Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
m_l

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

#81 Post by m_l »

mojoman wrote:I've just skimmed this thread so if this has been whined about already, then I'm sorry.

Fonts. Old gripe though I must say I myself rarely have a problem with fonts. I love the way Iceweasel (or any other browser I have installed such as Konqueror, Opera and Midori) renders my fonts. Fact is that just about any program I have installed renders fonts somewhere between beautiful and at least acceptable. Yuk! Horrible is the only word I can think of. I changed the fonts to the setting I have in iceweasel but that didn't do any good.

What do you guys think? Is chrome rendering fonts nicely for you?
/mojoman
I too had problems with font rendering in Google Chrome. Tried Iceweasel's settings and that did not help. So I will stick with Iceweasel.

justaguynpc

#82 Post by justaguynpc »

jackiebrown:I trust the sidux devolpers as much a I trust anyone I don't personally know. And my respect for them went up when they made it clear they did not support that hack upgrade script that served only to scare new users against using apt.

I suppose you are referring to the smxi script? Just curious, what is it about smxi you don't like? I use it, but am not really aware of any concrete negative influences it may have on sidux. To be fair, I walked away from the whole issue because I really didn't understand the bone of contention sidux had with h2 or his script, would you mind educating me ........ ?

BTW, I am unable to manage quicktime playback on this machine, never have, where should I look to start troubleshooting that? I know this may not be the correct forum, but I am using chromium atm without any other problems. I am sure the quicktime issue is my ignorance, I just hadn't been worried enough to ask.............. I have unstable versions of libquicktime1 and quicktime-X11utils installed.

Thanks
debian sid

craigevil

#83 Post by craigevil »

justaguynpc wrote:jackiebrown:I trust the sidux devolpers as much a I trust anyone I don't personally know. And my respect for them went up when they made it clear they did not support that hack upgrade script that served only to scare new users against using apt.

I suppose you are referring to the smxi script? Just curious, what is it about smxi you don't like? I use it, but am not really aware of any concrete negative influences it may have on sidux. To be fair, I walked away from the whole issue because I really didn't understand the bone of contention sidux had with h2 or his script, would you mind educating me ........ ?

BTW, I am unable to manage quicktime playback on this machine, never have, where should I look to start troubleshooting that? I know this may not be the correct forum, but I am using chromium atm without any other problems. I am sure the quicktime issue is my ignorance, I just hadn't been worried enough to ask.............. I have unstable versions of libquicktime1 and quicktime-X11utils installed.

Thanks
gecko-mediaplayer should play quicktime .
mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 0.9.8

Filename /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.so
Plugin Version:
Plugin Description: Gecko Media Player 0.9.8
Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
$ apt-cache policy gecko-mediaplayer
gecko-mediaplayer:
Installed: 0.9.8-1
Candidate: 0.9.8-1
Version table:
*** 0.9.8-1 0
990 http://ftp.debian.org sid/main Packages

BTW smxi rocks. sidux probably wouldn't even exist without it. Or if it did it would be nothing but a bunch of uber geeks using it. But then again considering how it has fallen on distrowatch and that the #sidux channel rarely has more than 80ppl says alot. bad enough they shun aptitude.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Jackiebrown

#84 Post by Jackiebrown »

smxi script is a frontend for apt-get usefull to the type of people that would press y to whatever apt-get said without reading.

It helps breed ignoranent users.

I agree with craig about aptitude. I rarley use apt-get anymore. aptitude really does better with dependency resolving for me.

dbbolton

#85 Post by dbbolton »

Jackiebrown wrote:smxi script is a frontend for apt-get usefull to the type of people that would press y to whatever apt-get said without reading.
So why not just use the -y option
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

justaguynpc

#86 Post by justaguynpc »

Thanks craigevil for the gecko-mediaplayer hint, up and running in iceweasel, I guess I was expecting too much to have it work in chromium. I will have to do some research into chrome/chromium plugins, if they in fact exist.

I really don't care for the mplayer/gtk look in KDE, so I installed kmplayer (seems kplayer is depreciated). Now I "see" mplayer with both the gtk AND the kmplayer look. I thought about toying around with gtk-qt-engine, while having read your howto, seems a little too "kloodgy" for something as small as appearance to worry about at this stage of the game.

Appreciate it!
debian sid

Jackiebrown

#87 Post by Jackiebrown »

dbbolton wrote:
Jackiebrown wrote:smxi script is a frontend for apt-get usefull to the type of people that would press y to whatever apt-get said without reading.
So why not just use the -y option
They would still have to read :wink:

I think it pushes bad habit and has kept a lot of sidux users with the old windows type mentality (to scared to administer their own machines) which is why a lot of users left sidux simply for the devs officially stating they did not support that script.

