Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No Sound

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
twiggymoo

No Sound

#1 Post by twiggymoo »

I've been trying to get sound from the CD player and configuring with alsaconf. I get this message:
Running update-modules...
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/updates/alsa/snd-pda udiocf.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/updates/alsa/snd-vx- cs.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/updates/alsa/snd-vxp 440.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/updates/alsa/snd-vxp ocket.o
Loading driver...
Setting default volumes...

Then it says "have a lot fun".
but it still doesn't work.

What's this mean??

Twiggymoo

Light_Tech

Sound

#2 Post by Light_Tech »

I have a couple questions for you to help me understand your question.
1. Are you able to listen to other forms of audio over the sound device (ie. mp3, midi, ra, wav, etc.) ?
2. Is your CD-ROM drive of an ATAPI (IDE/EIDE/SIDE) , SCSI or Other (ie. only supported by the connector(s) on your sound device?

Other questions of intrest could be ...
A. What interface type dose your sound device use (ie. PCI, ISA, EISA, etc.)?
B. Can the drive mount other file systems? (ie. standard type ISO) In other words; Is it usable?
C. Are you trying for a Didigital or an Analog type of use? Didigital is typicaly the defacto std. these days however if you happen to be using a 2.4.x kernel or older it is likely you will have to set it up to use analog instead.

cyb.nix

#3 Post by cyb.nix »

"Support your community so your community will be there to support you."

Cool!

twiggymoo

Questions...

#4 Post by twiggymoo »

I have a couple questions for you to help me understand your question.
1. Are you able to listen to other forms of audio over the sound device (ie. mp3, midi, ra, wav, etc.) ?
2. Is your CD-ROM drive of an ATAPI (IDE/EIDE/SIDE) , SCSI or Other (ie. only supported by the connector(s) on your sound device?

Other questions of intrest could be ...
A. What interface type dose your sound device use (ie. PCI, ISA, EISA, etc.)?
B. Can the drive mount other file systems? (ie. standard type ISO) In other words; Is it usable?
C. Are you trying for a Didigital or an Analog type of use? Didigital is typicaly the defacto std. these days however if you happen to be using a 2.4.x kernel or older it is likely you will have to set it up to use analog instead.

Light_tech,
I don't have these answers. How can I know this? Yes, I'm a real noob! Maybe 2.6 kernel could resolve this but with dial up I can't download a .deb, already packaged kernel. I did try to manually configure from a download of a .bz2 file but got nowhere.

Regards,
Twiggymoo