Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
refracta

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

#21 Post by refracta »

Awww, come on...It is much more convenient for all that info to be in one place. That way the government only needs to deal with one company to manage my privacy and safety. It is so reassuring just thinking about it.

nadir

#22 Post by nadir »

somehow i got a vague sympathy for: promote decentralization. *
when google starts to organize funerals and weddings i will start to be seriously concerned... or do they do that allready?

* as an example i don`t use my ISP`s email-accounts, they don`t need to know or store that much bout me
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

julian67

#23 Post by julian67 »

refracta wrote:Awww, come on...It is much more convenient for all that info to be in one place. That way the government only needs to deal with one company to manage my privacy and safety. It is so reassuring just thinking about it.
Intrusive government is only one concern. Google isn't a charity, it collects the data in order to profit from it. Some of the publicly available software is free and/or for-free software because it makes sense to offer free to use apps and services while the real value is elsewhere. As non-paying consumers we don't have that much idea of what they can/might do with it, who else might benefit from it and so on, only some impossible to verify assurances and the mantra "Do No Evil". If all the data my ISP holds on me was leaked/sold to a marketing company or a criminal it would be a problem but not a disaster. They only have a partial picture of me online. They also supply my wired telephone but not my mobile phone. They don't supply my email service or my DNS, or any VOIP. But if I used a single company's DNS, mail, browser, search, office apps, storage, web gallery, payment systems, VOIP and mobile phone services then a single breach or inappropriate use of the data could reveal my whereabouts at any given time, movements, everyone I ever called, emailed, chatted to, every online shopping session (possibly even payment method and history), political affiliation, memberships of online communities, offline societies etc etc.

Also I tried the Google browser and it doesn't compare well with Iceweasel or even Midori. As far as I can tell it exists only in order to become the key part of the Google OS, and on other platforms to promote Google apps. As I don't intend to use Google's OS and I don't need their apps beyond a pop3 mail service then I'm much better off using a more capable browser.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

debil

#24 Post by debil »

Tried it out for 15 minutes or so. It looks nice and seems to work OK but without Vimperator it's a no go for me.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

refracta

#25 Post by refracta »

julian67 wrote: Google isn't a charity, it collects the data in order to profit from it.
Very true...that is how they offer me those great deals on the things I search for. It is a wonderful service. I think we should surrender all our privacy to a company and let them manage our life for us. It would be so much easier and so wonderful to have something that practically reads our minds and responds with exactly what we want. Like in that movie where the guy walks thru the mall and the displays talk to him by name. How cool would it be to go to the mall, after searching online for cashmere sweater, and as soon as we walk in the first display is automatically changed to show some cashmere sweaters and it actually speaks to us by name and lets us know that our size is in stock and that our bank balance is sufficient for the purchase and we would look lovely in the blue and grey sweater. Simply awesome. Never having to think about anything, plan anything, find things ourselves, or even worry about anything... awesome... We will be the most advanced species ever.

jheaton5

#26 Post by jheaton5 »

2010: A Space Odyssey. Is that you Hal?
debian sid

julian67

#27 Post by julian67 »

refracta wrote:
julian67 wrote: Google isn't a charity, it collects the data in order to profit from it.
Very true...that is how they offer me those great deals on the things I search for. It is a wonderful service. I think we should surrender all our privacy to a company and let them manage our life for us. It would be so much easier and so wonderful to have something that practically reads our minds and responds with exactly what we want. Like in that movie where the guy walks thru the mall and the displays talk to him by name. How cool would it be to go to the mall, after searching online for cashmere sweater, and as soon as we walk in the first display is automatically changed to show some cashmere sweaters and it actually speaks to us by name and lets us know that our size is in stock and that our bank balance is sufficient for the purchase and we would look lovely in the blue and grey sweater. Simply awesome. Never having to think about anything, plan anything, find things ourselves, or even worry about anything... awesome... We will be the most advanced species ever.
Long live Big Brother! Death to Goldstein!...err...Google...err....omg am so confused.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

