Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to block

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
duwin@mis

how to block

#1 Post by duwin@mis »

i need to block yahoo messenger in our system. But the problem is i usually only block the yahoo website, and yahoo mail. What are the things that was wrong in my blocking yahoo messenger.I am using a debian as my firewall in our sytem. Thank you for your help

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

I don't know much about yahoo messenger's protocol, but if you want to filter it, you have to filter the ports it uses to communicate. If it uses a standard port, like 80, you have to install a transparent proxy, which can understand yahoo's protocol. Zorp is one such proxy, however, you have to program its filter in python.
And note that if you want to filter out nothing but yahoo messenger, your efforts are futile. If there is just one way out of the proxy, you can use that way to forward practically anything.