Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VMware installation error

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bafman

VMware installation error

#1 Post by bafman »

Hello
I am trying to install the VMware server 2.0 in a Debian Lenny sid machine. I found this tutorials that seems good tutorials
http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_v ... rver_howto
http://failserver.nl/blog/?p=11

After browsing the search files in the forum for VMware installations i decided to post the problem i have.

After following all the instructions from the first weblink i came to the point that i have to download with wget the URL from VMware. I am typing the URL correct as i copy it from the VMware website after login. the URL is

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/p/acti ... 386.tar.gz

It comes out that i have this error.
ERROR: canot verify http://www.vmware.coms certificate,issued by /C=US/O=Akmai technologies Inc/CN=Akmai Subordinate CA3`:
Unable to locally verify the issuers authority.
To connect to http://www.vmware.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate`
Unable to establish SSL connection

I tried many times but the same error. I disable the firewall of my router as well but again the same results.

Then find out that i had to upgrade the cerificates in my machine so i
apt-get install ca-certificates
After done i typed again the URL as above.
Now it connects to the server and downloads only a flie called index.php which is a text file. I do not know where i am doing wrong.

I proceed and dowload the tar.gz file transfered it to my USB and mount it in the Debian machine. Created a directory and uncopressed it there with tar xvfz but had many errors and found no ./vmware-install.pl to compile

Later i tried to connect from a windows xp as per the second web link using the psftp.exe. I can not connect to the Debian machine as root. Is there any other way to connect to windows XP machine from the Debian terminal (as root) and transfer the file tar.gz so to proceed with the installation??

I manged to start the installation by updating the gcc
with apt-get install gcc-4.1
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1

I left my errors in this post if in case any other user may have the same problems.

Ok now i have this problem and i can not find a way to overpass it. At a point of the installation it is asking this
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-486/build/include]<-- /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/build/include
My installation shows What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]<-- When i press enter it shows my again the same.
I am trying to comment /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/build/include but i does not move asking the same as above. I Aborted and checked the gcc again. I have the gcc4.3.

I am trying to have the Debian lenny as hosted OS and windows XP as host OS.Is it possible both of he OS to work in the same machine with VMware??

Thank you very much

drl

Re: VMware installation error

#2 Post by drl »

Hi.

If you click -- not use wget -- on that link, you will probably be presented with a form that the VMWare folks want you to fill out. My recollection is that they want some information from you and also to give you the installation keys. After all that, you will be directed to the real download area. That's what I recall doing.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
["Sure, I can help you with that." -- USBank voice recognition system.
( Mn, 2.6.x, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 3 GB, SATA + IDE, NV34 )
Debian Wiki | Packages | Backports | Netinstall

bafman

#3 Post by bafman »

Hello Drl and hank you for your post.
I am working from the terminal and i do not have X-windows installed that is why i can not click anywhere.
The problem arise from that the VMware can not find the linux C headers

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

Also i am trying apt-get install gcc-4.1 but i get the error E: Couldn`t find package 4.1
I have installed 4.3.2 gcc version so i have to downgrade the gcc. The VMware installation is asking for the gcc 4.1 because the kernel is built in this gcc. Recomended is to abord the installation but if i proceed it comes to the problem that can not find linux headers.

I hope somebody can help the situation.
Thank you very muhh

drl

#4 Post by drl »

Hi.

I install the headers with:

Code: Select all

apt-get install linux-headers-$( uname -r )
some other items may also be installed, kbuild, etc.

The command that works for me to install gcc-4.1:

apt-get install gcc-4.1
for Debian:

OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 
Best wishes ... cheers, drl
["Sure, I can help you with that." -- USBank voice recognition system.
( Mn, 2.6.x, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 3 GB, SATA + IDE, NV34 )
Debian Wiki | Packages | Backports | Netinstall

bafman

#5 Post by bafman »

Hello
At the end i deleted the file gcc 4.2.3. Later i installed the gcc 4.1 and run the vmware
At a point the vmware could not find the gcc and i typed the file where the gcc 4.1 was. It worked and the vmware is installed.
I can get into the vmware from other pc by https://<ip>:8333
The new problem is when i try to run the vmware from the Debian machine as root i get this error
Failed to launch VMware Web Access: Unable to find a graphical web browser.
The browser should be there and working since VMware uses its own browser or i am wrong.
I may messed up the installation of the VMware.
If i use startx i get white and grey stipes on my screen with an X mark (mouse).

