Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is there a HOWTO or equivalent for the app "burn"?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
zwerg

Is there a HOWTO or equivalent for the app "burn"?

#1 Post by zwerg »

Task: burn data CDs, multisession, from the CLI (Lenny). Imagine running a search for the term "burn"! Six zillion responses...burn really should be called something else. Does anybody know of a resource that will help me configure /etc/burn.conf, and get running? TIA

refracta

Re: Is there a HOWTO or equivalent for the app "burn"?

#2 Post by refracta »

Imagine running a search for the term "burn"! Six zillion responses...burn really should be called something else.
apt-cache search --names-only burn
Does anybody know of a resource that will help me configure /etc/burn.conf, and get running? TIA
man burn

zwerg

#3 Post by zwerg »

Well. Let me try again.

I have the app "burn" installed, but I can't make it work. Before installing it, I used aptitude to look at its description. Having installed it, I looked at the two README files it put in /usr/share/doc, and of course I read the man page. Then I posted asking for a quick way to get to help on the configuration. Maybe someone who uses Lenny also uses "burn"?

refracta

#4 Post by refracta »

I use wodim myself but tried burn and had no problem configuring it.

If you read the man page then I assume you have already used the burn-configure utility as instructed? The man page seems to be about as thorough as any howto could be in regard to a command line tool.

Beyond that, to receive any sort of meaningful help you will probably need to post any relevant configuration files, actual error messages, hardware info, and so forth.

zwerg

#5 Post by zwerg »

No, I did not use the utility mentioned on the man page, because I misinterpreted
"Configuration files for burn are: ~/.burnrc or /etc/burn.conf. You can edit them to change values. If you don't have these files you can: 1) use burn-configure utility"
to mean that if I had /etc/burn.conf, I would not have to use the utility.

So I tried the utility, and it produced a burn.conf file that differed from what I had already looked at and tinkered with a bit in one insignificant respect only: the mount point (which was different because I changed it to what I hope was correct). But I used the new burn.conf file anyway.

My original results with the old, default /etc/burn.conf produced this result:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/burn", line 292, in <module>
class ISO:
File "/usr/bin/burn", line 299, in ISO
mount_dir = config.get('ISO','mount_dir')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 520, in get
raise NoOptionError(option, section)
ConfigParser.NoOptionError: No option 'mount_dir' in section: 'ISO'

Then when I tried the NEW /etc/burn.conf, I got this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/burn", line 1189, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/bin/burn", line 896, in main
cdrom.line_create()
File "/usr/bin/burn", line 478, in line_create
self.cdrecord_args.append("speed=%(speed)s" % vars(self))
It's time to move on. I'll have a look at wodim. Thanks!

Two edits to get it right....