Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SLOVED Need to know how to make custom cd of Debian!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
emiliec15

SLOVED Need to know how to make custom cd of Debian!

#1 Post by emiliec15 »

Hi,

I have been using Ubuntu for awhile, I've also used Puppy, Slax, Slackware, PCLOS, Mandriva, and a few others, however I want to dive into the vastness that is Debian. However before I do so I would like to know how to create an .iso of the OS I am installing. I've looked and I have found that I can use something like vmware to test the iso and then DEBOOTSTRAP to get it into the partition that I already have blank for it. However I have a few requirements for it that I don't know how to work with or get them in there AND I don't REALLY know how to use vmware even though I have read pages and pages covering it.

What I am looking for is a debian system WITH the following capabilities,

FAST at least relatively,
LIGHTER than xubuntu,
a light window manager (been thinking about Openbox)
Xscreensaver, (or other screensaver that can play movieclips)
some kind of menu listing the apps (visually)
Blender 2.49b (checkout blender.org)
fully functional Rosegarden (preferably)
OpenOffice Word, Calc
VLC with libdvdcss2 to read and play dvd's (open to suggestions)
Some cd/dvd burning application
mouse, cd, keyboard, bluetooth support,
and least of all some kind of sudoku game with sudoku generator (Highly optional)
AND LAST but not least able to be used by someone without linux/bash knowledge (not me) and must use current home partition.

Info about me I only know some bash... not enough to call myself fluent but I CAN be taught!!

EDIT: Forgot one important application (some browser [firefox perhaps]) and ndiswrapper with driver mrv8k51 (I have the cd to use the driver off of)
Last edited by emiliec15 on 2009-12-22 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Absent Minded

Re: Need to know how to make custom cd of Debian! Help Please!!

#2 Post by Absent Minded »

Debian runs faster than any of the distros you have mentioned on my little bitty 800Mhz PC straight out of the box so to speak. There is a good how-to on creating your own Debian disk in our How-To section. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

For some reading material I recommend you see these threads:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47258
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25752

Do you want a Live! disk or just an install CD/DVD?

Welcome to the Debian Users Forum.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

emiliec15

#3 Post by emiliec15 »

Thanks Absent Minded for the links to those pages I will go read them immediately after this post.

To answer your question, I don't really care if it is a livecd or an install cd as long as I don't have to reformat the partition (again.... I've done that enough).

I would prefer something stable and from what I've heard debian stable is definetely that!

I read about debootstrap and I was hoping to be able to use that to get debian where I need it.

Again, thanks

Absent Minded

#4 Post by Absent Minded »

You are welcome. I think you will find the third link most helpful in creating your CD image. The other 2 links are just good general information. The first one is what we expect that you have done already prior to asking for help. Not all but many of us here would like to see someone taking an active role in finding answers for them selves. The second link is a wonderful introduction to Debian Linux by one of our more talented writers here and I applaud his efforts as he did a great job at helping people understand the fundamentals of the Debian system. The third link will get you on your way to creating your own personalized Debian Live! CD.

AM
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

emiliec15

#5 Post by emiliec15 »

Ok, maybe I'm just rusty on my bash commands or perhaps I don't know as much as I thought but the third link seems helpful but I don't know how to do that on my current OS (ubuntu karmic.)

I'm sorry for seeming to be such a noob... :o

Absent Minded

#6 Post by Absent Minded »

Debian is the most stable system I have ever worked with and that includes a multitude of other OSs not just Linux. Wile I admit the learning curve is a bit steeper here I believe it to be well worth the extra reading. Even our testing branch is more stable ( my personal opinion) than most other Linux distributions I have used. I tend to use our testing branch on my main personal use computer and stable on my servers. I however have been so delighted with Lenny that I use it on my main box running KDE at only 800Mhz it is faster than any other distro I have used with out tweaking the daylights out of them. Our package management is second to none in my opinion and that is what inically sold me on Debian. Very rarely have I hit a brick wall trying to install something which is more than I can say for even RedHat Enterprise Linux or Mandriva/Mandrake to just name a couple of very popular ones. I have tried the *untu derivatives and they just aren't worth it to me to use as I find them very unstable when compared to Debian on my systems.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Absent Minded

#7 Post by Absent Minded »

can you be a little mosre specific, I haven't tried to do this myself but maybe I can still be of assistance here if you tell me what exactly you are having trouble with.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

emiliec15

#8 Post by emiliec15 »

There's just commands I've never seen before and I've never made a livecd before.

I'm afraid of thinking that it's complete and using debootstrap to install it and end up with a computer that I have to fix.

Which is the reason I'm wanting to move to debian because no distro that I've tried has managed to stable enough to handle my daily needs, And they can be demanding.... blender while playing music or a movie.... working on my third novel while doing both.... usually when doing that I don't have the internet open but I can't gaurantee that it doesn't happen.

I'm just a heavy-duty multi-tasker whose not afraid of learning but I can't have my computer crashing on me... For somethings there are deadlines and so that I can better meet those I am hoping to use debian! I'm tired of my computer ****ing out when I'm running firefox by itself AND not when it's multitasking...

Absent Minded

#9 Post by Absent Minded »

okay, I a trying to be clear here. For some of you programs you will need to get them from the Debian backports or to be safest compile them from the Debinazed source from upstream. I have not needed to do those things as my system is not needing to be cutting edge. It looks to me like you really just want to get a good stable Debian system running on your computer. If you would humor me and let me in on the secret of why you need the custom install cd I would appreciate it.

Do you have a separate home partition on your current Linux install?

AM
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

emiliec15

#10 Post by emiliec15 »

I believe I have a /home partition with my ubuntu installation.

Unless I am mistaken I haven't been able to find a LIGHT non-gnomey, non-kde, BASIC cd of debian. everything I've searched for with google always came back with some overblown monstrosity that I will never use 3/4 of the apps.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I will be truly grateful. Just a basic. lightweight installation of debian is what I'm looking for. Something that I can use with debootstrap preferably as I don't really have any blank cd-rs laying around the house.

Oh, and my jump drive went bad so I don't have one of them either. Couldn't save it no matter what I did. :(

Absent Minded

#11 Post by Absent Minded »

Yes, Debian does have ldxe I think is what it is called and it is a lite weight desktop environment but if you have a fast internet connection I recommend that you use the net install disk in expert mode to install as I do. I install just my base system no gui to begin with then I select just exactly what I want using aptitude to install the rest of my system
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

emiliec15

#12 Post by emiliec15 »

I thought that I'd read somewhere that most wireless cards aren't supported in netinst mode, therby meaning that I can't use that manner to install since I use a wireless card for my internet. Which is why I need to have ndiswrapper functional after installation. If I can use netinst that might be just the way for me to go but without wireless capabilities it is a no go.

Absent Minded

#13 Post by Absent Minded »

I know that a portion of our WiFi drivers are supported in our net install. If however that is going to be a problem I recommend the DVD set of 5 Disks if you have a DVD drive. likely you will only need the first 2 or 3 disks. regardless of what edia you use you can still do a minimal install and then pick and choose what you want after the install is over. the net install is only about 130MB and would be worth using a single disk to check it out. Let me look for the HCL for Debian for you. As you may need access to out non-free repository. To get your stuff working. If you are at a point that you could conciser using testing instead of stable I recommend using the Sid installer for Squeezy (testing). It will support the most hardware.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Absent Minded

#14 Post by Absent Minded »

Hello, this is what I found on WiFi I will just give oyu the link instead of typing it all.

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

emiliec15

#15 Post by emiliec15 »

Ok, I'll download that .iso and see what is in it. I know that I'll have to have ndiswrapper to get it going but if it's in the netinst I would be able to go from it which would make me VERY HAPPY. Bye, bye Ubuntu and good riddance. (Why it randomly drops connection to my keyboard and mouse I will never know)

Absent Minded

#16 Post by Absent Minded »

okay, I am back up and will be here for a litte while before I have to take off this morinng. How did the net install check out?
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

emiliec15

#17 Post by emiliec15 »

As stated in a pm to you I installed with the basic cd 1, I'd gotten it to boot the netinst off of an old and literally smoldering usb flash (no longer works) and didn't get anywher (not sure if ndiswrapper is a choice or not :() Oh well, I'vde installed cd1 and I actually LIKE what I see considering its gnome! however I still can't get ndiswrapper to work and I only have 1 cd left...

Absent Minded

#18 Post by Absent Minded »

did you check the package list for the CD-ROM's to see what is where. The packages are in order of most popular to least popular. Also you must have used the standard setup instead of the Expert install as you would have had a choice not to install a gui at that time.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

sir fer

#19 Post by sir fer »

hey emiliec, is there no chance of plugging you computer into a wired internet connection while doing the install? That way you could get all the wifi tools you need without needing them on the CDROM.

emiliec15

#20 Post by emiliec15 »

To Sir Fer, I'm sorry for the lack of changing this post to solved...

What I did was download with a livecd the first ten cd's and install the base system using the first cd. After that I rebooted and installed everything else that I needed using the isos. For a full understanding of what I SHOULD have done I have made a post (for those in a similar situation to mine) (I have tested my guide and made sure that it works.

Thanks for the help though..... (even if it was a little late, not your fault)