Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Create extended partition during install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
fsmithred

[SOLVED] Create extended partition during install

#1 Post by fsmithred »

Yesterday, I was on the phone, helping a friend install lenny on a new laptop. We used the Vista partition tool to shrink the windows partition, leaving free space between the win and the recovery partitions. Booted the install cd, and I had him go into manual partitioning. We were going to make a primary for / and an extended for /home and swap, but we couldn't figure out how to create the extended partition. I even booted up an install cd on one of my computers, and I couldn't find it. He was burning out, so I walked him through creating / and swap, both primaries, and the install proceeded without problems. But I still want to know - how do you create an extended partition with the debian installer? (Note: if I'd been there with my friend, or if he hadn't burned out, we could have booted a live cd and used cfdisk, but that didn't happen.)
Last edited by fsmithred on 2009-10-30 23:14, edited 2 times in total.

smallchange

Re: Create extended partition during install

#2 Post by smallchange »

IIRC you create a logical partition and the installer creates an extended partition to contain the logical partition.

emariz

#3 Post by emariz »

Another option is that the Windows partitions are within an extended partition and because there can only have one per device, the installer doesn't show it as an option.

fsmithred

#4 Post by fsmithred »

Trying to create a logical partition didn't work, but I don't recall what kind of error message he got. I think I'll try that myself when I get home from work. Win partitions were marked as primaries. I really expected "extended" to be listed under "Use As" along with ext2, ext3, and the rest.

fsmithred

#5 Post by fsmithred »

Thanks, smallchange. You were right. Select logical partition instead of primary, and it automatically makes the extended partition. The reason I didn't think that was the case was because of a communication problem between my friend and me. I foolishly accepted "It didn't work." as a valid response.