Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I uninstall a program that I compiled?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
s3a

How do I uninstall a program that I compiled?

#1 Post by s3a »

How do I uninstall a program that I compiled? I'm asking because it seems as if I "halfway" installed a program called backintime. On a previous installation of Lenny, I got it working right with the simple ./configure make sudo make install but this time, something went wrong. I see backintime in the menu but the program doesn't launch and when I installed it (or after - I can't remember) it said:

deniz@debian:~$ cd Desktop/backintime-0.9.22
deniz@debian:~/Desktop/backintime-0.9.22$ ./configure
Common: --common
GNOME: --gnome
KDE4: --no-kde4
All OK. Now run:
make
sudo make install
deniz@debian:~/Desktop/backintime-0.9.22$ make
msgfmt -o po/zh_CN.mo po/zh_CN.po
/bin/bash: msgfmt: command not found
make: *** [po/zh_CN.mo] Error 127
deniz@debian:~/Desktop/backintime-0.9.22$

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

penpen

Re: How do I uninstall a program that I compiled?

#2 Post by penpen »

If you still have the folder you extracted the source code into, you should be able to run the following to uninstall it (based on the configure script which was generated):

Code: Select all

make uninstall
This doesn't work all the time (like if no such script exists), but I've found it to work most of the time.

acimmarusti

#3 Post by acimmarusti »

This, generally, does it

make clean
sudo make uninstall

Soul Singin'

#4 Post by Soul Singin' »

s3a wrote:

deniz@debian:~/Desktop/backintime-0.9.22$ make
msgfmt -o po/zh_CN.mo po/zh_CN.po
/bin/bash: msgfmt: command not found
make: *** [po/zh_CN.mo] Error 127
deniz@debian:~/Desktop/backintime-0.9.22$
Given what you posted, it looks like the make failed. So long as you didn't run the make install command, then nothing was installed.

More importantly, you should the avoid the make install routine. I recommend building DEB packages from Debianized source, but if that's not available, you can build DEBs with dh_make.

EDIT: Looks like you're in luck. You can build backintime from Sid source It's a great exercise and will only take a few minutes.

Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main
Then run (as root):

apt-get update
apt-get install fakeroot
apt-get build-dep backintime
Then create a directory for the build in your normal user's home directory. As normal user, run:

mkdir backintime-src
cd backintime-src
apt-get source backintime
cd backintime-0.9.20/
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
The build goes pretty quick. Once it's finished you'll find the DEBS in your backintime-src directory and you can install them (as root) with:

dpkg -i backintime-common_0.9.20-1_all.deb backintime-gnome_0.9.20-1_all.deb
Note that the KDE4 interface will not work on Debian Lenny (for obvious reasons).

If you do not have all of the required dependencies installed, you can resolve them by chasing the dpkg -i command with:

apt-get -f install
It looks like a pretty cool package. Thanks for the tip!

Have fun!

s3a

#5 Post by s3a »

That all sounds good for installing it but my problem is how do I uninstall it? I know it's already installed because I see it in my menu on Applications-->System Tools!

Thanks!
Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Soul Singin'

#6 Post by Soul Singin' »

s3a wrote:That all sounds good for installing it but my problem is how do I uninstall it? I know it's already installed because I see it in my menu on Applications-->System Tools!
And that's exactly why you should NEVER use the make install routine.

For what it's worth, penpen already gave you the answer:
penpen wrote:If you still have the folder you extracted the source code into, you should be able to run the following to uninstall it (based on the configure script which was generated):

make uninstall
This doesn't work all the time (like if no such script exists), but I've found it to work most of the time.
If it doesn't work, then you'll have to sift through the contents of the Makefile.template file to figure out where everything was installed and then you'll have to manually remove them all.

Have fun!