Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

About the LCD ClearType patch

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
helai

About the LCD ClearType patch

#1 Post by helai »

I notice some posts mentioned that Ubuntu has enable this function by default,but debian not.
it seems right,because fonts seems ugly compared with ubuntu(hardy) has

So I download these packages of the ubuntu( jaunty) and installed them on my debian(squeeze).but it seems no any improvement for font rendering. so it is strange because fonts in ubuntu(hardy) looks better than debian based on the same font configuration.

I 'd like to know whether it is necessary for me to apply these patches to libcairo2 libxft2 and libfreetype6 as this web site mentioned
http://quanli.googlepages.com/davidturn ... rdebiansid
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ildpackage
(herein I notice all these web sites listed above is out of date)

But after I download the sources from libfreetype6 ,i 'd happy to find one fold named patch under the debian folder,it includes
freetype-2.1.7-backwards.compat.patch
enable-full-bytecode-interpreter
freetype-bdflib-large-encodings.patch
enable-subpixel-rendering.patch
freetype-bytecode-interpreter.patch

so whether it means that debian already applied these patched to the released package of libfreetype6.is it right?

But for libcairo2 and libxft2 , I can't confirm it from their sources .

who can help me to clarify it

Thanks,
Helai

emariz

Re: About the LCD ClearType patch

#2 Post by emariz »

helai wrote:I notice some posts mentioned that Ubuntu has enable this function by default,but debian not.
so it is strange because fonts in ubuntu(hardy) looks better than debian based on the same font configuration.
These sentences involve a contradiction because if Ubuntu uses a feature that Debian doesn't, how could equal settings produce the same result?
I use 9 point fonts and slight sub-pixel smoothening and the fonts look like Ubuntu's or Fedora's.

helai

#3 Post by helai »

here is the captured screen from my squeeze,and no any patch applied,it you still think it is same as good looking of font rendering ,thus I have no words to say
squzze_default.jpeg
squzze_default.jpeg (176.59 KiB) Viewed 18931 times

emariz

#4 Post by emariz »

And they don't look like mine, I told you mine look smooth. I'd provide a screen capture but I'm using a mobile device while my laptop is being repaired, I'll post it when I have it back.

helai

#5 Post by helai »

here is the captured screen from ubuntu(hardy),it looks better
hardy_default.jpeg
hardy_default.jpeg (199.58 KiB) Viewed 18913 times

helai

#6 Post by helai »

from above,I believe ubuntu must have applied some patches to their libs.but the questions is how can I get these latest patches(where to get,some them are out of date) and how to apply these patches manuly.

Before I got the answer, I will stay at Ubuntu for it's ugly font rendering in Debian.

Thanks,
Helai

Mr B

#7 Post by Mr B »

You might find this, or this helpful in getting nice looking fonts...

Mr B

#8 Post by Mr B »

You might want to change the default font settings in your browser as well.

helai

#9 Post by helai »

Thanks

In this post ,they are focus in how to use the Windows fonts,in my debian , I currently are using the Microsoft Yahei,the truetype font.so it is similar as they required.
In this post,one topic is Dpi setting,for this ,I always keep my view,that every LCD has it's own DPI,so for my one, I'd always set it to 86dpi instead of 96dpi as in windows setting,and another topic is the command of "dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config" ,yes I have run it ,may be a little bit improved.

But still no users of Debian noticed the LCD patch as other distro users are caring,they are discussing it as linkages listed below

ubuntu user
Gentoo user
Windows user
Fedora user
Archlinux user

Helai

Mr B

#10 Post by Mr B »

This the forum on my Iceweasel (Squeeze)

Don't know about the LCD patch, but I spent some time, a while ago, getting the fonts set up to get a good appearance. (Using the two links I gave before)

For your info the fonts I am using in iceweasel are here:-

Hope this helps....

stream304

#11 Post by stream304 »

helai wrote: ... one topic is Dpi setting,for this ,I always keep my view,that every LCD has it's own DPI,so for my one, I'd always set it to 86dpi instead of 96dpi as in windows setting,and another topic is the command of "dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config" ,yes I have run it ,may be a little bit improved.
Fonts in Debian look just as good as Ubuntu to me as long as I have been doing the following:

1) Calculate what the dpi should be, and apply that FIRST. Example for 1024x768 on a 12.1 inch screen diagonally measured:

Code: Select all

echo 'scale=5;sqrt(1024^2+768^2)/12.1 | bc'
2) With the correct default dpi set, now go ahead and adjust the the font sizes, hinting, etc to your liking at this setting - even if you don't plan to use that dpi setting as default. Make it look reasonable at this step - get the font size relationships ok etc.

3) Now if you need to adjust for eyesight issues and need the whole setup a bit larger or smaller, crank your dpi up or down beyond what is calculated and all the fonts should follow naturally. If some fonts are still out of whack, go back to step 2 to make the adjustments, and THEN adjust your dpi back again to what you desire.

Works for me every time...
Last edited by stream304 on 2009-04-29 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Apple G5 iMac - Lenny

emariz

#12 Post by emariz »

I told you the problem was yours.

namaku0

#13 Post by namaku0 »

I remember doing this when Lenny was still 'testing', and I really did
feel the difference. As far as I can remember when installing GNOME
desktop on Lenny (stable) a couple weeks ago it's still the same, you
need the patched package.