jheaton5

#28 Post by jheaton5 »

julian67 wrote:Long live Big Brother!
Ah, 1984. I thought about using that as the source of my metaphor, but we have been past Big Brother for so long it just didn't seem appropriate. We are pas 2010 also. I was asked the other day "when would this all end?" My reply was "When the Rapture comes." :mrgreen:
debian sid

nadir

#29 Post by nadir »

jheaton5 wrote:
julian67 wrote:Long live Big Brother!
Ah, 1984. I thought about using that as the source of my metaphor, but we have been past Big Brother for so long it just didn't seem appropriate. We are pas 2010 also. I was asked the other day "when would this all end?" My reply was "When the Rapture comes." :mrgreen:
yes, we seem to be past Big Brother...governements and that... perhaps it`s merely like Umbrella Corporation?
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

refracta

#30 Post by refracta »

soylent green is people!

AdrianTM

#31 Post by AdrianTM »

refracta wrote:soylent green is people!
Look what you did, you ruined the move for me.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

mdevour

#32 Post by mdevour »

refracta wrote:...How cool would it be to go to the mall, after searching online for cashmere sweater, and as soon as we walk in the first display is automatically changed to show some cashmere sweaters and it actually speaks to us by name and lets us know that our size is in stock and that our bank balance is sufficient for the purchase and we would look lovely in the blue and grey sweater. Simply awesome.
Ahh, Minority Report. Unsettling movie, indeed. All hell breaks loose when you can't access the system any more. Give me a hand, please? Maybe an eye? :mrgreen:

Another interesting book to read in the context of this thread: The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. It's a novel with a strong feminist agenda, which will not be to some people's tastes, but along the way it offers a rather vivid rendering of the consequences of a completely "cashless society" as part of the setting for the plot.

Mike D.

Coco

#33 Post by Coco »

So will any version of google chrome be available from the debian repos? I really want to install chrome but I absolutely refuse to install anything outside the official repos (I'm on squeeze) ! :P
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

llivv

#34 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

craigevil

#35 Post by craigevil »

Coco wrote:So will any version of google chrome be available from the debian repos? I really want to install chrome but I absolutely refuse to install anything outside the official repos (I'm on squeeze) ! :P
probably never. So no Opera, Skype, or any packages from debian-multimedia.org?
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

sir fer

#36 Post by sir fer »

There's always SRWare Iron for those with privacy concerns. I'm using it now but it only seems to work OOTB in sid, but as stated sometime ago it could be pebcak on my part, but you can d/l Iron un-tar it and it runs in its own folder like firefox in debian.

I think it was **** Gregory who said that the movies show us 3 things...what "they" have done, what "they" are doing and what "they" plan to do. From this POV, the movies certainly make a lot more sense.

llivv

#37 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

AdrianTM

#38 Post by AdrianTM »

craigevil wrote:
Coco wrote:So will any version of google chrome be available from the debian repos? I really want to install chrome but I absolutely refuse to install anything outside the official repos (I'm on squeeze) ! :P
Never say never, most likely is not going to be Google Chrome, but there's probably nothing wrong with Chromium from Debian rules point of view. It's also ne special need people can install it from here: http://www.google.com/chrome
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

Coco

#39 Post by Coco »

craigevil wrote:
Coco wrote: So no Opera, Skype, or any packages from debian-multimedia.org?
Nope! I try to keep proprietary stuff out!
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#40 Post by oswaldkelso »

craigevil wrote:

Not strictly correct. While debian-multimedia does not respect the normal, main, contrib, and non-free rules. It's a 3rd party site. There is free software in there, you just have to be picky as to what you install. It contains many applications/libs with patent concerns that are specific to the USA where Debian is based, But are free software as far as the GNU 4 freedoms. That same software maybe perfectly legal in another country. Like Finland. Mplayer is a prime example of free software in debian-multimedia but with patent concerns in the USA.
Last edited by oswaldkelso on 2009-12-31 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian