Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing RPMs ???

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Light_Tech

Installing RPMs ???

#1 Post by Light_Tech »

Hi all,
Being new to the world of Debian I am in need of understanding a few things. (hopefully understandable) Presently I could use some help understanding why I need to use an RPM to DEB file conversion tool instead of just being able to create a few "simlinks" (I think they are called) to simulate the correct directory structure for RPM installation. Would someone with this understanding please share this knowledge with me?
Thank you. :roll:

Lou

#2 Post by Lou »

Just out of curiosity, which app is it that you want to install?
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

Light_Tech

Apps to install ....

#3 Post by Light_Tech »

Hi and thank you for your interest.
I am interested in attempting to implement a few visual (GUI) hardware tools from Mandrake and possibly RH. I would like to be able to tell what hardware (that isn't so obvious) has drivers installed, what it thinks are configured and what still needs to be configured. As for a specific RPM install ... I was thinking about trying to get harddrake and it's misc. counterparts installed and working. Also I wouldn't mind being able to cheat abit and use KDE's kernal configurator from kcontrol ... however it claims (although I have installed kernel source and headers (26x)) that it can not find them.

greenhat

#4 Post by greenhat »

hi, you might want to try alien (apt-get install alien) which can convert various linux formats. Take a look at the manual (man alien) to see its usage and limitations.

I used it to convert a printer driver from RPM to DEB and it did install successfully in my Debian/Etch setup.

here's a copy/paste snip from the alien manual...
DESCRIPTION
ALIEN is a program that converts between Red Hat rpm, Debian deb, Stampede slp, Slackware
tgz, and Solaris pkg file formats. If you want to use a package from another linux distri‐
bution than the one you have installed on your system, you can use alien to convert it to
your preferred package format and install it. It also supports LSB package

ajdlinux

#5 Post by ajdlinux »

This will be hard - probably too hard. There are enough tools in Debian as is - even with alien harddrake will probably not install.