Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to Rip CSS Protected DVDs

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Issyer

How to Rip CSS Protected DVDs

#1 Post by Issyer »

A lot of DVDs from the DVD device fail to rip with the error "libdvdread: Can't seek to block".
It means that libdvdread can't read the DVD disk. But it doesn't mean that if the content of the DVD is already on your hard drive, libdvdread will be involved again.

The solution to that can be the following. Copy the content of this DVD to your hard drive into the folder 'movie', for example.

Make sure acidrip is installed: apt-get install acidrip
from multimedia: http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/unst ... cidrip.php

Then just specify the path to the 'movie' folder instead of the DVD device in acidrip.
Alternatively you can use just mencoder. It comes with mplayer:

Code: Select all

mencoder dvd://2 -dvd-device /home/alex/movie  -alang English \
-info srcform="DVD ripped by Alex Thegreat" -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 \
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:v4mv:vqmin=2:vbitrate=10000 -vf pp=de,scale=800:450  \
-o "/home/alex/movie.avi"
dvd://2 - means Track 2 to rip
-dvd-device /home/alex/movie - the folder you put the content of the DVD in
vbitrate=10000 - for the quality of the video
scale=800:450 - how to scale, here is 16:9 aspect ratio

If due to some reason you cannot copy the content of the DVD with your Dolphin or mc or whatever file manager you use there, do it with dd:

dd if=/dev/dvd of=/home/alex/movie/movie.iso
When the ISO is created, mount it:

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 movie/movie.iso /media/cdrom
Note: create "/media/cdrom" folder, if it doesn't exist. It will be the mount point.

Then copy the content of the mounted ISO to your "movie" folder or even don't copy, if you don't want, but use the "/media/cdrom" folder which should contain everything you need.

If dd fails with the error: "reading `/dev/dvd': Input/output error", try dvdbackup.
Make sure it is installed:

apt-get install dvdbackup
Then run:

dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -M -o movie
Remeber: the idea is to get the content of the DVD to your hard drive and rip it from there.

Run acidrip or mencoder as described above.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Issyer on 2009-08-15 02:26, edited 3 times in total.

Issyer

Re: How to Rip CSS Protected DVDs

#2 Post by Issyer »

up
Last edited by Issyer on 2009-07-13 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

You might try using DeVeDe.
DeVeDe is a program to create video DVDs and CDs (VCD, sVCD or CVD), suitables for home players, from any number of video files, in any of the formats supported by Mplayer. The big advantage over other utilites is that it only needs Mplayer, Mencoder, DVDAuthor, VCDImager and MKisofs (well, and Python, PyGTK and PyGlade), so its dependencies are really small.

or Acidrip
AcidRip is a Gtk::Perl application for ripping and encoding DVD's. It
neatly wraps MPlayer and MEncoder, which I think is pretty handy, seeing as
MPlayer is by far the best bit of video playing kit around for Linux. As
well as creating a simple Graphical Interface for those scared of getting
down and dirty with MEncoders command line interface, It also automates the
process in a number of ways.
Homepage: http://untrepid.com/acidrip/
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Issyer

#4 Post by Issyer »

craigevil wrote:AcidRip is a Gtk::Perl application for ripping and encoding DVD's.
Incorrect. AcidRip is just a graphical front-end for mencoder and nothing else. Why they wrote that, I don't know.
Acidrip is fundamentally a wrapper application. This means that is is written in order to provide an easy and logical method to use another more complicated applciation, i.e. MEncoder
It has nothing to do with either reading DVDs or encrypting them. Libdvdread reads DVDs. Libdvdread only reads DVDs but doesn't decrypt (or maybe just a little bit). Libdvdcss2 decrypts DVDs on the fly. But quite often both Libdvdread and libdvdcss2 don't cope. When that happens, I offer to try fetching the contents of the DVDs to the hard drive and ripping them from there, from the hard drive, not from the DVD device. And finally, if that fetching with regular file managers fails, I suggest to use dd or dvdbackup to copy everything from the DVD device to the hard drive.

Obviously you didn't read what I wrote above.

milomak

#5 Post by milomak »

k9copy (if you are a KDE person) used to be quite good. I haven't used it in close to a year I reckon so can't totally vouch for it now.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

esp7

#6 Post by esp7 »

I recently ripped some of my own copy protected DVD movies myself and couldn't find any relevant help and info on this forum. So will activate this old topic to share the solution I was able to find during the last 2 weeks for helping others in the future :D

Almost all copy protected movies can be played via VLC media player with working DVD menus after installing Videolan's libdvdcss library which is not in the default Debian repositories, although it respects free software rules. After installing the libary via Videolan's repository you can decrypt on-the-fly css protected movies: http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html

repository to be added in /etc/apt/sources.list and key to be added:

deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable/ /

wget -O - http://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/videolan-apt.asc | sudo apt-key add -

To make 1:1 DVD9 rips of the video and audiostreams the one and only respectable application is MakeMKV. Also this one is not in the debian reposistories as the source of the binary to decrypt Bluray streams is not published obviously to avoid blacklisting of the Bluray decryption keys. However, the applaction itself is open sourced and should be compiled yourself: http://www.makemkv.com/download/

Download both packages (binary and source):
http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv ... 0.5.tar.gz
http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv ... 0.5.tar.gz

Required tools to compile and install debian packaged MakeMKV:

sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev checkinstall
Compile makemkv-oss:

