I built and/or installed to build VLC. Here are the only ones you need:

libass1
libavcodec51
libavformat52
libavutil49
libdca0
liblua5.1-0
libpostproc51
libswscale0
libv4l-0
Have fun!
Hi I had a rough time compiling VLC 8.6h on Puppy Linux, It took days :?
I was wondering could you package your version up and post on one of those free ftp hosting sites like filefront etc please and provide a link. If possible?
Thanks for your time
ttuuxxx

Soul Singin'

#4 Post by Soul Singin' »

ttuuxxx wrote:I was wondering could you package your version up and post on one of those free ftp hosting sites like filefront etc please and provide a link. If possible?
Since I built DEBs, that is not a problem. See VLC_Debian-Lenny.tar.gz at FileFront. The tarball contains all of the unsigned DEBs that I built to install VLC 0.9.8 on Debian Lenny.

This is Free Software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

I have done my best to produce a set of DEBs that will enable you to easily install VLC 0.9.8 on Debian Lenny. I have tested them on two different machines and I believe that they are safe, but I cannot not provide any guarantee that they will work for you. If these DEBs break your system, you get to keep the pieces.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I tried to add links to the copyright and source code in the comments section (i.e. to be compliant with Free/Open Source licensing), but the comments disappeared. Please let me know if you see or do not see the links.
Last edited by Soul Singin' on 2009-04-07 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#5 Post by ttuuxxx »

Soul Singin' wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:I was wondering could you package your version up and post on one of those free ftp hosting sites like filefront etc please and provide a link. If possible?
Since I built DEBs, that is not a problem. See VLC_Debian-Lenny.tar.gz at FileFront. The tarball contains all of the unsigned DEBs that I built to install VLC 0.9.8 on Debian Lenny.

This is Free Software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

I have done my best to produce a set of DEBs that will enable you to easily install VLC 0.9.8 on Debian Lenny. I have tested them on two different machines and I believe that they are safe, but I cannot not provide any guarantee that they will work for you. If these DEBs break your system, you get to keep the pieces.

Enjoy!
Hi thats not a problem, I'm running Dpup live Alpha3 that I built, Can't hurt a thing, just reboot the cd and I'm back in Business:) built on woof :)
ttuuxxx

drinkmilk

Re: VLC 0.9.8 in Lenny -- without mixing system!

#6 Post by drinkmilk »

Hello, and thanks for your work.

But it seems that your DEBs are no longer available, Filefront says: File is Unavailable.

And since squeeze's and sid's VLC versions both depend on libc6 >= 2.8 and lenny's libc6 is 2.7 (and backporting of libc6 is ... something like impossible), I dont see how one could build nice DEBs of VLC as you did.

Could you please make your DEBs available to some place?

Thanks!

Loris

Soul Singin'

#7 Post by Soul Singin' »

drinkmilk wrote:Could you please make your DEBs available to some place?
If you could suggest a location, I'd be happy to.

In the meantime, I've attached the debian/ directories to build each package from source, so if you can get the source packages, e.g. from Snapshot Debian, you should be able to build them all.

Good Luck!
- Soul Singin'
Attachments
debian-dirs_vlc-build.tar.gz
(112.39 KiB) Downloaded 916 times

drinkmilk

#8 Post by drinkmilk »

OK this is GREAT!! Thanks :)

now vlc is building, I am looking forward to see the result.

I did not know of snapshot.debian.org, this seems to be a very good service. However it seems that only packages that reached stable are there; anyhow I could not find vlc 0.9.8a there. But I found it in launchpad: https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/vlc/0.9.8a-3

As for an upload place, I have not much experience but I find dropbox to be a good tool for this; getdropbox.com, create an account and use the public folder (right click to a file to get a public URL for it).

Actually if the build succeeds and the packages work well, I dont mind uploading them with my dropbox account and post the link here.

drinkmilk

#9 Post by drinkmilk »

Hey,

I built 1.0.1 packages and opened a new thread about it.

Loris