Anyone with the same problem :)

Thank you very much

fsmithred

#6 Post by fsmithred »

bafman wrote: Ok now i have this problem and i can not find a way to overpass it. At a point of the installation it is asking this
kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-486/build/include]<-- /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/build/include
My installation shows What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]<-- When i press enter it shows my again the same.
I am trying to comment /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/build/include but i does not move asking the same as above. I Aborted and checked the gcc again. I have the gcc4.3.

Whenever I get to this point in the installation, the installer always picks the right directory automatically. I've always assumed that it checks the running kernel, and bases its guess on that. What kernel are you running? Those look like versions for sarge and etch. Check the output of

uname -r
It should be 2.6.26-something if you're running lenny. I suspect that vmware 2.x won't work with the older kernels. (I know that vmware 1.x won't work with newer kernels.)

bafman

#7 Post by bafman »

Hi fsmithred and thank you for your post
uname -r shows
2.6.26-2-686
Before the installation of the VMware i installed
apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` libx11-6 libx11-dev x-window-system-core x-window-system xspecs libxtst6 psmisc build-essential
Maybe here is my mistake because this upgrades are for Debian Etch or i am wrong.
If this is the mistake how can i fix it??
I might installed the wrong Linux headers?? :?:

Thanks
Last edited by bafman on 2009-12-05 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Pick2

#8 Post by Pick2 »

You need the headers specific to the kernel you are running.

bafman

#9 Post by bafman »

Hello Pick2 and thank you as well
Sorry i am still a newbeeeeeee

Where can i find the specific headers for my Kernel?

Thank you

Pick2

#10 Post by Pick2 »

I've never compiled , but as drl pointed out , if you copy and paste this into a terminal , it will get the proper headers:

apt-get install linux-headers-$( uname -r )
Welcome 8)

fsmithred

#11 Post by fsmithred »

For some reason, I didn't see the message you posted right before my previous message. If you can access vmware from a remote machine, then it's obviously running, and the kernel headers aren't a problem. You need to get a graphical environment running, and it sounds like you need to install a desktop environment or at least a window manager. You'll also need a web browser. VMware 2.0 doesn't have a free-running management console like 1.x did.

bafman

#12 Post by bafman »

Hello fsmithred and thank you for your post
Do you have something in mind like what window manager or a desktop environment. XFCE is compatible as desktop environment. The machine i am working on is a game server and has some settings. The last time i installed the xorg on the pc almost all of the setting were not functionable. Good for me that i ghosted the HDD so now i am thinking for a light window manager that will not effect the OS.

My second question is if it is possible to install windows XP have both Debian and Win XP working and swith OS like Linux as gest and Win as host OS. I am not sure if it possible with VMware.

Thank you very much

Absent Minded

#13 Post by Absent Minded »

I don't mean any offence but why would you want to install the stable OS in a VM and run it from the OS that is proned to crashing and freezing?
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

bafman

#14 Post by bafman »

Hi Absent Minded and thanks for your post
No offence at all. I do not indent to select Win as host OS permanently. It was just a question to figure out if it is possible from the VMware software to switch OS and if both softwares can run at the same time in one machine.
At least this is what i read so far.

Thank you very much

Absent Minded

#15 Post by Absent Minded »

It is possible with several VMs. you might try out Virtual Box as there is a free version.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

fsmithred

#16 Post by fsmithred »

VMware provides separate packages for linux and windows host OS. For windows host, you'd have to download the right package and install it on windows. I don't know if you could use the same virtual machines from both hosts (like if you had dual boot windows/linux and had vmware installed on both with the vms on a separate partition for use by both.)

XFCE is a good choice. Even lighter choices are LXDE, Fluxbox, or IceWM. When you go to run the management console, I think you should be doing it as the user who has permission to manage vmware, rather than as root.