Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

configuring the intel proset wireless driver

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Lecram

configuring the intel proset wireless driver

#1 Post by Lecram »

hai guys can you please tell me how to configure my intel proset wireless card in lenny and how to configure the IP.

acimmarusti

Re: configuring the intel proset wireless driver

#2 Post by acimmarusti »

First of all, lets see what you have. Open up a terminal/konsole and show me the output of:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep Network

Lecram

#3 Post by Lecram »

This is the following code i got

root@debian:/home/ben# lspci | grep Network
10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
root@debian:/home/ben#

acimmarusti

#4 Post by acimmarusti »

I will assume you are using Debian 5 Lenny.
Also do you have a working internet connection in Debian at all? (wired) that you could use to set up your wireless? Can you see the network-manager applet on the upper-right hand corner of your screen? (the icon that manages your internet connections)
If you do, and you have Lenny, then this is what you should do to setup your wireless device:

Add this line (you need to be a super user or root to do this)

deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Simply do the following:

su
    gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
In the editor copy and paste the line and save.

Once this is done, in the terminal, do the following:

aptitude update
    aptitude install debian-backports-keyring wireless-tools wpasupplicant
    aptitude -t lenny-backports install firmware-iwlwifi network-manager network-manager-gnome
These last lines will install the "drivers" for your wireless device and some tools and programs for you to easily configure your connections.

If you have no working internet connection and the only thing you can do is go to another computer (or boot to another OS) to get internet connectivity, then this is what you should do:

Go to this website: http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages
And search for each of the packages I have instructed you to install in the above (change the distribution to ANY), i.e. wireless-tools wpasupplicant (these first two you should use the packages for lenny) firmware-iwlwifi network-manager network-manager-gnome (these last three should be from lenny-backports). When you find them, click on them and then scroll down and you will see links for several architectures (if you have 64-bits, you should get the amd64 for example). Click on the appropriate one and download each of the packages.

Then go on to Debian and install them all by doing this:

dpkg -i package1.deb package2.deb ....
Once that is done restart the computer and try connecting to the wireless connection using the network-manager applet (if you have no applet, then follow these instructions for network-manager: http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse). This should work. If you have trouble, then post back.

Good luck!