Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Define partition table type in preseeding file

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
wilhelmf

Define partition table type in preseeding file

#1 Post by wilhelmf »

I'm trying to define the partition table type (I want to set it to msdos) for an automatic installation using preseeding file.
(Why? I want to setup a software RAID 1 with two 2TB disks, by default the installer uses gpt partition tabless on those disks, where it's tricky to install grub(2), as there is no mbr, and the root partition is on a md device)
During manual installtion it is possible to set the partition table type (by setting debconf priority to low).

according to debconf-get-selections the right option should be

Code: Select all

partman-partitioning    partman-partitioning/choose_label       select  msdos
Those are the varients I already tried, but the in any case a gpt partition table was created

Code: Select all

#d-i partman-basicfilesystems/choose_label string msdos
#partman-partitioning    partman-partitioning/choose_label       select  msdos
d-i partman-partitioning/choose_label select msdos
d-i partman-partitioning/confirm_write_new_label boolean true
Does anyone know what I have to put in my config file so that a msdos partition table will be created
Also any other solution is welcome. I just want to have my root partition on a raid 1 and have grub installed, so that it boots up

(No other OS is installed on the boxes. Debian squeeze is used)

Thx for you help!

wilhelmf

Re: Define partition table type in preseeding file

#3 Post by wilhelmf »

yes, I did. Unfortunately this document doesn't contain any information about options not documented in it and nothing about partition table types.
I had everything working perfectly before the installer started to create gpt tables.
As the document describes you cannot partition several disks with it (unless you want to have them identically like in raid scenarios, such as I have)