Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Ubuntu packages on Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ImageAcoustique

Installing Ubuntu packages on Debian

#1 Post by ImageAcoustique »

Hi there,
I'm running a dual boot laptop with Debian 5.04 and Ubuntu 10.04. I was wondering if I could install software that's not originally built for Debian, such as gmusicbrowser, which I find the best player for my library. Do I have just to add the APT line to the permitted repositories? What about dependencies? I know you'll probably tell me to use another juke box player, but it is also a matter of curiosity.
Thanks.

craigevil

Re: Installing Ubuntu packages on Debian

#2 Post by craigevil »

Package gmusicbrowser
* squeeze (testing) (sound): graphic jukebox for large collections of mp3/ogg/flac/mpc files
1.0.2-2: all
* sid (unstable) (sound): graphic jukebox for large collections of mp3/ogg/flac/mpc files
1.0.2-2: all

It is not in stable, so what you can do is create your own backport.

Install the Debian source (and the development tools, especially debhelper), and then build the package. Step by step:
1. add a deb-src line for sid to your sources.list
# Unstable Sources
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get build-dep packagename
4. apt-get -b source packagename
5. the resulting debs should be in the current directory, install it with dpkg -i packagename
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

julian67

#3 Post by julian67 »

Even easier: http://gmusicbrowser.org/download.html
For debian/ubuntu users, a very basic repository is available by adding this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list :
deb http://gmusicbrowser.org/deb ./
To check the authenticity of the package, you need to import this key into your trusted software providers list.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

craigevil

#4 Post by craigevil »

julian67 wrote:Even easier: http://gmusicbrowser.org/download.html
For debian/ubuntu users, a very basic repository is available by adding this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list :
deb http://gmusicbrowser.org/deb ./
To check the authenticity of the package, you need to import this key into your trusted software providers list.
Awesome didn't have that in my Giant sources.list.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#5 Post by mzilikazi »

That is most assuredly a bad idea.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

AdrianTM

#6 Post by AdrianTM »

mzilikazi wrote:Re: Installing Ubuntu packages on Debian

Why so? APT is very capable, even if a program would not work you can always remove it, also if it wants to write on files that belongs to other packages it will fail, so what's the risk? If there's no Debian package available you can try at least to see if the Ubuntu package works. That of course if you don't have such a distaste (and mental sickness, see my sig) that would stop you behave rationally...
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

craigevil

#7 Post by craigevil »

AdrianTM wrote:

Why so? APT is very capable, even if a program would not work you can always remove it, also if it wants to write on files that belongs to other packages it will fail, so what's the risk? If there's no Debian package available you can try at least to see if the Ubuntu package works. That of course if you don't have such a distaste (and mental sickness, see my sig) that would stop you behave rationally...
Simply installing a single Ubuntu package can cause apt/aptitude/dpkg to have issues. Just search over at linuxquestions.org for all the people that had issues installing the Adobe flash package. Ubuntu packages are not compatible with Debian they change too many things. If you want Ubuntu then you run Ubuntu, if you want Debian run Debian do not mix the two.
My Giant Sources.list

dbbolton

#8 Post by dbbolton »

If you really need a piece of software for which no official binary package exists, consider building your own: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

AdrianTM

#9 Post by AdrianTM »

Simply installing a single Ubuntu package can cause apt/aptitude/dpkg to have issues. Just search over at linuxquestions.org [...]
I don't buy it. I haven't tested this, but I won't take the words of noobs on this either. APT is great, if something doesn't work simply remove it.

dbbolton

#10 Post by dbbolton »

AdrianTM wrote:
Simply installing a single Ubuntu package can cause apt/aptitude/dpkg to have issues. Just search over at linuxquestions.org [...]
I don't buy it. I haven't tested this, but I won't take the words of noobs on this either. APT is great, if something doesn't work simply remove it.
Test this then:

Code: Select all

wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc6_2.11.1-0ubuntu7_i386.deb && dpkg --force-all -i ./libc6_2.11.1-0ubuntu7_i386.deb
Good luck.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

AdrianTM

#11 Post by AdrianTM »

dpkg --force-all
Oh, here's the stupidity.

Absent Minded

#12 Post by Absent Minded »

AdrianTM wrote:

Even for you I find this completely obserd!! You have been around Debian long enough to expressly know why this is not a good idea. Up to this point I had thought you had at least "some" common sense to go with your new occupation of defending poor Ubuntu from the nasty "Ubuntu haters" on the "Elitest" Debian forum.

