Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Xen: choosing package version and maintaining upgrades

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
halfgaar

Xen: choosing package version and maintaining upgrades

#1 Post by halfgaar »

Hi,

I'm giving Xen a try on Debian Lenny x86 and there are a few questions that pop up. This wiki page says to install xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-686. This package does nothing more than depend on linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-686 and xen-hypervisor-3.2-1-i386. The two questions that I have are:
  • Isn't it better to manually install linux-image-2.6-xen-686? This package just has 2.6 in its name and therefore when a higher version like 2.6.30 is released, it will be properly upgraded.
  • The only installable package of Xen is xen-hypervisor-3.2-1-i386 (aside from the non-pae version). The xen-hypervisor-3 is a virtual package and can therefore not be installed. How will I automatically upgrade to Xen-3.3? Why is there no installable xen-3 package?
Regarding the first question, does that have to do with the fact that when an upgrade takes place, the domU (guest) will no longer have the proper kernel modules and won't boot? Is the advised way to manually install the same version on both domU and dom0 for compatibilty?