Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Reboot fails: new 2.6.8 kernel-headers at fault??

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
zwerg

#21 Post by zwerg »

Sorry, but there will be a slight delay while I put out some fires in the In Basket....I'll back with answers for you shortly!

zwerg

#22 Post by zwerg »

Drat. I seem to have wandered off the path...point me in the right direction, please!

I updated my database, and then used command slocate apic | less. Results: nothing in /lib/modules/2.6.8-3-686 or anywhere else but /usr, where source code and various document files are to be found, but nothing that tells me whether I have any kernel modules involving apic. Right: no directory except /usr contains a file including "apic" in its name. Do you need a list of the subdirectories of /usr that include some sort of apic file?? I thought I would find the apic-related modules in somewhere in /lib.

Then for confirmation I tried this command: ls -R /lib | grep apic | less and got zero results. .

Over to you...

ajdlinux

#23 Post by ajdlinux »

AFAIK APIC isn't a module.

zwerg

#24 Post by zwerg »

Now I'm really, really confused.

I was looking for apic-RELATED modules, per your post above. Neither you nor I said apic is a module (check the exact wording of our posts). My search was for any module that included the word "apic" in its name.

Doesn't the list you provided in your post show the modules you have that fit that description, namely, "apic" is part of the name of the module? I was looking for a similar list, and I did not find anything. (That may not mean nothing is there; perhaps I conducted my search improperly. That's why I spelled out exactly how I searched -- in case I need instruction in effective search techniques.)

CMIIAW, please.

zwerg

#25 Post by zwerg »

Back to basics: I assumed that the most recent change to my setup was responsible for the sudden coincident failure of the "reboot" command. That could be an example of the "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" fallacy.

We simply don't know where to find the cause(s) of this little problem -- and it IS a little problem -- so it's time to close this thread.

Thanks to all who contributed!