Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sources list not working

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
dvdljns

sources list not working

#1 Post by dvdljns »

I can not get anything using the default sources list. I can get on the web. download stuff but synaptic can not reach any of the mirrors. I do not have a dvd player and it would take for ever to download all the debian cd. anybody have any ideals. I want to build a lfs system on this comp but need access to the repos.

Pick2

Re: sources list not working

#2 Post by Pick2 »

Could you post your sources list so we can see what is wrong ?

jheaton5

#3 Post by jheaton5 »

Also, what kind of web connection do you have? Dialup, DSL, Broadband.
debian sid

dvdljns

#4 Post by dvdljns »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes I will post my sources list but I am pretty sure that not the problem. I have got a pretty strange connection here. I share a roadrunner conection with someone else and only get assigned one ip address that I have to go through a linksys router to get to. What I did is setup a win2kpro machine and downloaded windows dhcp server here.http://www.windowsdhcpserver.com/and freepoxy server here. http://www.handcraftedsoftware.org/.
then I setup a netgear router on my side and turned off all the security I could and connected to that. but I did not setup anytype of username or password. When I installed debian a part of the setup was to use a proxy but it wanted username:password ip# port #. So I had to skip that part. and I really believe that is where my problem lies, but not sure what to do to fix it. I also can not get acces to the linksys. router and when I ask the other guy all he will say is I am connecting to him just fine so any problems I have must be here. It limits my ability to troubleshoot upstream of my connection but ubuntu and a couple other types of linux connects and downloads updates just fine. I may have to setup some type of anonamous username and password for free proxy. But since everything else works I am betting it has to do with the proxy setup. Do you know which disk I need to get all the dev. programs to give this machine the ability to build a lfs system. I have 1 through 3. but this machine is not fast enough to download all of them.

rweaver

#5 Post by rweaver »

Sounds like you may have a proxy configuration issue-- either not setup that should be or setup that shouldn't, potentially in addition to a problem with your sources.list file. You might also try flushing your iptables prior to update to ensure you're not being blocked there.
Pantek, Inc. - http://www.pantek.com/ - info@pantek.com
+1-877-LINUX-FIX - Expert Open Source Technical Support

llivv

#6 Post by llivv »

your getting way more complex than you need to.
you don't need a proxy at all
you don't need a dhcp server either the linksys router wll do that for you.
My advice is to remove your proxy and dhcp server packages
make sure you keep a dhcp-client such as dhcp3-client,
push and hold the reset button for 10 seconds, on your linksys router
reboot your computer
after logging into your user account
open an xTerm assuming you are logged into the desktop and

Code: Select all

sudo ifconfig eth0
if you have an ip address already
test your internet connection by opening your browser and going to
http://debian.org
if eth0 hasn't gottne an ip address yet

sudo dhclient
than test with your browser again

if you still don't get an internet connection there are a few other things you may have to test
Your routers connection status is one
your networking configuration is the other

if you need more help ask OK
if you don't have sudo setup and your not sure how to use su instead

~$ su
~$ roots-password
~# now you can run commands as root
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

ComputerBob

#7 Post by ComputerBob »

llivv wrote:...if you don't have sudo setup and your not sure how to use su instead

~$ su
~$ roots-password
~# now you can run commands as root
Just to make it clear, when you start your terminal session, you will see a "$" prompt that indicates that you have normal user permissions. At that "$" prompt, you will enter the command "su" (without the quotes); then you will enter whatever your root password is (not the words "roots-password" shown above); then the prompt will change from a "$" to a "#" to indicate that you have root permissions instead of user permissions; then you can enter whatever commands that you want to run with root permissions.

And when you're done entering those commands with root permissions, you can enter the command "exit" (without the quotes) to go back to the "$" prompt with normal user permissions, and then enter the command "exit" again (without the quotes) to quit your terminal session.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

dvdljns

#8 Post by dvdljns »

You are wrong. First off you are making assumptions with out info. I do not have access to the linksys router. second thing is I tried for over a month to get a good connection with linux and the best connection I got is 2mb. Since all my windows comps got a good fast connection I connected with a windows win2k machine and threw on a simple dhcp and proxy server.

dvdljns

#9 Post by dvdljns »

rweaver wrote:Sounds like you may have a proxy configuration issue-- either not setup that should be or setup that shouldn't. You might also try flushing your iptables prior to update to ensure you're not being blocked there.
I think so to. There is plenty info on the source list and I have read all of it I can find I am sure my list is right and current for 5.0.3 but some things are a little different in deb. For one thing all other distro's I loaded I could turn off the proxy config in the network control panel and let the browser handle the connection to the proxy but with deb if I do that I cannot connect. I need to know what route it is taking to the proxy. Whats happenning when it tries to connect. I am not that advanced yet but I am reading and working on it. The simple answer is learning how to set up a login name and password for my proxy but since it works 99.9% of time I am reluctent to mess with something that works. Also with the router inline between the comp and proxy I am not sure if adding a username and password will effect that. When I decided on deb I thought since ubuntu worked to do upgrades deb would too. I will flush the iptables and get back to you.

llivv

#10 Post by llivv »

dvdljns wrote:You are wrong. First off you are making assumptions with out info. I do not have access to the linksys router. second thing is I tried for over a month to get a good connection with linux and the best connection I got is 2mb. Since all my windows comps got a good fast connection I connected with a windows win2k machine and threw on a simple dhcp and proxy server.
OK I'm wrong
dvdljns wrote:I have got a pretty strange connection here. I share a roadrunner conection with someone else and only get assigned one ip address that I have to go through a linksys router to get to
huh? are you sure about that? I get the part about you sharing an ISP connection and your assigned 1 IP . But the part where you say you have to go through a linksys router to get to it? Care to elaborate? Doesn't the linksys router assign your IP? Is that what th3e guy with access to the Linksys router told you?
dvdljns wrote:What I did is setup a win2kpro machine and downloaded windows dhcp server here.http://www.windowsdhcpserver.com/and freepoxy server here. http://www.handcraftedsoftware.org/.
then I setup a netgear router on my side and turned off all the security I could and connected to that. but I did not setup anytype of username or password. When I installed debian a part of the setup was to use a proxy but it wanted username:password ip# port #. So I had to skip that part. and I really believe that is where my problem lies,
yep
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

dvdljns

#11 Post by dvdljns »

Here is the rest of the story. I build costum windows comps also when things are slow I troubleshoot windows computors. most of the time it adds up to cleaning the crap people get on surfing the web. I did some work for a neighber. Then when it came time for him to pay he said he was broke. but he told me that his rr account was prepaid for 2 years and I could connect through his wireless connection. I said okay. He assigned an ip address on his lynksys router. but he will only assign one ip and will not let me have access to the lynksys router. I know he has a linksys router and thats what I connect through. but the guy really has been sort of an asshole. after the first of the year I might have my connection hooked back up here. but even given that I would like to get this worked out if nothing else it will be a learning experience. All my win comps handle the connection without a hitch. But I am trying to learn linux and need to get this to work. and besides if windows does it linux should be able to. When I started this I intended to setup a linux machine and squid. But that did not work out.