Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Registration question: zero IS a number...

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
netzen

Registration question: zero IS a number...

#1 Post by netzen »

This is just a small thing but I believe is worth writing here.

Just want to say that I was confused at the registration process, and so, I like to suggest to change the question "what is the number in the middle?"...

As strange as it may seems the zero IS a number! And so, the number is the middle of the "0 1 2 3 4 5" can ONLY be "23", if any (2.5 is another possible answer).

Perhaps I'm not getting the real meaning of the question, so, I don't want to argue about the number stuff, but I like to suggest a different question to avoid this doubt by others.

Thanks,
Valter Fukuoka

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Registration question: zero IS a number...

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

we been over this before

Absent Minded

#3 Post by Absent Minded »

This is meant to invoke a rational response as the spambots don't have relational understanding.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

netzen

#5 Post by netzen »

Absent Minded wrote:This is meant to invoke a rational response as the spambots don't have relational understanding.
Hi AbsMind, sorry to write about this. I FULLY understand the need to block spam. I'm not debating the number stuff nor the need to block spam.

The question is more subtle and too much easy to change to not addressing it.
I believe that the REAL trouble is that it is a incorrectly stated question and may "reveal" or "suggest" the level of the technical quality of the place...
Information technology and maths goes, sometimes, side by side, and it is inevitable to expect related personnel have higher attention to such details. Specially business and professionals will be troubled when they face something that maybe perceived as unnecessary complexity.

My understanding is that we should never make the user spend extra time while registering by presenting him with something more complicated when we can do the same stuff with more clear procedure. I WAS really in doubt about this question and after receiving the indication that "3" maybe the answer I was able to go.

I like to repeat: I don't want to discuss the number stuff, just ask to change something that is EASY to change.
And, I do think that there are needs for prevent spam, no problem about that.

So, to conclude the why a posted the msg; it is small and subtle stuff but if it is having more "collateral damage" than it is helping to prevent spam, and it is relatively easy to change, why not changed it.

The very fact that we are here, re-wasting (re-investing) time on the question should be the evidence that the question is worth changing.

My concern is about the "perceived" quality standard (levels) of all participants, and thus the quality standard of the place, being undermined unnecessarily.

Respectfully,
Valter Fukuoka