Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

After unsuccesfull upgrade/restart the system is locked

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
miro_ilias

After unsuccesfull upgrade/restart the system is locked

#1 Post by miro_ilias »

Dear all,

I wanted to do (today) the upgrade of my Debian Sid. During upgrade (with Synaptic) I got crash with remark that I have to finish packages installation properly with :"dpkg --configure -a".

After the restart (as the root) in the text mode, however, I found that the entire system is read-only and completely locked (for root).

The /etc/fstab file contains "defaults,errors=remount-ro" for /dev/sda1, I can not change it in read-only mode. When I discarded "errors" in fstab through CD live, it did not help.

The mesage from dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system

Any help is appreciated. Miro

smallchange

Re: After unsuccesfull upgrade/restart the system is locked

#2 Post by smallchange »

Restore fstab to the way it was. After you login as root run

Code: Select all

mount -o remount /dev/sda1
It will remount in read-write mode. If your hard disc is failing it will immediately remount it in read-only mode. Look in /var/log/syslog to see if there are disc hardware errors being reported.

miro_ilias

#3 Post by miro_ilias »

smallchange wrote:Restore fstab to the way it was. After you login as root run

Code: Select all

mount -o remount /dev/sda1
It will remount in read-write mode. If your hard disc is failing it will immediately remount it in read-only mode. Look in /var/log/syslog to see if there are disc hardware errors being reported.
Excellent ! It worked ! Using Debian Live CD I restored fstab, then I removed CD, did reboot and "mount -o remount ..." restored the partition.

Afterwards "dpkg --configure -a" did further jov of restoration of broken packages.

Many thanks.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#4 Post by mzilikazi »

For future reference, never use Synaptic to do an upgrade. Use the command line instead.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G