./configure
make
sudo checkinstall
Compile makemkv-bin:

make
sudo checkinstall
It works like a champ and you literally rip a DVD9 in 5minutes as a clean MKV with 1:1 audio and video streams which you afterwards easily can encode with HandBrake. Please only use this to make legal backups of your own purchased movies. Please do not support piracy. The disk media age is rapidly going extinct like the dinosaurs, at least now we can backup easily our movies :D

I really wanted to share this information here as there is so much crap posted on multiple forums on the internet that the good information is barely accessible and all above suggestions did not allow me to rip my dvd movies with the recent css protections. Enjoy!
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

esp7 wrote:Almost all copy protected movies can be played... after installing Videolan's libdvdcss library which is...
...which is illegal even to possess in the USA. (Just sayin')

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

^ https://www.videolan.org/legal.html

"allows circumvention in some cases" ... hmmm...

RU55EL

#9 Post by RU55EL »

dasein wrote:
esp7 wrote:Almost all copy protected movies can be played... after installing Videolan's libdvdcss library which is...
The software?

https://www.copyright.gov/1201/
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), codified in part in 17 U.S.C. § 1201, makes it illegal to circumvent technological measures used to prevent unauthorized access to copyrighted works, including copyrighted books, movies, videos, video games, computer programs.
Isn't circumventing technological measures on a DVD you purchased considered authorized fair use?

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

debiman wrote:^ https://www.videolan.org/legal.html

Circumvention is not the issue. Under 17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(2), mere possession of libdvdcss is illegal in the US, even if one never uses it.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 11#p550982

phenest

#11 Post by phenest »

dasein wrote:
I don't know if that library is illegal in the UK for playing DVD's, but it is illegal to makes copies in the UK, even for personal use.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

phenest wrote:
dasein wrote:
I don't know if that library is illegal in the UK for playing DVD's...
IANAL, and certainly don't know UK IP law, but in the US, what's illegal is circumventing copy protection, or possessing a technology that allows you to do so. So yes, playing a DVD in Linux is criminal in the US--not for the action itself, but for merely having the technology required to do it.

dasein

#13 Post by dasein »

RU55EL wrote:
dasein wrote:
The software?

https://www.copyright.gov/1201/
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), codified in part in 17 U.S.C. § 1201, makes it illegal to circumvent technological measures used to prevent unauthorized access to copyrighted works, including copyrighted books, movies, videos, video games, computer programs.
Isn't circumventing technological measures on a DVD you purchased considered authorized fair use?
Why do I suddenly feel like I am in the middle of a systemd debate?

Gentlemen:

1) Go read the law, not someone's interpretation of it.

2) "Read the law" means read the WHOLE law. Pay special attention to subsection (a)(2) while asking yourself precisely how you would acquire libdvdcss at all without, by definition, "trafficking" in it.

3) For the last damn time, circumvention is not the (only) issue; possession is. One need not murder someone, nor even to fire so much as a single shot, to be found guilty of gun possession in a venue where such possession is in and of itself illegal.

phenest

#14 Post by phenest »

In the UK, law was changed in October 2014 to allow copying for personal use (fair use). In July 2015, it changed to prevent that.

Looking further into this, in the UK, it doesn't apply to DRM. It applies to music, videos and e-books, DRM or not. But it only seems to apply to copying and not playing.

To summarise, in the UK, it's not about circumvention or possession. It's about copying. It's clearly somewhat harsher in the US.

dasein

#15 Post by dasein »

phenest wrote:It's clearly somewhat harsher in the US.
What a delightfully charitable characterization. I'd be more inclined to call it "draconian."

But hey, at least the copyright on Mickey Mouse was extended. (Sorry, obscure anti-DMCA reference. Gawd, but I hate that law. )

esp7

#16 Post by esp7 »

dasein wrote:...which is illegal even to possess in the USA. (Just sayin')
although death penalty, owning guns, bombing humanitarian hospitals and invading other countries is perfectly legal. pardon me that I don't really care about your country :wink: fix your country and vote for the right people, try to get rid of your ridiculous voting system etc... but to be honest, I think the US of A is broken beyond repair and soon nearing total collapse.

//END OFFTOPIC

on topic: it should be regulated by EU that vendors should be penalized if they sell crippled material with half working functionalities. seriously, latest DVD9 even don't show up on your computer and it's not a linux issue. if they don't want to have us playing generic DVD disks in computer they should invent another medium. all DRM has to be destroyed rather sooner than later.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

RU55EL

#17 Post by RU55EL »

dasein wrote:
debiman wrote:^ https://www.videolan.org/legal.html

Circumvention is not the issue. Under 17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(2), mere possession of libdvdcss is illegal in the US, even if one never uses it.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 11#p550982
Understood.

Thanks for the response. (What the heck is this county turning into?)

dasein

#18 Post by dasein »

RU55EL wrote:Thanks for the response. (What the heck is this county turning into?)
Actually, this law was passed almost 20 years ago. The M in DMCA stands for "Millenium"

phenest

#19 Post by phenest »

esp7 wrote:it should be regulated by EU
You mean the same EU that wanted some popular fruits to be a certain shape? I'm glad we're leaving.

Dai_trying

#20 Post by Dai_trying »

phenest wrote:
esp7 wrote:it should be regulated by EU
You mean the same EU that wanted some popular fruits to be a certain shape? I'm glad we're leaving.
I just fell off my chair, a big +1