Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is etch being a little flaky

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
newmarket

Is etch being a little flaky

#1 Post by newmarket »

I was just wondering if anyone has noticed etch being a little flaky recently. I've been experiencing a fair few application crashes lately. KDE apps in particular have been really unstable (Kontact and Kspread come to mind). Openoffice only occasionally starts.

Is it only me, or is anyone else having issues currently.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#2 Post by Lavene »

Yes, there seem to be a few issues. I have problems with the 'kwalletmanager' crashing on logout (bug #372564) and the 'klaptopdaemon' not starting (bug #379890). Also every now and again my system refuse to shut down properly...

Tina

newmarket

#3 Post by newmarket »

Thanks Tina,

I'm glad to see that I'm not going crazy! I also have had nothing but trouble with ldap for the last few days.

Thanks again,

James

DeanLinkous

#4 Post by DeanLinkous »

I installed testing/KDE the other day just to look at some things and I seem to end up with some sort of crash everytime I have used it for a good while. In fact I had to kill arts because it kept maxing out my cpu. Yet, gnome seems fine. I am hoping something just went wrong and it was a bad KDE install or I broke something somewhere. :)

Jason W

#5 Post by Jason W »

I run icewm, and the only problem I have had with etch (a big one, though) is that udev does not recreate devices properly after a reboot. This has been mentioned in the Etch errata. Sometimes I lost my network device and usually I lost my sound device. However, I found that swapping my ISA sound card for a PCI one solved the sound device problem. I also have had much better luck using the weekly testing cd builds or upgrading from Sarge rather than the official Etch Beta 2 installer. Dist upgrading from sarge has never caused me those problems, and using the weekly cd builds has never broken networking.