Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Over 20 gb to install ?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
m00nd0g

Over 20 gb to install ?

#1 Post by m00nd0g »

Hi ... I know this isn't the case but can someone explain what I need to install this software . Because from the website it shows this below

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.3/i386/iso-dvd/

Why is there more than 20 gb ?

Thanks

craigevil

Re: Over 20 gb to install ?

#2 Post by craigevil »

You only need the first dvd or cd to install unless you do not have internet on the machine you are installing to then you would probably want all of the dvds.

If you have decent broadband connection the netinstall is the fastest way to install.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

m00nd0g

#3 Post by m00nd0g »

Thanks for responding ... So all I need to install this operating system is this below ?

debian-503-i386-DVD-1.iso 05-Sep-2009 10:59 4.4G

So why is there 2,3,4,5 files and so on ? What are the rest for ?

Thanks

craigevil

#4 Post by craigevil »

Yes, the other dvds are for the rest of the 20,000 packages that are available in debian.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

aj123

#5 Post by aj123 »

m00nd0g wrote:Thanks for responding ... So all I need to install this operating system is this below ?

debian-503-i386-DVD-1.iso 05-Sep-2009 10:59 4.4G

So why is there 2,3,4,5 files and so on ? What are the rest for ?

Thanks
Or debian-503-i386-CD-1.iso

Everything you need to install a complete desktop is included in the first DVD or CD. The other discs include extra software in case you don't have an internet connection. Once you have installed the first DVD or CD you will be able to install any of that extra software if you need it.

m00nd0g

#6 Post by m00nd0g »

Thanks for the info ... I have them all . I will give the first one a try ... I'm planning to take my time to try to understand this type of operating system . I'm sure it isn't that easy to learn but I will give it a go and see how it goes ...

Rolling Stone

#7 Post by Rolling Stone »

This kind of threads really make one wonder how much useless downloads there are. People go ahead and download all the DVDs while all they actually need is the first CD. Or even just the netinstall, which might not be good enough for newbies though.

Perhaps some easy-to-digest in-your-face documentation would help.

Welcome on board m00nd0g! :)

aj123

#8 Post by aj123 »

To install Debian on a machine without an Internet connection, it's possible to use CD images (650 MB each) or DVD images (4.4 GB each). Download the first CD or DVD image file, write it using a CD/DVD recorder, and then reboot from that.

The first CD/DVD disk contains all the files necessary to install a standard Debian system.
To avoid needless downloads, please do not download other CD or DVD image files unless you know that you need packages on them.
How more in-you-face do you want it to be?

julian67

#9 Post by julian67 »

aj123 wrote: How more in-you-face do you want it to be?
Perhaps some kind of virtual reality experience where a hand emerges from the monitor screen, slaps the viewer hard across the face while the speakers scream "You only need the first CD! Don't just look at the pictures....try reading the f***ing words!"

My estimate is that this would reduce the number of times this question is raised by no more than 0.5%, but it would be fun to watch.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Rolling Stone

#10 Post by Rolling Stone »

julian67 wrote:My estimate is that this would reduce the number of times this question is raised by no more than 0.5%, but it would be fun to watch.
Every little byte helps.

Maybe there should be some kind of trick questions to answer before you could download. As people who're not going to rtfm aren't going to make it anyways.

Or maybe the project just is desperate for some success... /friendly fire

aj123

#11 Post by aj123 »

Or just link directly to the ISO vs presenting users with a directory listing of every single ISO available.
[alpha][amd64][arm][armel][hppa][i386][ia64][mips][mipsel][powerpc][sparc][s390][source][multi-arch]

enfield

#12 Post by enfield »

julian67 wrote:
aj123 wrote: How more in-you-face do you want it to be?
Perhaps some kind of virtual reality experience where a hand emerges from the monitor screen, slaps the viewer hard across the face while the speakers scream "You only need the first CD! Don't just look at the pictures....try reading the f***ing words!"

My estimate is that this would reduce the number of times this question is raised by no more than 0.5%, but it would be fun to watch.
Thanks! That was my first good laugh of the day!! :lol:

Ahtiga Saraz

I had the same confusion (last summer)

#13 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

m00nd0g, I had the exact same confusion when I wanted to install Debian for the first time last June. It would have helped both of us if someone had told us right away that you only need to get the first CD, and after installing the core Debian system from that, the idea is that you immediately upgrade over the net to the latest version (in the stable repositories, if you are using Debian Lenny) of all the software, and then to add anything else you need. It's all very easy thanks to the magic of the Debian package management system. Anyway, now you know!
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!

julian67

Re: I had the same confusion (last summer)

#14 Post by julian67 »

Ahtiga Saraz wrote: It would have helped both of us if someone had told us right away that you only need to get the first CD
They did and they do. Requirements for success: basic literacy. In fact you are specifically asked not to download anything other than CD1/DVD1 unless you know you need it.
To install Debian on a machine without an Internet connection, it's possible to use CD images (650 MB each) or DVD images (4.4 GB each). Download the first CD or DVD image file, write it using a CD/DVD recorder, and then reboot from that.

The first CD/DVD disk contains all the files necessary to install a standard Debian system.
To avoid needless downloads, please do not download other CD or DVD image files unless you know that you need packages on them.
The bold text is bold in the original. Apparently what looks bold to some is completely invisible to others.

Absent Minded

#15 Post by Absent Minded »

I highly recomend that those helping in this section please read Harold's post here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 77#p269093

Sarcasm in this section may get your post edited or even removed if it is deemed too inaproperate.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Absent Minded

#16 Post by Absent Minded »

I am meaning common curtasy. What I am trying to avoid here is people being belittled or made a fool of. Please see the thread I just opend for discussion: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=48861
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

julian67

#17 Post by julian67 »

My first post in this thread was indeed inappropriate and I'd like to apologise to m00nd0g for this.