Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

apt-get dist-upgrade vs apt-get full-upgrade

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
s3a

apt-get dist-upgrade vs apt-get full-upgrade

#1 Post by s3a »

I heard that from now on apt-get full-upgrade must be used instead of apt-get dist-upgrade in order to upgrade from one version of Debian to another. Is this true? Why?
Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Telemachus

Re: apt-get dist-upgrade vs apt-get full-upgrade

#2 Post by Telemachus »

Where did you "hear" this? You make it sound like these are two different commands in apt-get. Is that what you mean? Aptitude has been using new command names: full-upgrade and safe-upgrade for awhile now. I could imagine apt-get switching names as well, but I'm using Lenny, so I don't know about newer versions of apt-get.

In any case, the reason for Aptitude's name-switch, I think, is that dist-grade was always a bit confusing. You don't only use that command to upgrade from one branch of Debian to another. The name-change is clearer (even if it does require more typing - but that's why the Unix gods invented aliases).
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

BioTube

#3 Post by BioTube »

apt-get doesn't support aptitude neologisms. I highly doubt aptitude itself will drop the correct names, however - that's really more work than it's worth.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Telemachus

#4 Post by Telemachus »

BioTube wrote:I highly doubt aptitude itself will drop the correct names, however
So in your language, when you say 'correct', you (sometimes, at least) mean 'incorrect'. Fascinating.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

BioTube

#5 Post by BioTube »

I say 'correct' because 1)'safe-upgrade's can still bork your system and 2)they weren't created a couple of years ago for a package manager with no way to surgically remove packages.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.