Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can I still use woody?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
zenlunatic

Can I still use woody?

#1 Post by zenlunatic »

I have an old laptop that I'm thinking would be best running Woody. I was just wondering do they still do security updates for woody? What about other updates? Also can I use backports with woody? I would need to install gcc4, newest kernel, and rt2500-sources because I rely on a wireless card.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

I have an old laptop that I'm thinking would be best running Woody.
ok...

I was just wondering do they still do security updates for woody? What about other updates?
Nothing preceding Sarge is getting updates -- security or otherwise.

Also can I use backports with woody?
There is a note on www.backports.org dated December '05 stating that they have "switched to sarge." That doesn't sound good for you. You can try adding backports.org to your sources.list. It might work; it might not.

I would need to install gcc4, newest kernel, and rt2500-sources because I rely on a wireless card.
I see rt2500 support in testing and unstable (but not in Sarge! ??) I don't use wireless, but my initial thought is that wireless support would be better in a more current version of Debian.

DeanLinkous

#3 Post by DeanLinkous »

Yea I think you just negated any reason to use woody if you need newer stuff. :) Best to go for sarge or even etch. Why do you think you should go with woody?

zenlunatic

#4 Post by zenlunatic »

Well this laptop is only a 366mhz with maxed out ram at 256mb :(

It runs xubuntu pretty nice I must say. To put debian on it I need to find a supported pcmcia card though, because it doesn't have on board NIC :(

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

For all networking equipment, wired or wireless, my advice is to stay with the better-know, more-popular equipment manufacturers. Netgear.com is my first choice; Linksys.com is second. D-link is popular, but quite a few people seem to have trouble with their equipment.

DeanLinkous

#6 Post by DeanLinkous »

i run a ibm thinkpad 366mhz PII with max ram of 288 and I run a base install debian etch then apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment and openoffice and firefox and it seems to do fine. A bit sluggish on openoffice of course. I have tweaked a few things but nothing major and I think it does just fine.

I think I posted in your other thread also...so go get it and get debianized :)

zenlunatic

#7 Post by zenlunatic »

I would if I had a network connection!

ajdlinux

#8 Post by ajdlinux »

Woody is *ancient*, if you want anything newer than KDE 2.2 or GNOME 1.4, you won't get it in woody. The security updates for Woody are just about to end at the end of this month I think.

jjmac

#9 Post by jjmac »

I've got woody on my second drive which recently saved my butt :)

back ports, yes, depends if you want to go to the trouble ...

kernel, yes

gcc4, possible abi issues, but worth a shot

>>
I would need to install gcc4, newest kernel, and rt2500-sources because I rely on a wireless card.
I see rt2500 support in testing and unstable (but not in Sarge! ??) I don't use wireless, but my initial thought is that wireless support would be better in a more current version of Debian.
>>

Lost me there (grin) "i don't use wirless" ???

There is an abi change in gcc4 and other issues have cropped up regarding it. Do you absolutly need that to compile your rt2500 sources.

I'd be inclined to just edit the Makefile (grin).

I think i'll wait to i see a bit of minor number increment activity on gcc4 before i bother seriously myself,though i think the design goal is excellent.

Woody rocks :)

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !