Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Startup weirdness

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
badmuthahubbard

Startup weirdness

#1 Post by badmuthahubbard »

Hi. I'm running AGNULA DeMudi 1.2.1, which is basically Debian.

When I start up, I get one instance of qjackctl and TWO instances of the Jack control panel. It's hard to tell, but it seems like one starts, then a few other things, then the other starts.

Also, this started at the same time, my screen res is defaulting to higher than I want. I did check the option for the higher res, but I want the next one down as default. I change it, mark "set as default," restart, and it's back to the higher res.

I posted both issues to the Desktop/Multimedia forum, but I guess they are more startup issues.

-Chuckk

bluesdog

#2 Post by bluesdog »

For the jack problem, perhaps some other application is loading jack during startup... perhaps one of the 'other things', or perhaps somehow there are duplicate entries in /etc/init.d

If you currently have jack auto-launching when you start your computer, try disabling that 'convenience'. You can edit what starts up on launch: Look at
man update-rc.d
The screen res problem is possibly most easily solved by re-running your xorg configuration. First, make a backup of your current xorg file:

Code: Select all

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bakup
then revisit the configuration

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

badmuthahubbard

#3 Post by badmuthahubbard »

bluesdog wrote:The screen res problem is possibly most easily solved by re-running your xorg configuration. First, make a backup of your current xorg file:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bakup
then revisit the configuration

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Hmm, this didn't work out so well for me. I couldn't tell that I did anything differently, besides being asked far more questions than during install, but every time the xserver was disabled, unable to find a frame buffer.
After restoring my original xorg.conf, I checked the file itself and see many lines like this:
==========
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x854" "1280x800" "1280x768" "1200x800" "1152x864" "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
==========
in the screen section. Checking at
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/X11 ... onf.5.html
I see that, "The first valid mode in this list will be the default display mode for startup."
So I guess xorg won't let me have a higher-res option than the default, it wants me to use the highest by default.
No biggie, I'll just remove all the 1400x1050s. I'm still trying to understand all you suggested regarding Jack... more later. Thanks.

bluesdog

#4 Post by bluesdog »

Yeah, I think the display defaults to the first entry in the list, so if you manually remove all the entries for the mode(s) you don't want, or perhaps re-order the list, you should be good to go.

I'm currently messing around with jack and various audio things, after compiling a new kernel with the realtime patch and module.... I'm not sure I know jack about jack, either!

Keep in touch, though. We can compare notes :wink:

badmuthahubbard

#5 Post by badmuthahubbard »

bluesdog wrote:Yeah, I think the display defaults to the first entry in the list, so if you manually remove all the entries for the mode(s) you don't want, or perhaps re-order the list, you should be good to go.

I'm currently messing around with jack and various audio things, after compiling a new kernel with the realtime patch and module.... I'm not sure I know jack about jack, either!

Keep in touch, though. We can compare notes :wink:
OK. I never thought of reordering the list, I'll go ahead and do that!

ajdlinux

#6 Post by ajdlinux »

badmuthahubbard wrote:
Hmm, this didn't work out so well for me. I couldn't tell that I did anything differently, besides being asked far more questions than during install, but every time the xserver was disabled, unable to find a frame buffer.
You should be asked a question asking if you want to use a framebuffer or not. Choose No for that unless you have a framebuffer driver loaded, e.g. nvidiafb or radeonfb.