On topic, I hope Chrome gets noscript added soon but apparently it will require new calls to the extension api so that may be a while off. (http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=1676)

I wonder if Mozilla extensions will still be able to do this one they loose some access to modify the browser... http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 01409.html

milomak

#88 Post by milomak »

have they added the ability yet of blocking cookies except those you have in a whitelist?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

craigevil

#89 Post by craigevil »

Holy cow batman it works. Seems importing Firefox settings kills it. Might be my huge bookmakrs list.
chromium-browser:
Installed: 4.0.300.0~svn20100116r36447-0
Candidate: 4.0.300.0~svn20100116r36447-0
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

Jackiebrown

#90 Post by Jackiebrown »

craigevil wrote:Holy cow batman it works. Seems importing Firefox settings kills it. Might be my huge bookmakrs list.
chromium-browser:
Installed: 4.0.300.0~svn20100116r36447-0
Candidate: 4.0.300.0~svn20100116r36447-0
It is not your bookmark. It kills my broweser to. I saved it as a html file and opened it as a web page and manually recreated a my bookmarks (at least the ones that I frequent the most.)

Firefox has the same problem for me when trying to import html saved bookmarks - except that it doesn't crash... It doesn't actually import anything, either. Opera and Konqueror seem to be the best at importing bookmarks.

craigevil

#91 Post by craigevil »

justaguynpc wrote:Thanks craigevil for the gecko-mediaplayer hint, up and running in iceweasel, I guess I was expecting too much to have it work in chromium. I will have to do some research into chrome/chromium plugins, if they in fact exist.

I really don't care for the mplayer/gtk look in KDE, so I installed kmplayer (seems kplayer is depreciated). Now I "see" mplayer with both the gtk AND the kmplayer look. I thought about toying around with gtk-qt-engine, while having read your howto, seems a little too "kloodgy" for something as small as appearance to worry about at this stage of the game.

Appreciate it!
I went with Chromium, when I installed it there were aslo two plugin pakcges:
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-nonfree - Non-free ffmpeg codecs for the Chromium Browser
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg - Free ffmpeg codecs for the Chromium Browser

This package contains the multi-threaded ffmpeg codecs needed for the HTML5
<audio> and <video> tags. In addition to the free ogg, vorbis and theora codecs,
H.264, MP3 and AAC are also included. See chromium-codecs-ffmpeg if you prefer only
the free codecs
My Giant Sources.list

milomak

#92 Post by milomak »

craigevil - are you using this chromium?

Code: Select all

chromium-browser:
  Installed: 4.0.304.0~svn20100122r36841-0
  Candidate: 4.0.304.0~svn20100122r36841-0
  Version table:
 *** 4.0.304.0~svn20100122r36841-0 0
        500 http://frickelplatz.de sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
I am finding it crashes or the pages become unresponsive when I try to go to the extensions page or test java here

EDIT: It's happening with the amd64 deb as well

google-chrome-beta:
  Installed: 4.0.249.43-r34537
  Candidate: 4.0.249.43-r34537
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus

craigevil

#93 Post by craigevil »

milomak wrote:craigevil - are you using this chromium?
I was , I gave up on Chrome, not matter what one I use it refuses to load pages. Firefox rocks for me.
My Giant Sources.list

Bro.Tiag

#94 Post by Bro.Tiag »

craigevil wrote:
I was , I gave up on Chrome, not matter what one I use it refuses to load pages. Firefox rocks for me.
Did you give up on uzbl as well?

Jackiebrown

#95 Post by Jackiebrown »

craigevil wrote:
Craig,

there was a bad upload for a while (assuming you were getting the aw snap error.) It's working now. Also, the import feature from firefox works.

craigevil

#96 Post by craigevil »

Jackiebrown wrote:
craigevil wrote:
Craig,

there was a bad upload for a while (assuming you were getting the aw snap error.) It's working now. Also, the import feature from firefox works.
Nope, both chrome and chromium from towo's repo just sit there spinning until they give an error about script not working on any Google site including gmail.

Other pages take forever to load, even konq loads faster.

I have removed the config files, reinstalled, purged, reinstalled, no matter what chrome refuses to work for me.

For now I will stick with Firefox and Uzbl. When I get my Touchbook I will try Chrome since it comes preinstalled.
My Giant Sources.list

craigevil

#97 Post by craigevil »

Hey guess what I am posting from Google Chrome.

$ apt-cache policy google-chrome-beta
google-chrome-beta:
Installed: 4.0.249.43-r34537
Candidate: 4.0.249.43-r34537

No clue how or why it is finally working.
My Giant Sources.list

dbbolton

#98 Post by dbbolton »

First time I tried to run it:

The program 'google-chrome' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
  (Details: serial 1238 error_code 8 request_code 12 minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
Uninstalling, and probably never installing again.
Last edited by dbbolton on 2010-02-06 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

milomak

#99 Post by milomak »

another thing i just noticed, i couldn't copy and paste a picture from chrome to evolution or thunderbird. i was able to do it eith firefox (not iceweasel).

craigevil

#100 Post by craigevil »

google-chrome-unstable:
Installed: 5.0.307.5-r37950
Candidate: 5.0.307.5-r37950
Version table:
*** 5.0.307.5-r37950 0
500 http://dl.google.com stable/main Packages

Actually seems to work ok, seems to work a bit better than earlier versions. It is one of those beta things that will probably keep getting better.
My Giant Sources.list