Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

change character encoding in xfce4 desktop

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
forum4programs

change character encoding in xfce4 desktop

#1 Post by forum4programs »

Hi,

Can somebody help me how to change character encoding, so I can type more accurately. I don't have english keyboard, but the system use it.

Currently using stable lenny with xfce

garrincha

Re: change character encoding in xfce4 desktop

#2 Post by garrincha »

forum4programs wrote:Hi,

Can somebody help me how to change character encoding, so I can type more accurately. I don't have english keyboard, but the system use it.

Currently using stable lenny with xfce
IIRC, click on the main menu --> Settings --> keyboard --> layout ---> add (your country keyboard)
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

forum4programs

#3 Post by forum4programs »

garrincha wrote:IIRC, click on the main menu --> Settings --> keyboard --> layout ---> add (your country keyboard)
Actually, I want to change current keyboard map to Finnish, currently using English.

What I have done to use finnish keyboard layout:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure locales
dpkg-reconfigure console-data
Nothing work :(

garrincha

#4 Post by garrincha »

forum4programs wrote:
garrincha wrote:IIRC, click on the main menu --> Settings --> keyboard --> layout ---> add (your country keyboard)
Actually, I want to change current keyboard map to Finnish, currently using English.
The method I suggested should work, at least for xfce4 desktop that you're using. When you click on main menu --> settings --> keyboard, click on 'layout' tab and deselect 'use system default' and click on 'add' button, a keyboard layout selection window will come up, from there you can choose 'Finland' and click 'o.k.' If in event that this doesn't work, log out of x and login to take effect.

For console, use dpkg-reconfigure console-data and select keymap from arch list - there should be Finnish listed.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

forum4programs

#5 Post by forum4programs »

garrincha wrote:
forum4programs wrote:
The method I suggested should work, at least for xfce4 desktop that you're using. When you click on main menu --> settings --> keyboard, click on 'layout' tab and deselect 'use system default' and click on 'add' button, a keyboard layout selection window will come up, from there you can choose 'Finland' and click 'o.k.' If in event that this doesn't work, log out of x and login to take effect.
Cant find add-button anywhere.

garrincha wrote:For console, use dpkg-reconfigure console-data and select keymap from arch list - there should be Finnish listed.
Yes, There is. - select keymap from arch list => qwerty => Finnish => standard
But it works only on tty console. :(

garrincha

#6 Post by garrincha »

What version of xfce4 you're using? I'm currently on Debian Squeeze and the xfce4 version is 4.6.1 (same as in Debian unstable):
After clicking on main menu: setting --> keyboard and then click on add to bring up the selection window: