Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WINDOWS IN DEBIAN

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
_FOCUS_

WINDOWS IN DEBIAN

#1 Post by _FOCUS_ »

can we run windows os in debian
we can it in red hat l know with vmware l had not try it in red hat
but l wanted to try in debian but l cant find vmware

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

wmware is available at http://www.vmware.com/
Note that vmware is a commercial program, so you have to pay fror it in order to use.

_FOCUS_

#3 Post by _FOCUS_ »

but l had got a red hat os cd s and with it a cd more contents some extra linux programs vmware in it in type of tar.gz l cant extract it and l cant install

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

You can install vmware by extracting it with this command:

Code: Select all

tar xvfz vmware.tar.gz
After this, you need to run the "vmware-install.pl" int the vmware-distrib directory:

Code: Select all

vmware-distrib/vmware-install.pl
You need the kernel headers in order to install vmware, since it wants to compile some kernel modules.

_FOCUS_

#5 Post by _FOCUS_ »

thaks

muskrat

#6 Post by muskrat »

There is also a program that converts/builds a .deb form a tar.gz file I forget the name of it right now.

The problem with installing directly from source is it's not in the systems data base after you install, it could (mind I said could not would) cuase problems at a later date for updates and system maintance.

If you make it a .deb and install with apt then the system knows it's there.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

CuCullin

#7 Post by CuCullin »

Also take a look at Parallels, http://www.parallels.com/

With later processors having certain functionality, Zen should also be capable of running Windows simultaneously alongside Linux. However, this is not available just yet.

debiandude

#8 Post by debiandude »

I also use Parallels Workstation for this. It works great for me, only costs 49 bucks.

gruven

#9 Post by gruven »

You can also use qemu. It is in the debian repositories. There is also an article about it this month in Linux Journal, and it is very worth checking out.

debiandude

#10 Post by debiandude »

how well have people been able to run debian w/ parallels? it's been working fine for me, but I've read that certain linux distros aren't running well on it, such as gentoo...

a0wc39

parallels

#11 Post by a0wc39 »

I've tried running under etch and get a can't access shared library fault. I guess I'll install sarge on a spare drive and give it a try. vmware was very frustrating on non-supported os's.

Solved this. All I had to do was read prerequisites.
Tomorrow I install either 2000/2003/xp.

SpEcIeS

#12 Post by SpEcIeS »

As stated above.. QEMU and it is FREE. The latest version 0.8.2 with kqemu 1.3.0pre9 works really well, however I have never had the pleasures of running vmware. Cannot afford such luxuries. :)

Open Source Gotta Love It :D

ajdlinux

#13 Post by ajdlinux »

muskrat wrote:There is also a program that converts/builds a .deb form a tar.gz file I forget the name of it right now.
alien
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

newmarket

#14 Post by newmarket »

I use qemu and found it far easier (still tricky) to get the network running than VMWare. However, once I had it running I can run any emulation with no problem.

innodonni

#15 Post by innodonni »

It might be worth pointing out that at this stage the kqemu accelerator is not free, but merely available to download and use. However an alternative is available. It is called qvm86, and is available from Savannah under the GNU GPL version 2.
I might also add that there is no such thing as a tar.gz to deb converter. There is only alien, which converts Slackware tgz files, LSB compliant rpm files and Solaris slp files as best it can.
There is however a program called checkinstall that can allow you to monitor the files created by a command such as "make install" or "./vmware-install.sh" and create a deb file that can be removed, thus removing all the files created by the command. However this isn't quite the same, as it will not track file modifications as far as I know, nor place files in the correct directories (unless perhaps run with PREFIX specified), and I don't think it will handle dependencies either. It is however useful if you want to keep track of the files installed by an arbitrary command without having to hunt for them in /usr/local.

newarrow

#16 Post by newarrow »

I worked with vmware always before, untill i bought new machine with amd64 support and installed Debian amd64. vmware does not support amd64, so i had to search for another virtual machine. QEMU was the best from all i found. And now i find it much better than vmware. It's a pity kqemu not exists in debian, so i had to compile and install t manually, cos without kqemu qemu is very bad (i think debian must have it, qemu is useless without it). I was thinking about install xen, but speed i get with qemu is so fine that i changed my mind.
I hate to boot into X

muskrat

#17 Post by muskrat »

I might also add that there is no such thing as a tar.gz to deb converter. There is only alien, which converts Slackware tgz files, LSB compliant rpm files and Solaris slp files as best it can.
I stand corrected, alien was the program I was speaking of, I just never used it so was unfamuler with it's limitations, Just speaking from a thought I had when I saw it in passing.

But I believe I'll checkout that checkinstall.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

_FOCUS_

#18 Post by _FOCUS_ »

I had a wrong decision and took Leadtek graphic card. After I tried long time to run x . at end I could success to run it. But now I can't run tvtime kdetv etc.
When I try to configure kde file it gives me x server couldn't find message.
in the other hand my new downloaded vmware give message like that " version.h file and your kernel doesn't match.
I am using deb in my home and I haven't internet. What do you suggest me?
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.