Oddly, I thought you had more class than to try and make it sound like this is something "completely normal" and an acceptable everyday practice. Do you not have any respect or regard at all for others? In essance you are encuraging others that are not as well informed as you should be by now to destabalize or completely break their systems by introducing foreign packages designed for a bianarliy incompatable distro.

It really disturbes me that you would stoop this low just to exhonorate your beloved Ubuntu.

Having said all that, I know that not "every" package designed "exclusively" for Ubuntu will distroy a stable Debian install. However, why take the risk when there are other options availible? Especially when so many Ubuntu packages "will" destabilize or completely brake an otherwise stable and usable Debian system.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

AdrianTM

#13 Post by AdrianTM »

When have we hired illiterate mods?

Absent Minded

#14 Post by Absent Minded »

AdrianTM wrote:When have we hired illiterate mods?
While some things have never been important to me, intelligence is not measured by what one knows or remembers. It is instead measured by ones ability to come up with credible solutions.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

AdrianTM

#15 Post by AdrianTM »

EDIT: censored myself
Last edited by AdrianTM on 2010-05-05 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

craigevil

#16 Post by craigevil »

Just one example:
[SOLVED] Can't open synaptic after trying install flash deb of ubuntu - http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... tu-739384/

One single package screwed up the poor guys system, just one. It is never a good idea to install ubuntu packages on Debian.
Either find a repo that has the package you want or build a backport yourself.

Anyone that says it is OK to install a package not made for a distro is either insane or totally clueless.

There aren't that many packages that ubuntu has that can't be found for Debian.
My Giant Sources.list

nadir

#17 Post by nadir »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 36#p296402

I have reported the posts of AdrianTM. One of them has been changed/removed. An adequate answer would be beyond the realm of words.
I am very disappointed why one needs to attack another user personally in such a manner.
Its a shame.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

AdrianTM

#18 Post by AdrianTM »

nadir wrote:http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 36#p296402

I have reported the posts. An adequate answer would be beyond the realm of words.
I am very disappointed why one needs to attack another user personally in such a manner.
Its a shame.
Do you want me to explain? I can.

First of all notice who attacked personally first:
Even for you I find this completely obserd!!
Funny, right?
Up to this point I had thought you had at least "some" common sense[...]
Moderator talk?
Oddly, I thought you had more class [...]
Again, coming unprovoked from somebody that I didn't even address.
Do you not have any respect or regard at all for others?
Not for people with IQ in two digits.
In essance you are encuraging others that are not as well informed as you should be by now to destabalize or completely break their systems by introducing foreign packages designed for a bianarliy incompatable distro.
In essence if you don't understand a point, don't get involved.
It really disturbes me that you would stoop this low [...]
Seeing so much stupidity coming from a mod on this forum is disturbing to me.
your beloved Ubuntu.
**** you, don't pretend you know what I think and what I like.

1. My point was that APT is a good tool and if you don't do stupid things like installing a foreign deb with --force-all it will reasonably protect you.
2. There's nothing magic about .debs. You can unpack them manually, it's just file files! You can even run an unpacked program from a deb, the problem is if you overwrite important files, see point one.
3. I don't even defend Ubuntu here, the point is about any debs and APT.
4. I don't encourage people to do anything I just expressed a technical personal opinion and I was personally attacked by a moderator, how do you expect to react? You can disagree, you can say that my idea is dangerous but to come with personal attacks like that is "redeculous" to quote one of our mods.
5. English is my third language, I don't criticize people for English mistakes, but it starts to get on my nerves when I see mods haven't discovered the great tool called "spell-checker" yet.
6. And most importantly you can disagree with me like other people did in that thread without attacking my person and without rolling your eyes (especially when your knowledge is limited and don't really get what I'm talking about).

AdrianTM

#19 Post by AdrianTM »

And finally, to return the discussion to the technical issues, can anybody find me an official Ubuntu (or any other deb distro) package that installs cleanly on Debian (by "cleanly" I mean without using --force-all) that breaks APT and can't be removed cleanly (and here by cleanly I mean without leaving any major problems behind)? Thanks!

I don't even claim that's impossible, I don't think it's likely, as I said "I don't buy it".

pcalvert

#20 Post by pcalvert »

This thread seems somewhat relevant to what's being discussed here:
"b0rked" my Linux OS ;)

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.