Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thread locking. Moderation UF style has arrived.

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
julian67

Thread locking. Moderation UF style has arrived.

#1 Post by julian67 »

I can't reply to a post addressed to me because the person who addressed me also locked it. So here it is:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47035

Subject: How come your moderators are flame meisters
Absent Minded wrote:
julian67 wrote:I'd forgotten how awful everyone here is (except the really super friendly people who are better than the rest of us).
I think this thread has gotten far enough off topic. There is no need to add insult to injury here. It looks like this thread is solved anyway.

@ julian67... There is no need to let your displeasure with one thread on this forum ooze over into all the other topics you are replying to. May I suggest that if you are having that much trouble with something that you create a thread in General Discussion or off topic to air out you problem? I would hope this was an attempt at some form of humor and I have just missed it.

AM
First off: Yes It was a (very possibly not funny) attempt at some form of humour and you just missed it ;-) Almost every post in the thread (not just my ones) was a joke.

Nobody had posted to that thread in 18 hours! And it needed locking? It had already died a natural death.

May I make a suggestion? It's that when someone engages in a vigorous debate, or expresses opinions that differ from your own, that you don't understand or characterise that as displeasure? It isn't.

I read through the "beginner" thread from start to finish a few hours ago and I don't see why it would annoy you. If you invite a debate you get a debate. If people expressing different and opposing opinions is a problem I'm not sure that asking for feedback is wise.

I find it disturbing that you went to a thread that had been untouched for 18 hours, expressed your displeasure with me and then locked the thread. Lighten up, it was just a string of silly jokes. In an earlier post in the same thread I wrote
p.s. am I risking an infraction by not adding a smiley?
but I had intended that as a joke as well, not a prediction.....

Debian User Forums != Ubuntu Forums :wink:

Is this really how things are going to be here now?

edit: actually I am genuinely annoyed with you saying
There is no need to let your displeasure with one thread on this forum ooze over into all the other topics you are replying to.
Please go and read all the posts I've made in various threads and then tell me that your characterisation is reasonable. http://forums.debian.net/search.php?aut ... 7&sr=posts

That's a really crappy thing to say. It's unpleasant and untrue. It suggests that you have a personal difficulty with me that you can't put aside. If a regular member said it I'd be mildly annoyed but a moderator coming up with this kind of pejorative personal remark is unimpressive.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

Re: Thread locking. Moderation UF style has arrived.

#2 Post by Mez »

I agree with the locking of the thread, the discussion had gone way off topic, and was no longer relevant. I would have locked it myself, had I seen it.

"18 hours" is not a long time when you think about it really. These forums have been here for a long time, and anyone, at any point, can dredge up an old post and reply to it.

I cannot, however, comment on AM's comment, as I don't have enough information to have a coherent point of view on your posts :)

Absent Minded

#3 Post by Absent Minded »

julian67 I did not intend any disrespect and I apologize that I took your meaning incorrectly. I do not have any thing personal against you and in fact I appriciate what you bring to the forum.

Michael
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

julian67

#4 Post by julian67 »

Absent Minded wrote:julian67 I did not intend any disrespect and I apologize that I took your meaning incorrectly. I do not have any thing personal against you and in fact I appriciate what you bring to the forum.

Michael
OK, a misunderstanding over a turn of phrase. Apology accepted and thank you for your reply.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Mez

#5 Post by Mez »

*ponders locking this thread now it's dealt with*

:P

higgins

#6 Post by higgins »

julian67 wrote: I find it disturbing that you went to a thread that had been untouched for 18 hours, expressed your displeasure with me and then locked the thread.
I find it even more disturbing that the response was then conveniently replaced with an edit.
Absent Minded wrote: Edit: I have edited out a misunderstanding on my part.
AM

Absent Minded

#7 Post by Absent Minded »

higgins wrote:
julian67 wrote: I find it disturbing that you went to a thread that had been untouched for 18 hours, expressed your displeasure with me and then locked the thread.
I find it even more disturbing that the response was then conveniently replaced with an edit.
Absent Minded wrote: Edit: I have edited out a misunderstanding on my part.
AM
The post was already quoted here. Why do you find it more disturbing that I would do what I could to correct a mistake?
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

higgins

#8 Post by higgins »

I just find it annoying when someone makes a post, then later removes what was written in an edit. There are a few people on this board who are notorious for that. People can't take back what they say, I don't think they should take back what they write either. If a mistake is made, simply make another reply to rectify the situation. Just my opinion.

craigevil

#9 Post by craigevil »

Enough bitching already, if you have a problem with a mod please take it up in a pm.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Mez

#10 Post by Mez »

Complaints regarding moderator behaviour, or regarding any member of the team's conduct should be directed, via email, to

admin@forums.debian.net