Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HTML in posts?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
mdevour

HTML in posts?

#1 Post by mdevour »

I'm curious... In phpBB, is it possible to enable HTML in messages on a per user basis, if not globally?

The reason I'm asking is it would allow us to make posts with internal navigation, such as a Table of Contents at the beginning. This might lessen the need for a wiki. :wink:

Mike D.

penpen

Re: HTML in posts?

#2 Post by penpen »

I don't know if this is possible, but if you got creative with your threadmaking, you could achieve something similar using only the features already available in the forum. For example,
  • Create a thread
    Reply to the thread five times
    Edit the first post so that it contains the TOC, linking to the posts below it
    Edit the remaining five posts as necessary with the content in each part listed in the TOC
It'd probably be a little harder to work with than straight HTML, and definitely some prior planning, but it's doable.

Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

#3 Post by Mez »

It probably is possible, though unlikely to be allowed.

mdevour

#4 Post by mdevour »

Mez wrote:It probably is possible, though unlikely to be allowed.
I don't think "allowed" would be an issue; it needn't be global... I'm thinking more of a feature that could be requested by those who have a purpose for it, such as an effort I'm helping/dabbling with to do some user guide/how-to type of things that would be improved by some simple internal navigation within a post. It could be a privilege of a usergroup that the admins could assign people to, possibly restricted to certain subforums (e.g., how-to).

Mike D.

Telemachus

#5 Post by Telemachus »

mdevour wrote:
Mez wrote:It probably is possible, though unlikely to be allowed.
I don't think "allowed" would be an issue; it needn't be global...
I think that Mez was answering your request by saying, "It's possible, but we're not likely to do it." So, yeah, I think that "allowed" is an issue. (Note: I'm just guessing, but that's what Mez's answer suggests to me. I could be wrong...)
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

refracta

#6 Post by refracta »

...if a post is large enough to need navigation then I would think splitting it into multiple posts would be a feasible solution and then you can simply provide navigation links to the appropriate post/section, no html needed...

jheaton5

#7 Post by jheaton5 »

What tags are needed that are not provided in bbcode?
debian sid

mdevour

#8 Post by mdevour »

jheaton5 wrote:What tags are needed that are not provided in bbcode?
Anchors, so you could post a link to a location within the post? That's mostly what I was thinking of. Just navigation at a lower level than posts, threads, sub-forums.

Anyway, with respect to my answer to Mez, I want to be sure he and any of the other admins considering my suggestion understand what I'm thinking of.

As Telemachus notes, the job can be done, in a fashion, by making multiple posts, but to keep something like that uncluttered and orderly, you'd still have to sticky and lock the thread(s) and give permissions to its maintainers, i.e., you're still creating a special user group and permissions and assigning people to it. I'm thinking enabling HTML for a specific user group within a specific sub-forum might provide another tool for the building of FAQ or '<whatever> guide' type of things.

Peace,

Mike D.

mdevour

Re: HTML in posts? Or custom BBCode?

#9 Post by mdevour »

I've been doing some digging tonight, and I found exactly what it is I'm looking for. We don't need to enable HTML after all.

It turns out it is possible to do internal navigation and Table of Contents structures within posts using [anchor] and [goto] BBCode tags. An excellent example is the following post at the phpBB support forum:

Custom BBCodes

The setup and method is explained in this thread:

BBCode Anchor

So, depending on how it's configured, we should be able to create an anchor with...

Code: Select all

[anchor="myanchorname"]Visible heading text[/anchor]
...and something like this should produce a visible link to it:

Code: Select all

[goto="myanchorname"]Visible link to my anchor[/goto]
If this can be added to the board configuration and enabled either by user group or forum or both, it would let us build some really nice user guides.

I hope that's feasible.

Mike D.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#10 Post by oswaldkelso »

It would be very handy to have the suggested BBCode tags for the beginners guide It's growing and looks likely to continue to do so, for a while yet. To be able to offer clear a TOC, with separation of sections, appropriate to groups would be very handy. GNU/Linux newbies need different information to the "Refugees" from other distros. To be able to offer a quick way in to the correct section would be a real bonus.

I'd thought about linking to separate posts, but as different topics may grow depending on what people may submit. Editing these to be in keeping with the overall data would become increasingly difficult. At present any major update have been offered to the forum for review before being updated. This would be nigh impossible for edits on 20 separate posts.

Also the as data changes with Debian updates, many separate posts could become dated. The idea is to keep data relevant to stable. Reduce duplication were possible, and keep it in one manageable place.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

jheaton5

#11 Post by jheaton5 »

Have you thought about putting it all in a wiki and providing one link on the board to the wiki?
debian sid

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#12 Post by oswaldkelso »

jheaton5 wrote:Have you thought about putting it all in a wiki and providing one link on the board to the wiki?
No not really. It was intentionally created for this forum. It could be done but not by me :? I'm not really wiki person and the very simple system that's in place seems to be working well. It's just, as the blank topic sections in the additional information gets filled up, or new ones submitted I can see it getting a rather long scroll.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Rolling Stone

#13 Post by Rolling Stone »

mdevour wrote:
jheaton5 wrote:What tags are needed that are not provided in bbcode?
Anchors.
This thread continues here BBCode Anchor and Goto tags....