Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Does Debian suitable for Engineering?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
flycloud162

Does Debian suitable for Engineering?

#1 Post by flycloud162 »

I have never used Debian before,I just wanna if it suitable for Engineering……

mdevour

Re: Does Debian suitable for Engineering?

#2 Post by mdevour »

flycloud162 wrote:I have never used Debian before,I just wanna if it suitable for Engineering……
Greetings flycloud!

The first obvious question is, what kind of engineering? What tasks?

What sort of things would make it suitable?

Just to give you a few generalities...

If there's a program in the universe of free, open source software for any particular task, it'll most likely be possible to run it on Debian as well as you can on any other Linux/Unix/BSD, etc... Not to mention there are quite a few commercial Linux products that Debian will run, many of which are leaders in their fields.

I've seen applications in the repositories for a variety of specialized engineering tasks in electronics and electrical, mechanical and chemical engineering... There are programs for computer aided drafting, design and machining, solids modeling, 3d rendering.

Debian does not, however, come already optimized for specialized applications. The stock kernel is generally set up for running servers. If you need to do fast data acquisition, for example, you might need to compile a custom kernel. It'd take some effort to configure a large multiprocessor array.

You might also look at the 120-some distributions that are based on Debian. One or more of them might already have been tweaked for whatever kind of engineering task you're contemplating.

So, a short answer to your question is, probably. You might need to do some tweaking. Debian is reliable and flexible enough to do just about anything.

Let us know more specifically what you're thinking of?

Be well!

Mike D.

flycloud162

Re: Does Debian suitable for Engineering?

#3 Post by flycloud162 »

I appriciate it very much that you have given such a detail reply.
I think I've got what I want.

:) :) :)

Flycloud Charlse