Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wierd Wireless Issue?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
yang925

Wierd Wireless Issue?

#1 Post by yang925 »

I have a BCM4312 Wireless card in my Dell Inspirion 1545. I compiled a driver by following a tutorial. The wireless card will now scan however when i connect to a network via nm-applet (gnome network manger) i get an IP address on the wrong subnet. i get 10.43.42.1 everytime and the it should be 10.0.1.X. I am running debian SID. Everything is set up and working other than that and audio. Audio is working i am convinced but is doing the whole pulse audio vs. KDE thing. not a problem atm. i have been on the irc twice and i am have been trying for a couple of days. Any help would be appreciated. Issue driving me crazy. i want to switch form ubuntu.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: Wierd Wireless Issue?

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

Got the firmware?

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install b43-fwcutter

# ls /lib/firmware/b43/
a0g0bsinitvals4.fw   a0g1initvals5.fw     lp0bsinitvals13.fw  pcm5.fw
a0g0bsinitvals5.fw   a0g1initvals9.fw     lp0bsinitvals14.fw  ucode11.fw
a0g0bsinitvals9.fw   b0g0bsinitvals13.fw  lp0bsinitvals15.fw  ucode13.fw
a0g0initvals4.fw     b0g0bsinitvals4.fw   lp0initvals13.fw    ucode14.fw
a0g0initvals5.fw     b0g0bsinitvals5.fw   lp0initvals14.fw    ucode15.fw
a0g0initvals9.fw     b0g0bsinitvals9.fw   lp0initvals15.fw    ucode4.fw
a0g1bsinitvals13.fw  b0g0initvals13.fw    n0absinitvals11.fw  ucode5.fw
a0g1bsinitvals5.fw   b0g0initvals4.fw     n0bsinitvals11.fw   ucode9.fw
a0g1bsinitvals9.fw   b0g0initvals5.fw     n0initvals11.fw
a0g1initvals13.fw    b0g0initvals9.fw     pcm4.fw
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

yang925 wrote:I have a BCM4312 Wireless card in my Dell Inspirion 1545. I compiled a driver by following a tutorial. The wireless card will now scan however when i connect to a network via nm-applet (gnome network manger) i get an IP address on the wrong subnet. i get 10.43.42.1 everytime and the it should be 10.0.1.X. I am running debian SID. Everything is set up and working other than that and audio. Audio is working i am convinced but is doing the whole pulse audio vs. KDE thing. not a problem atm. i have been on the irc twice and i am have been trying for a couple of days. Any help would be appreciated. Issue driving me crazy. i want to switch form ubuntu.
There's a couple of candidate drivers that you could have compiled. Maybe the "broadcom-sta" from the repo, or directly from Broadcom, or b43 from compat-wireless, or others...Which one, and which tutorial did you follow?
MX Linux packager and developer

yang925

#4 Post by yang925 »

installing the firmware didn't fix issue, i dont rember the tutorial but i have broadcom-sta source packages still. i will try and find another one.

tryed

sudo apt-get purge broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source and the kernal image broadcom deb i self compiled

sudo apt-get install module-assistant wireless-tools b43-fwcutter broadcom-sta-source broadcom-sta-common

ran m-a a-i -f broadcom-sta

modprobe -r ssb b43 b43legacy

modprobe wl

back in the same spot. i can scan networks , get funky ip addr. still exact same one.

Thanks for all the help sofar.. intrestingly enough, broadcom-sta driver worked great in Ubuntu 9.10, && i believe it was a 2.6.31 kernal.

EDIT: I was able to connect to a no security , visable AP. problem is possibly with this kernel && driver in sid? or am i doing somthing wrong?
EDIT: Solved. updated , nm-applet got an update, reinstalled firmware , restarted, and BAAM working wireless. possibly bug in nm-applet. idk. works great now.

oOarthurOo

#5 Post by oOarthurOo »

I hear you are having a problem with something about wireless. I also hear you are using Sid and just switching from Ubuntu. I just want to advise you that this is a very bad idea.

Here is a brief description of each version of Debian:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debia ... #s-version

You can also find lots of posts on the various versions of Debian on these forums and elsewhere.

Although you may find individuals willing to help you here, on the newsgroups, and on IRC, in my experience many users will not wish to spend time helping you fix one problem because they will judge you to be unfit for running Debian Sid. This is not because they do not want you using Debian or trying to learn, just that experience has shown that users who run sid and need to ask fairly simple questions (e.g., wireless trouble) will not have a satisfying experience using Debian.

Others will be quite glad to help.

For my part, I will suggest that if you truly want to run sid, may I also suggest Sidux to you. It is essentially Debian sid with an installer and some extra stuff to make the danger of updating your system to a broken one slightly less likely. You will still be able to get help here and elsewhere (just don't say your using Sidux!), but the danger will be less to you. I myself use Testing (currently Squeeze) and find it quite good. Sid is a bit too scary for me, because I need this system to work everyday, and if something goes wrong, I need to be able to fix it fast.

Welcome to the forums,

Best wishes,
Arthur

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#6 Post by mzilikazi »

yang925 wrote:I have a BCM4312 Wireless card in my Dell Inspirion 1545. I compiled a driver by following a tutorial.
I have a 4311 that requires no extra drivers, only the firmware. There is a broadcom driver in the kernel but it only works on some model chips - the 4311 is not one of them.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G