Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenny or Squeeze with Ati card

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Bummy

Lenny or Squeeze with Ati card

#1 Post by Bummy »

Hello. I'm still new to linux and don't know much about these yet, I used Debian first as friend told me about it but later tested another distros as well.
Anyway they didn't feel as nice and now I'd like to come back to Debian.

I have Ati HD 4890 card and I need to get it working with game and 3d-software. Which Debian should I choose to get those ati proprietary drivers to work as stable and easily? Can I get them working all the time with Squeeze/Unstable or should I use Lenny for that? If they work with all of them, I'd like to take Squeeze (or is unstable as stable? name doesn't say that at least). So which one I should choose? Can a newbie get fglrx to work on Squeeze?

Absent Minded

Re: Lenny or Squeeze with Ati card

#2 Post by Absent Minded »

It is just my opinion but Squeeze will be the new stable in just a few months. While I admit that it is not completely perfict yet I think it is a better choice. I however am not completely firmilyer with your graphics card. Having said that, I haven't had much trouble using ATI cards under Debian.

Debian has 3 primary branches. Stable (currently Lenny), Testing (currently Squeeze) and Unstable (always called Sid). It has been my experiance that Testing is as stable as "most" other distrobution's so called stable release. Having said that if you need a "Rock Solid" stable system you should go with stable. Myself, I use stable on my servers and generally testing on my main box.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Bummy

#3 Post by Bummy »

Yeah, I'd like to take Squeeze as well, just need to be sure before installing that I will get fglrx working with it. With some distros I had problems to get it working, wrong version of xorg and things like that, or maybe I'm just too newbie and don't know how to get it working on these situations.

So someone with current experience of ati, I'd like to hear how's it working and what affects it, what should I do and what should not I do

I'm happy to hear all advices which may help

alpha-dog

#4 Post by alpha-dog »

I use debian testing with a 3870 ATI card and 3d works with firmware-linux from the repo's.

Bummy

#5 Post by Bummy »

I installed Debian Squeeze and firmware-linux and it works great. Even 3D seems to work at least ok and normal mode without it feels faster than with fglrx.
Thank you! I always thought that I would need to set up those fglrx with much pain.