Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

C complier? [SOLVED]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bugsbunny

Re: C complier?

#21 Post by bugsbunny »

Did you have libimlib2-dev installed?

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, that's one of the nice things about reusing the upstream Debianized sources, there's a control file that lists all the build depends and a single command to automatically install them all. I think the Lenny version is missing a symbol that conky calls out. If I can get it to build with a newer version of the library, then I'll let the package maintainer know to update the build-depend to add a minimum version.
MX Linux packager and developer

Temporary Saint

#23 Post by Temporary Saint »

This is what is so great about FOSS. I'd never get this help with closed source.

I'll keep my eyes on this post to see how the build goes.

Thank you!
Steve

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

Thought I'd let you know that a backport of libimlib2 let me successfully also backport the Ubuntu 1.7.2 version, though I have not tested the lua and cairo functionality; they are enabled in the conky-all package. I'm currently really busy helping with the new Mepis 8.5 volunteer community repository (where I have picked up what backporting skills I possess), but will redo the backports for Lenny in my 32-bit virtual machine.

stevepusser

#25 Post by stevepusser »

OK, also found out that you need to upgrade libcairo2 and -dev to the Lenny-Backports version 1.8.8 to get it to build, which may have been the root of the problem of your first build failure. Anyway, that's just for the fancy conky-all version, not the conky-std--also included.

So, if you want that, upgrade libcairo2, install libimlib2 from the following tarball first, then your selected version of conky, also in the file: (32 bit only)

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1UMhs ... ODRl&hl=en

Temporary Saint

#26 Post by Temporary Saint »

I think you might have forgotten to enable global sharing again?

Steve

stevepusser

#27 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah...it was really late (for me)

Sharing is now enabled. Thanks.

bugsbunny

#28 Post by bugsbunny »

Just a note. Conky 1.8 has now been released as stable, and is also now available in sid (showed up today)Debian -- Package Search Results -- conky

Temporary Saint

#29 Post by Temporary Saint »

Steve,
Thanks for opening the access to the file. The only problem I'm running into (so far) is installing the upgrades for libcairo2. I've got a dependency issue with libpixman, and I'm wondering if that library is going to have another. Maybe more issues than I'm ready to take on.

Bugs,
When I tried to install the conky package from Sid, apt displayed over a hundred packages that would need to be upgraded, which looked like it amounted to an actual upgrade to Sid. I don't think I want that. Also if I download the lastest stable release 1.8.0, won't I just run into the same dependency issues I'm having with 1.7.2?

bugsbunny

#30 Post by bugsbunny »

I wasn't suggesting you directly install the package from sid (unless you want to upgrade to squeeze). I just mentioned it because of what Steve had said about a git pull. You now have Debianized sources for 1.8 available in sid, which can be used as the basis of a backport if someone is so inclined.

Temporary Saint

Re: C complier? [SOLVED]

#31 Post by Temporary Saint »

Since it was a test machine I just installed Squeeze and was able to install the Conky 1.8.0 update easily from the Sid repos. No dependency issues. Ahh...life is good.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Steve

stevepusser

#32 Post by stevepusser »

I think had to use those libraries from lenny backports to get it to build correctly. I will try to work some on 1.8 this week...just very busy updating the community repo for Mepis 8.5...Hey, the KDE 4 Daisy plasmoid widget from Lucid will build in 8.5.

Update: Looks like some problem in Lenny's libc6 causes the build to fail for 1.8.0, perhaps it's too old....

Temporary Saint wrote:Steve,
Thanks for opening the access to the file. The only problem I'm running into (so far) is installing the upgrades for libcairo2. I've got a dependency issue with libpixman, and I'm wondering if that library is going to have another. Maybe more issues than I'm ready to take on.

Bugs,
When I tried to install the conky package from Sid, apt displayed over a hundred packages that would need to be upgraded, which looked like it amounted to an actual upgrade to Sid. I don't think I want that. Also if I download the lastest stable release 1.8.0, won't I just run into the same dependency issues I'm having with 1.7.2?