BTW, instead of patching and recompiling I decided to use Ubuntu
packages directly to get the same result. If I remember correctly
these packages were:
  • - libcairo2
    - libxft2
    - libfreetype6
You can always try the newest packages from Jaunty or Karmic,

In GNOME you may want to try hinting others than full, like medium and slight.
I finds slight good for fonts from Microsoft, medium and full should be no
problem with free/open fonts.

Here is screenshot, there is no rainbow effect arround the font and judge it by
yourself if this is better than any screenshot posted above or not. (Calibri
fonts on Ubuntu with slight hinting and LCD subpixel rendering/smoothing)
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (19.27 KiB) Viewed 18657 times
Last edited by namaku0 on 2009-05-05 10:28, edited 2 times in total.

namaku0

#14 Post by namaku0 »

Here is all in one:
Attachments
all.png
all.png (217.29 KiB) Viewed 18708 times

timrichardson

#15 Post by timrichardson »

I've installed Debian and Ubuntu multiple times on various laptops in the past year, sometimes on machines with intel graphics and sometimes with Nvidia. Every time, the fonts look great on both systems out of the stock install. This is true of Lenny and testing. Debian's fonts look better to me, particularly in consoles, but that's a personal preference. Technically, standard installations of both systems provide great looking fonts with sub-pixel smoothing (if you turn it on).

headlesshorseman

#16 Post by headlesshorseman »

Ubuntu's fonts look much more smooth on my HP w1907. This monitor tends to pick up on the good, the bad, and the ugly of fonts. Debian's always tend to to render poorly until patched.

Has anyone managed to get nice looking fonts in Debian lately?

EDzior

#17 Post by EDzior »

helai wrote: But after I download the sources from libfreetype6 ,i 'd happy to find one fold named patch under the debian folder,it includes
freetype-2.1.7-backwards.compat.patch
enable-full-bytecode-interpreter
freetype-bdflib-large-encodings.patch
enable-subpixel-rendering.patch
freetype-bytecode-interpreter.patch

so whether it means that debian already applied these patched to the released package of libfreetype6.is it right?

But for libcairo2 and libxft2 , I can't confirm it from their sources .

who can help me to clarify it

Thanks,
Helai
Hi. I will try to get this simple and straight.

1. Freetype - subpixel rendering is already enabled by default in Debian (testing/unstable)
2. Xft - support for subpixel rendering is already supported by upstream, no patches needed (testing/unstable)
3. Cairo - subpixel rendering is not enabled by default in Debian (testing/unstable) patch needed
4. Fontconfig - subpixel rendering is supported in Debian but if you want to make effects like in Ubuntu you have to apply their patches (in my opinion).

Now, Qt/KDE applications uses Xft for subpixel rendering, so if you're using Debian testing/unstable (KDE 4.2.x/Qt 4.5.x) you don't need to patch anything.
GTK+/Gnome applications uses Cairo for subpixel rendering, so if you want this rendering you need to patch Cairo (with Ubuntu patch for example)

I'm using Debian testing/unstable (KDE 4.2.x/Qt 4.5.x) with subpixel rendering but I'm also using some GTK+ applications (ex. Iceweasel) so:
1. I've build fontconfig packages from Ubuntu Jaunty sources
2. I've patched Cairo packages for subpixel rendering (GTK+ applications)

If you want to try these packages you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/emikaadeo/home/packages
They're for Debian unstable (i386), but should also work on testing.

Regards.
Debian testing/unstable + KDE4

headlesshorseman

#18 Post by headlesshorseman »

Hi. I will try to get this simple and straight.

1. Freetype - subpixel rendering is already enabled by default in Debian (testing/unstable)
2. Xft - support for subpixel rendering is already supported by upstream, no patches needed (testing/unstable)
3. Cairo - subpixel rendering is not enabled by default in Debian (testing/unstable) patch needed
4. Fontconfig - subpixel rendering is supported in Debian but if you want to make effects like in Ubuntu you have to apply their patches (in my opinion).

Now, Qt/KDE applications uses Xft for subpixel rendering, so if you're using Debian testing/unstable (KDE 4.2.x/Qt 4.5.x) you don't need to patch anything.
GTK+/Gnome applications uses Cairo for subpixel rendering, so if you want this rendering you need to patch Cairo (with Ubuntu patch for example)

I'm using Debian testing/unstable (KDE 4.2.x/Qt 4.5.x) with subpixel rendering but I'm also using some GTK+ applications (ex. Iceweasel) so:
1. I've build fontconfig packages from Ubuntu Jaunty sources
2. I've patched Cairo packages for subpixel rendering (GTK+ applications)

If you want to try these packages you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/emikaadeo/home/packages
They're for Debian unstable (i386), but should also work on testing.
These patches don't work in testing because libxcb-render-util0 is at 0.3.3-2 and your packes require 0.3.4

EDzior

#19 Post by EDzior »

headlesshorseman wrote: These patches don't work in testing because libxcb-render-util0 is at 0.3.3-2 and your packes require 0.3.4
I've checked this and you're right :)
So, for now, these packages are working only in unstable (i386) or mixing Debian testing/unstable.
Debian testing/unstable + KDE4

headlesshorseman

#20 Post by headlesshorseman »

I've checked this and you're right :)
So, for now, these packages are working only in unstable (i386) or mixing Debian testing/unstable.
BUT, those fonts do look beautiful in Unstable! I'd love to know how you built these since there's always a gap in between big updates where there aren't packages available.

Thanks!