Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

loging in as root

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
socratease

loging in as root

#1 Post by socratease »

I need to login as root so that I can change the ip address to a static address. I have tried to use the network config but it says that i don't have root privliges. How can make changes so that I can login as root. This is My webserver replacement

Paulfocused

Re: loging in as root

#2 Post by Paulfocused »

socratease wrote:I need to login as root so that I can change the ip address to a static address. I have tried to use the network config but it says that i don't have root privliges. How can make changes so that I can login as root. This is My webserver replacement
You could install and setup sudo. I personally don't use it, but many do. There's a lot of info on how to use it.
I am root!!

aicardi

#3 Post by aicardi »

Try this in a terminal.
$gksu network-config
Jessie/Xfce

hazel

#4 Post by hazel »

Logging in as root is bad practice. You tend to stay logged in as root for some time and to do all kinds of things that shouldn't be done as root and can be dangerous.

Use gksu to become root, do what you have to do as root and can't do any other way, then exit and return to your own identity.

The sudo thing is useful for commands that you want to execute frequently as root (e.g. updating with synaptic). You give yourself permission in the /etc/sudoers file to execute that command with root permissions, then you can run it by giving your own password.

rweaver

#5 Post by rweaver »

You can type (as your user):

Code: Select all

su -
Input roots password and you'll be root when you're done type exit.
Pantek, Inc. - http://www.pantek.com/ - info@pantek.com
+1-877-LINUX-FIX - Expert Open Source Technical Support

cnoyes

#6 Post by cnoyes »

hazel wrote:You give yourself permission in the /etc/sudoers file to execute that command with root permissions, then you can run it by giving your own password.
This doesn't tell socratease how to actually add himself to the sudoers file. I answered this question in another post, so I'm going to just link to it.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47507 just scroll down to the bottom, it's a short thread. I don't imagine this solves your original issue though, as previously stated, gksu is the solution.
=================
chris@suxbox.org
Debian Sid
=================