Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How fast are your ADSL upload and download speeds?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kedaha

How fast are your ADSL upload and download speeds?

#1 Post by kedaha »

Just curious to know how fast your ADSL is. A typical online speed-test result I get is for example 5.55 MB/s download and 0.61Mb/s upload. :( According to the Wikipedia:
The distinguishing characteristic of ADSL over other forms of DSL is that the bandwidth is greater in the direction to the customer premises than the reverse, giving rise to is asymmetric characteristic. Providers usually market ADSL as a service for consumers to connect to the Internet in a relatively passive mode: able to use the higher speed direction for the download from the Internet but not needing to run servers that would require high speed in the other direction.
So ADSL is very good if you are a typical websurfer but if you are interested in running some kind of a server you run into the problem of very low upload speed.The best ADSL economic upload speed where I am is supposed to be 2.5 MB so I'm thinking seriously about changing my ISP. But even 2.5MB doesn't look so wonderful in comparison with some of the upload speeds available in some European countries.
Last edited by kedaha on 2010-05-29 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Pick2

Re: How fast are your ADSL upload and download speeds?

#2 Post by Pick2 »

I just ran speed test http://www.speedtest.net/
My Comcast broadband here is 8.52 Mb/s download , 2.68 Mb/s upload and 45 ms ping.

sickie

#3 Post by sickie »

I have VDSL2 and not ADSL; my speedtest results are 9.50 Mb/s download, 1.71 Mb/s upload and ping is 13 ms.
:shock:

Struggling

#4 Post by Struggling »

0.44mb/s download, 0.11mb/s upload, 43ms ping
Novice
Debian Lenny, KDE

nadir

#5 Post by nadir »

But even 2.5MB doesn't look so wonderful in comparison with some of the upload speeds available in some European countries.
http://www.speedtest.net/
11.5 MB/s ; 0.8 MB/s; 36 ms
as far i know its europe. adsl. upload is a real pain.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

sjukfan

#6 Post by sjukfan »

VDSL2 here, 21Mb/s down and 6.5Mb/s up. Maybe add a little because I'm runing web servers and web radio that I don't want to turn off.
I see this speed as a compensation for all the years I had to live with a 2400 modem :-)
Last edited by sjukfan on 2010-03-05 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

kedaha

#7 Post by kedaha »

I was happy with my present ISP's download speed but because the max. upload speed was only 1 mega which I never obtained I've now signed up with a new company which in theory provides a max 20 mega /s download and 2.5 mega/s upload speed. However, I wanted a static IP but have decided to go back to dynamic because the new ISP charges about 120 euros a year for the privilege so I'll have to set up my server with dynamic IP which I wanted to avoid. The ISPs seem to think that all you want to do with your internet connection is to watch YouTube videos, download stuff and participate in social network sites but, if you want to set up a server, they offer you an expensive option for companies.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

lancelot

#8 Post by lancelot »

Since a couple of months, my Aptitude typically caps around 1080-1096 kB/sec on large packages, though I have witnessed it raise past 1100 for a short time once.

This should mean, unless I'm mistaken, that my ISP (orange) is willing and able to let me download at a little above 8Mb/sec, which is the download speed that they advertised on their offer (without warranting it by contract).

Since I live in my current flat, right in the center of a small town, I've seen them improve from about 800 kB/sec to their current performance. It seems that they are making slow and somewhat regular progress on the speed of their network.

sir fer

#9 Post by sir fer »

Just now

and the all time record :D

Bulkley

#10 Post by Bulkley »

down -13.12 mb/s
up - 0.86 mb/s

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by canci »

Consider yourself lucky! Here's what I have:

I pay ~15 € for that, and it's flatrate. No fair usage, genuine flatrate. And the average income here is ~300 €.
You can of course have more speed for the same price (e.g. 2 MBit), but then you're limited to 5 GB download
or so.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

sjukfan

#12 Post by sjukfan »

I'd rather go for flatrate than high speed if I had to chose. I used to have a $250 phone bill back in the days of dial ups and I don't miss that time
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

Pick2

#13 Post by Pick2 »

Seeing as lancelot brought up Aptitude ... :)
I must say , I installed squeeze minimal and Apt-Cacher NG on a fast box with a gigabit NIC , installed a Gigabit switch to a few (7) other giga NIC boxes and ...
Installs and apt-get are just blazing fast ! net installs are just Sooooo much faster than a full cd install. I have etch , lenny and squeeze boxes and it keeps all their packages stored automatically! Really cuts down on the downloads.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by canci »

Pick2 wrote:net installs are just Sooooo much faster than a full cd install.
Yeah! I remember being without Internet for a while and installing packages off the 3 Etch DVDs I had... :O
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

pic0

#15 Post by pic0 »

=)

sir fer

#16 Post by sir fer »

I'm starting to feel incredibly lucky . I live at the a$$ end of the world (NZ) and get better speed than some of my European or American bretheren. for me 80kBps is more than adequate for my modest web-server...

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by canci »

New Zealand is not the ass of the world infrastructure. It still is the West(TM).
Many people think that living in Europe automatically qualifies for a bigger standard.
Maybe this is true for the states that were not communist, but those that were
generally have crappy Internet, except for the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Poland,
maybe also the Baltic countries. The rest, especially the Balkans, lag behind the West
a lot.

Just to give you a comparison:

My ISP's best ADSL flat rate offer: 6 MBit download / 384 kbit upload speed for 50€/month
Modem and installation are free (although as a Linux user you're left out to fend for yourself).
(the average salary is around 300€/month)

The Austrian Telecom gives you: 8MBit down/up, which basically is dual internet. You can
use it at home or on the go with an HSDPA modem, for just about 30€.
(According to this http://www.worldsalaries.org/austria.shtml no monthly payment is under
1000€.)

Also, if you look at the US, Internet is different when you compare New York and Iowa.
There are places in the middle of nowhere which have very poor Internet compared
to the rest of the West.

I guess major US cities, Japan and South Korea are the luckiest in this respect.

READ THIS:

lancelot

#18 Post by lancelot »

canci wrote:My ISP's best ADSL flat rate offer: 6 MBit download / 384 kbit upload speed for 50€/month
Modem and installation are free (although as a Linux user you're left out to fend for yourself).
(the average salary is around 300€/month)
Do you live in a city or in a village/the country ?

In France in a city you mostly have 8Mb down/1Mb- up. In remote areas it's 1Mb down/256kb up. For about 30€/month, or a bit more if you choose to have it without the regular phone subscription.
BTW I find that ADSL is stupid. It would be better if it were SDSL for everybody.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by canci »

I live in the suburbs. But the offer is equal everywhere, except for remote villages which have no DSL infrastructure at all.
Bigger towns have cable internet flatrate which is approximately the same price, give or take 5€.

READ THIS:

MrFrood

#20 Post by MrFrood »

but I cheated (I have a cable hook up not ADSL)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

http://happy.sdf-eul.org/